Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone activated without AT&T

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone activated without AT&T
    Jon Lech Johansen (DVD Jon) has found a way to activate the iPhone, without AT&T. Apparently the phone doesn't work, but the rest of the functions do (iPod, wifi).

Some are replying it works, the rest don't know the difference between an offset and a hole in the ground.. Thanks again Jon! Can't wait to see what else he has in store.
    Last edited by exNavy; 07-04-2007 at 07:11 AM.
    Hmm...

Wow, good stuff. I'm sure it is only a matter of time before it is unlocked.

Default More like cripple the phone
    Just cause you take away a feature doesnt make it fixed. All he did was figure out a way to make the iphone not a phone. Its not unlocked OR activated as anything but a flashy ipod. DVD john has done amazing stuff Ill give him that but this is nothing more than crippling the iphone.

So i am going based on my HTC Wizard, or Cingular 8125 that I bought last year...

There is some merrit to having a phone without the service plan. The story goes as this...

My wife and I went to Israel last summer, and one thing that we noticed was there was literally a hot spot on every corner. I thought it would be great to have something that could log onto WiFi so I wouldn't have to log onto a public computer to check my email and such. At that time last year, there were only 2 or 3 phones that did it. The HTC wizard, and something else. So when we got back to the U.S. I purchased a cingular 8125, and they tried to sell me the "service plan". They kept saying that it would be useless, ETC... However I kept my regular plan, and used the internet whenever I came across a hotspot. It's actually pretty nice to have a phone that can browse in full HTML, and do POP3, and SMTP mail service.

I am going to assume that you could probably do the same thing with the iPhone if you pushed the issue with ATT. Just buy it, activate it, and say to ell with the plan, it's got WiFi, why do I need it?

there isnt really an option you either get a plan w/ the data or dont use your phone

When you activate the phone on iTunes you will have to select an iPhone data plan to activate it.

The next question is let's say at some point you decide you want the phone and no other discoveries happen. How do you do that? Do you replace your offset edited version of iTunes with an original version and reconnect it to activate? I'd had to see people cripple the phone and not be able to reverse the process.

I don't know about anyone else, but one thing I have learned throughout my years is to always consider the future resale value of expensive things that I buy. The iPhone is a lot more valuable if I can sell it being full featured.
    Last edited by exNavy; 07-05-2007 at 02:47 AM.
    Hmm...

Why wouldn't you be able too?

so lemme get this straight...

I buy the phone...

I turn it on....

And unless i install iTunes and "activate it", it's nothing more then a 500 dollar brick?

nothing against Apple, well maybe a little...

But does anyone remember a certain Ridley Scott commercial way back in the 80's saying that Apple was the saviour to "big brother" IBM...

I am not going to go no some tangent about that, but I am just saying...

Haha, classic.

And yes, you will have an iBrick without activation.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,226 Posts

Course, if you just want an iPod that does video (which is about all you have without any sort of data plan), then buy an iPod with video, and save yourself half the cost.

As to the wifi, yeah, that I wish you could do... ah well, such is life.

Back on topic, DVD Jon has done a great one this time! Yes, it essentially cripples your iPhone, but this is an important first step...

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Yes yes, back on topic... just needed to feel that out a bit...

Did anyone see my other post about anandtech's iPhone dissection?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,226 Posts

Yessir... what about it?

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

nothing really, i was just wondering if anyone got a chance to look at it and if it was of any use.