Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Significantly Faster Internet Connection" in Future iPhone Model(s)?

Thanks

Arrow "Significantly Faster Internet Connection" in Future iPhone Model(s)?

Even after iPhone 3G was launched, internet speeds still remained an issue for many. Silicon Alley Insider claims that the next iPhone will have a "significantly faster Internet connection". It's unclear whether the statement refers to Wi-fi or 3G network.

At least we're quite sure that iPhone wont be shifting to 4G as even the current 3G network is far from perfect. Based on the statement, they have made some wild guesses.

* This can't be referring to AT&T's 4G (LTE) network, because that won't be ready for a year or more.
    * This might be referring to faster wifi, and not faster 3G access? (802.11n vs. its current 802.11g/b.)
    * AT&T has repeatedly vowed to speed up its 3G network via updates to the network. Is it possible that the current iPhone can't support those increased speeds?
    * We don't expect Apple to comment, but we've asked.
    * Either way, we hope it's true. At least in New York, the iPhone's pokey 3G speed has been its biggest shortcoming.
    While they don't guarantee if the rumor will be true or not but Electronista seems to have some good news about AT&T's plans for a faster 3G.

At the same time, AT&T has been trialing 7.2Mbps 3G since late 2008 and should roll out the speedier service this year. The provider has stressed that many of its cell towers can be upgraded solely through software rather than new equipment.

Current iPhones are limited in hardware to 3.6Mbps 3G and couldn't themselves be upgraded.
    They also report about a new Infenion 3G chip to be launched this year that'd double 3G speeds from 3.6 MB to 7.2 MB while increasing the battery life as well. They also suggest a possible upgrade of the Wi-Fi chip to 802.11n (the ones used in Airport Extreme) from the current 802.11b/g.

We will soon know what the new Phone will sport but for now, these rumors are quite interesting.

[Silicon Valley Insider and Electronista]

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sayam For This Useful Post:

frankybro007 (03-20-2009), MaxRabbit (04-08-2009), r1994augusto (03-20-2009)

Thanks

Let's hope June shows something nice.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    Let's hope June shows something nice.
    yeah, me too! I might get the new iphone as soon as it is launched here Hope it's not $600 this time...

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sayam View Post
    yeah, me too! I might get the new iphone as soon as it is launched here Hope it's not $600 this time...
    If it's without a contract, I am sure it will be...
    As for 3G... PLENTY of cities here in the states don;t even have a 3G network. I would love to actually have the network before they start upgrading 3G speeds. In areas where I do get 3G, I can't say I would complain about the speeds, though. Seems to me they are working a little backwards here.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Default " its a real screamer"
    802.11n plus the 7.2 3G would be a homerun if it didnt screw with the battery. have any phones come out supporting N. Im not sure but i dont think so

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    If it's without a contract, I am sure it will be...
    As for 3G... PLENTY of cities here in the states don;t even have a 3G network. I would love to actually have the network before they start upgrading 3G speeds. In areas where I do get 3G, I can't say I would complain about the speeds, though. Seems to me they are working a little backwards here.
    umm.. i live in India

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankybro007 View Post
    802.11n plus the 7.2 3G would be a homerun if it didnt screw with the battery. have any phones come out supporting N. Im not sure but i dont think so
    I wouldn't doubt it if it had N technology, since Apple is shipping all their computer hardware with N as of late 2008, I believe.

Obviously they need to sort of some of the aforementioned 3G issues before June.
    Respect your elders.

just saw this news couple days ago:

Dubai: etisalat, one of the region's largest telecom operators, on Monday announced it would bring mobile broadband speed of up to 28.8Mbps for download and 18.0Mbps for upload in the second half of this year, making it the fastest speed globally.

During trials, it has recorded mobile broadband download speed of 20.37Mbps, the highest experienced in the region. The results of the trial were announced at the South Asia, Middle East and North Africa Telecommunications Council in Beirut on Monday.

Currently the fastest mobile broadband download speed in the world is 21Mbps, which was recorded last month.

Gulf News reported earlier that the operator would increase its speeds to 14.4Mbps by the end of 2008, which is the commercial speed at the moment. The upload speed currently goes up to 5.7 Mbps.

"Mobile broadband has an important role to play in the Middle East region and we will see a significant growth in uptake in services," said Nasser Bin Obood, chief corporate affairs officer of etisalat.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Sweet, I'm sooo getting the iPhone 3rd gen.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

just perfect!!!

Thanks

They should have thought of this since the beginning. It's about time the connection problem should be fixed.

The new I phones will be released near the Holiday season.
    Not to sure on the price. I have been hearing $ 399-$599
    The phones will not be released this summer only the 3.0 software.

yeah, me too! I might get the new iphone as soon as it is launched here Hope it's not $600 this time..
    How much do you want it to be then ? $600 without contract is fairly normal...

You guys are lucky for living in the US and are complaining about a 600-dollar-iPhone!
    Here in Brasil we have to pay about 1000 AMERICAN DOLLARS for an iPhone with a 1-year-plan and about 1500 AMERICAN DOLLARS for a free one!!!!
    I Think we have too much more to complain about, don't we?
    Apple shoul work on that... I'm still in the 2G version and don't know if I'll be able to buy a new one (if it comes out this year, wich i'm really looking forward to!!)

But the iPhone ROCKS!!!

I just want there to be no hassle with "Contract only" sales.

Then same folks gonna get them from somewhere and sell them with HIGH premium on eBay !! I hated when I saw like $1200 iPhone.

Now on, companies should give option to consumers ...

like $200 with contract and $700 without contract ... whatever.

im hoping for LTE but its not gunna happen this quick

they may enable support for it though for when it does come out even though that would be bad marketing strategy

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am aware of that. But they don;t force you into contract in India if you don't want to, right? hence, Apple will not be selling you a cheaper phone out of contract because they still want to make their money which is around 5-600 bucks per unit.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

A high quality Video recording option sounds great too (along with multi-core CPU)

AppleInsider | Source: Apple's next-gen iPhone has video camera

Very interesting comments too...
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=96555
    Last edited by JazJon; 03-20-2009 at 07:54 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JazJon For This Useful Post:

PlatoTheForms (03-20-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jpepster View Post
    The phones will not be released this summer only the 3.0 software.
    It's basically confirmed a new phone will be released in Summer, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by cparzianello View Post
    1500 AMERICAN DOLLARS for a free one!!!!
    lololololololololol
    Respect your elders.

iPhone? More like MyPhone PlatoTheForms's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
    A high quality Video recording option sounds great too (along with multi-core CPU)

AppleInsider | Source: Apple's next-gen iPhone has video camera

Very interesting comments too...
    Source: Apple's next-gen iPhone has video camera - AppleInsider
    multicore mobile cpu?, sounds great! we will finally see Crysis on the iphone oh yeah!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast