+ Reply
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SlingBox's SlingPlayer submitted to AppStore

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Your success in viewing will only be as fast as the "weakest link" so to speak. If your upload from your home is slow, or your download at wherever you
    My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Your success in viewing will only be as fast as the "weakest link" so to speak. If your upload from your home is slow, or your download at wherever you are is slow, then your streaming will be slow. If your upload from your home is ALWAYS slow, then it won't matter where you are at - the stream will be bogged down at your home. If your upload speed is fast, then you will be able to stream fine, as long as your download is fast enough whereever you are at that moment. I hope this makes sense in "laymens terms"

I should also add that the slingbox employs a method of compressing the signal out of the slingbox, and then decompressing the same signal with the slingplayer software that will provide better than expected streaming. There are times when I can't get other audio to stream well, but my sling will stream acceptably.

Thanks

the bottleneck is your upload speed at home.

if you are abroad with a download speed of 1000000000 mbps download speed and 1000000 mbps upload speed (really amazing internet) , the maximum you will be able to watch your slingbox stream at is 700kbps.

If you are abroad with a download speed of 2mbps and upload speed of 56 kbps, the maximum you will be able to watch your slingbox stream at is 700 kbps.

Your download speed is only an issue when it is lower than your upload speed at home.

Nearly the whole time you will use your slingbox remotely your download speed will be quicker than your homes 700 kbps upload speed.

If you download the slingplayer software from the website and PM me ill give you my slingbox ID etc so you can log onto it and see what the quality is like at my upload speeds.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

WTF? When is this app going to drop? I am about to lose it!
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 04-01-2009 at 12:04 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianmarocco's Avatar
    Thanks

Having just upgraded to a 3G phone I am really hoping this does come out. My concern has however been mentioned, the battery life is really going to be compromised. If rumors of the new phone that may or may not come out in June are true, then I would not be surprised if Apple says no now and then approved it later, or just strings them along...and along...and along...kind of like how they do this with us

Thanks

Watching a television show - or looking at anything on a lit screen on your iphone - is obviously going to drain the battery.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Well, that's pissed on my fireworks
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

My new media center extender came today. My new SlingBox Pro HD should arrive tomorrow.(should be the perfect closet combo) I've never had a slingbox before and I'm excited to get the basics working in anticipation of the iphone app launch.

Thanks

This sucks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    This sucks
    It's life.

I won't ever buy another product from Sling - but I doubt if they will notice.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    It's life.

I won't ever buy another product from Sling - but I doubt if they will notice.

Oh noes!!! You shouldn't buy another product from Apple either, since they are charging people with first gen iPhones for 3.0 firmware upgrades.

See if Steve will notice.

Probably not.

Thanks

A couple of points.
    1) Apple aren't going to charge 1st Gen phones for 3.0 - only Touch owners.
    2) I really don't care

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    the bottleneck is your upload speed at home.

if you are abroad with a download speed of 1000000000 mbps download speed and 1000000 mbps upload speed (really amazing internet) , the maximum you will be able to watch your slingbox stream at is 700kbps.

If you are abroad with a download speed of 2mbps and upload speed of 56 kbps, the maximum you will be able to watch your slingbox stream at is 700 kbps.

Your download speed is only an issue when it is lower than your upload speed at home.

Nearly the whole time you will use your slingbox remotely your download speed will be quicker than your homes 700 kbps upload speed.

If you download the slingplayer software from the website and PM me ill give you my slingbox ID etc so you can log onto it and see what the quality is like at my upload speeds.
    thanks reeko.

but it wont really give me a true reflection of what i might get when i'm abroad. sometimes i will only get crappy DL speeds when i'm on some remote island in thailand or the philippines. at home i'm on a really good connection.

Thanks

This is never getting approved by Apple. I hope this is ready for baseball season.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mombopete View Post
    This is never getting approved by Apple. I hope this is ready for baseball season.
    That makes no sense. If you think it is never getting approved, then why would you hope it is ready for baseball season?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    That makes no sense. If you think it is never getting approved, then why would you hope it is ready for baseball season?
    I said it's never getting approved because it's taking forever. It was submitted well over a week ago. Does that make sense?

Thanks

i have been refreshing the app store every hour for a week now.

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

it will never get approved.
    Apple has to many products that directly compete with Sling to ever allow it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mombopete View Post
    I said it's never getting approved because it's taking forever. It was submitted well over a week ago. Does that make sense?
    Ummm... no, it doesn't make sense because "never" means, well... it means "never." When you say that you believe it will "never" be released, you are saying that you believe the app will not ever be approved by Apple, and will not ever become released. So, if you believe that, then to hope it is approved before baseball begins makes no logical sense.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    i have been refreshing the app store every hour for a week now.
    It has often taken apps well over a month from submission until either approval and release, or non-approval. I understand that Apple is quite backed up in reviewing and approving apps.

It may or may not get approved. Just like everyone else here, I am very much looking forward to its approval. I have been waiting far longer than a week - I have been waiting since I switched from using a WMobile phone two years ago, since I was able to sling on it with no problems at all. SlingPlayer is the one app that I have longed for ever since I got my first iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    it will never get approved.
    Apple has to many products that directly compete with Sling to ever allow it.
    Not true. There is no app at all that competes with it.
    Last edited by tsatryan; 04-03-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

+ Reply
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast