+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pre-Investment in an iPhone App Can Make You Lose Half a Million Dollars!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple's procedure for the AppStore approval has always been cumbersome. Many great apps have been rejected for useless reasons, many useless apps got accepted as well and many were totally
    Thanks

Angry Pre-Investment in an iPhone App Can Make You Lose Half a Million Dollars!

Apple's procedure for the AppStore approval has always been cumbersome. Many great apps have been rejected for useless reasons, many useless apps got accepted as well and many were totally ignored. The current procedure has left many good companies gaping. FreedomVoice is no exception!

The story of FreedomVoice urges me to wonder if Apple is actually approving apps by trial and error? The company submitted an app named newber about half a year ago but it is yet to be approved! According to them, all Apple guidelines were followed while making the app- leaving no errors. The app transfers an on-going call to another phone with out dropping the call. The company has tried to pester Apple using several methods but are yet to get a comment on the current situation. Finally, the company had to quit working on application which has entirely ruined a $600,000 investment on the app (including a $50,000 CES booth).

The company should have been careful before spending the money as I don't consider big pre-acceptance publicity a good idea! The company is however not much worried about current investment as they believe they could re-structure it to use with their other AppStore app FreedomIQ. "The developer time will also be re-purposed when we flesh out the application for more serious platforms (BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, etc.) at a later date and integrate it with FreedomIQ." said Eric Thomas, the CEO of FreedomVoice.

All the company wants to know is whether Apple wants to reject or accept the app. They do not even care if the app gets rejected but need just a comment from Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Thomas
    We just want to get Apple to have the social conscience to have a conversation. They can even tell me no.
    This story is so far the worst one in the AppStore scenario but if Apple doesn't mend its ways, we might see some worse stuff really soon!

[Wired]

Graphic made by at004 a.k.a Amine
    Last edited by sayam; 03-20-2009 at 02:29 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sayam For This Useful Post:

xwinger (03-20-2009)

Thanks

it lose not loose

that sucks so much. losing $600,000 =O I didn't know that the app submitting process was THIS bad.
    Last edited by xwinger; 03-20-2009 at 01:51 PM.
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

4. The Following User Says Thank You to xwinger For This Useful Post:

sayam (03-20-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone r1994augusto's Avatar
    Thanks

wt...f
    this is so bad!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Wow. Never really thought about it that way. And Apple doesn't even have to approve stuff even if the apps follow all their rules...scary.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That sucks would love for apple to approve iblacklist to filter calls

Thanks

Wow! Thats pretty bad, i wish those guys the best. It looks like they will need it.

Thanks

MMI 'writers' are awesome-o
    To live, you have to lie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    MMI 'writers' are awesome-o
    huh??
    Last edited by sayam; 03-20-2009 at 03:11 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

can you say cydia store?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

By the sound of it, I would say it's actually ATT saying no to this. They don't want you to save those precious minutes... why would they?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default FreedomIQ
    Newber is an app, FreedomIQ is not. FreedomIQ is a Hosted VoIP PBX: Business VoIP Service | FreedomIQ

Thanks

Who would spend $600,000 investing on an app?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    By the sound of it, I would say it's actually ATT saying no to this. They don't want you to save those precious minutes... why would they?
    Exactly. And like I said in my previous post, even if the dev follows all the rules, Apple still has the right to reject any app they want. But good thing there is a plan B called Cydia. I know having your app in the App Store is better, but rather $600,000 be wasted, might as well try to get your money back. :/
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I would be pissed if Apple ignored me.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
    Exactly. And like I said in my previous post, even if the dev follows all the rules, Apple still has the right to reject any app they want. But good thing there is a plan B called Cydia. I know having your app in the App Store is better, but rather $600,000 be wasted, might as well try to get your money back. :/
    I can see where you are going with this, but Cydia is not going to have a chance of re-cooping what these guys are hoping to get back from the app. A handful of users versus a world wide base of users...don't see it happening.

Thanks

Apple might be up to something. If an awesome app comes about that has an awesome feature which Apple never thought of they will hang the app in approval for a while and even rejected them. Anyone remember that time when that pod cast app was rejected by Apple and then in the next few months Apple added that feature into their IPhone OS? Even Apple makes awesome products they are very self center and too arrogant.