Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SlingBox's SlingPlayer submitted to AppStore

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

this app will not get approved. why you may ask? it is simple, it will take revenue away from iTunes. Apple can get $1.99 an episode for TV shows on the iTunes store. why would they settle for a percentage of sales from this app??

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenNove View Post
    Ok i been holding off buying a slingbox. If this gets approved slingmedia you have a new customer.
    Same. I don't need to watch TV online, but I'd love to watch it on my phone. So it's pointless the buy the box before the app is out because I have a feeling Apple won't approve the app. I really hope I'm wrong, though.

But as soon as that app is in the App Store, I'm going to buy it immediately, just in case Apple decides to remove it later like they did with NetShare. :/
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

I'm new to slingbox. How exactly does it work? Someone give me the play by play.

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Forgive my noobness but how is this any better than Orb?

Sling takes your TV input or DVD or any other input you can view on your TV and broadcasts it.

Orb, I believe just allows you to view media on your computer.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

soulthoughts (03-27-2009)

The slingbox is great and I am really hoping for a fast approval of this app. It looks like they are finally getting things on the iPhone right with the new 3.0 coming out but I can tell you if the sling app gets rejected and you cant get it by jailbreaking either I will be looking to go back to a windows mobile phone.

Thanks

With the slingbox and the slingplayer on your mac/pc/iphone , by pressing '123' on your keyboard, it transmites that to your slingbox at home, which sends that command to your skybox via infared (as if you where at home using your remote)

You can change to any channel that you could at home, can even turn your skybox on / off, record things with sky+, watch recorded things - its great.

The biggest flaw is, when on the home network the quality + speed of connection is great.

When connecting remotely, you are limited by the upload speed of the network the slingbox is connected to. My 2 networks are both limited to 250kb ul speeds each, and because of my lame *** area i cant upgrade yet.

This means even if you are connecting from somewhere with a 10000000000mbs download speed, you will only be able to stream at a maximum of 250kbs

The biggest limitation of the slingbox is ISP's upload speeds.

This is bad when watching on your mac/pc because the picture is only really watchable if you scale it down very small, it becomes extremely pixalated at full screen.

The iPhone is possibly the most perfect device to use this with. The cropped size would make for perfect viewing on the iPhone.

Also, side note, if anyone here is from the USA and is interested in UK sky (at 250kbs upload ) then i would be interested in a slingswap ...?
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

I seen them demo this on DishNetworks tech talk and it looked amazing..
    Future DishNetwork receivers will have the slingbox feature included, most likely for a fee.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
    Can I hookup a SlingBox to a Windows Vista Media center? I used to be able to use Orb with iPhone OrbCast. Recently Microsoft changed the media center recording format from .DVR-MS to .WTV and we can no long stream or play recordings on another computer/device. (so orb doesnt work any more!)

I'm hoping maybe SlingBox can? If so I'll buy one once the iPhone app is out !
    yes !
    SlingBox Vista Media Center & new iPhone app?: Sling Community
    Last edited by JazJon; 03-27-2009 at 04:48 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

I just now spoke with an individual at Sling. They informed me that today they received an email from Apple indicating approval, and that the app should appear in the AppStore within a matter of days.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tsatryan For This Useful Post:

JazJon (03-28-2009)

Awesome.. I love my slingbox!

what i want to know is that if you own the symbian or wm version do you still have to buy another license...? the fact that you have to buy the app may answer my question but id like to get an official word.

Thanks

I am pretty sure that you will have to buy the app. Every other app that I have had the equivalent for my previous WMobile device necessitated a re-purchase. My understanding is that this is because of the distribution through Apple's AppStore, rather then the company's ability to sell the app on it's own, as is the case with apps for WMobile.

That being said, I will be more than happy to purchase this app for my iPhone. And, I suspect there are thousands of other people who share the same sentiment.

i will as well as i have already purchased a prohd box months ago..

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

My Slingbox Pro HD (ordered, on the way)

After lots of research and helpful suggestions I found the best way to hookup slingbox to a media center windows vista box is to use a Media Center extender. (extenders are on sale for 95 bucks at newegg) This way I can leave my main media center computer to output in hdmi 1080p and I'll set the media center extender to 1080i component (maximum res the sling box will accept as an input)

The Green Button - Slingbox HD with Vista Media Center and new slingbox iPhone app!

I'm excited to have full slingbox access via iphone. This app is what got me interested enough to make this all come together next week.

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    I just now spoke with an individual at Sling. They informed me that today they received an email from Apple indicating approval, and that the app should appear in the AppStore within a matter of days.
    Perfect ! My iPhone just keeps getting better and better
    Last edited by JazJon; 03-28-2009 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    I really hope so. I know as soon as I see the app, I'm buying it before it can be removed.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Funny i am on the list to be notified by Sling about any changes or updates to the slingplayer mobile app for iphone.. they havent even emailed anyone letting them know the app was sent in to apple for review and that it has been accepted or approved.. Lets see if they even send out emails letting us know that it released..

next on the list and more importantly should be to get parity between the windows version 2 slingplayer and the old neglected mac version 1 slingplayer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maconsultant View Post
    Funny i am on the list to be notified by Sling about any changes or updates to the slingplayer mobile app for iphone.. they havent even emailed anyone letting them know the app was sent in to apple for review and that it has been accepted or approved.. Lets see if they even send out emails letting us know that it released..
    I wouldn't expect any email notification from them until the application is actually released. To expect more than that isn't realistic. And - I am also sure that you will find out that the app is released right here far earlier than when you receive their email!

Quote Originally Posted by maconsultant View Post
    next on the list and more importantly should be to get parity between the windows version 2 slingplayer and the old neglected mac version 1 slingplayer
    Agreed on that. The windows version if far superior to the current Mac version - although the current Mac version is far better than the previous Mac version.

It seems to be Slings "method of operation" of dealing exclusively with one software version at a time, releasing it, and then moving on to the next platform. It seemed as though they announced the move of the BB version from beta to officially released 1.0, and then within moments of that, announced that they had submitted the iPhone version to Apple. So, if that pattern continues, I would expect to see the completion of the iPhone platform before any move to another version for the Mac.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

should be on monday

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast