Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SDK 3.0 - Developers are Happy

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Default SDK 3.0 - Developers are Happy

With the announcement of the iPhone OS 3.0 comes the announcement of the 3.0 version of the iPhone SDK.

The new SDK is available now(ish) from the Apple Developer Center to registered iPhone developers.

Apple claims over 1,000 new APIs are included for developers, allowing for a host of new features in your iPhone apps. In-app purchasing will allow for devs to create and vend new content (think new level packs or maps, new comics, special weapons/characters in games, etc). This is a huge new market for iPhone developers who have been frustrated with the initial push in income from an iPhone app which quickly dwindles to a trickle - and a good way to keep users happy with their apps. Dynamic content makes for an app you'd like to come back to more often.

Peer to peer connectivity is now directly accessible from the SDK, meaning you can play your friend via Bluetooth (no pairing required) in games, or transfer files directly to each other through apps that could come out - or updates to existing apps.

Push notification finally going live means quasi-backgrounding. Apps can now send an SMS, trigger an alert, or add a badge even when your app is not running.

The External Accessory framework is pretty cool too - make the iPhone into an external remote for any hardware device, connecting to it through the 30 pin connector or with Bluetooth. Hey Sony - you hear that? My PS3 wants my iPhone to control DVD playback. A $1.99 app is way cheaper than that $30 DVD remote you sell.

There's a ton more - like Maps included in-app, or access to the iPod library including playback etc. Download the SDK and start writing!

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

maxwinick (03-17-2009)

Thanks

Finaly im so happy im an sdk member

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I can't believe Apple is letting devs charge within their own app - unless they still receive some of the profits.

P2P through apps that could come out? Does that mean A2DP will also be available or could be available very soon after the release?

WHAT?! Apps can send SMS with the new push feature?! I hope not, or I hope no dev of an app I use decides to do this. I have unlimited texting, but I think this would get really annoying.

But I'm just so excited for MMS! Can't wait til 3.0 is jailbroken. ;]
    Last edited by Channan; 03-17-2009 at 03:09 PM.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

My iPhone is a Part of Me nycdiplomat's Avatar
    Thanks

1st, yea apple is definitely on a take over mission, new macbook release and now this... its hard to compete with them right now
    waiting on my iPhone 6+

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

The In-app purchasing should keep the clutter of 10 different versions of the same program being re-released. That was the only way a dev could generate new profit. Hopefully we just see one app now with upgrade options later down the road instead.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JazJon For This Useful Post:

plcrules (03-23-2009)

I think we will finally see Tom Tom in the app store!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheOrioles33 For This Useful Post:

creolesoul (03-17-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ithug's Avatar
    Thanks

this is sweet cant wait for the summer..not only is OS 3.o the shizz but the iPhone 3g 2nd gen is gonna make the 3.0 OS even better(my opinion)

I like it and hate it at the same time about the "In App" options.

On one hand, imagine every App with LITE attached to the name being disregarded. While trying the a free version you can now upgrade to the Full Version without going through the process of searching, and re-installing. Maybe this will mean all-around cheaper apps for those of us that aren't die hard gamers. We have the PS3 and xbox for that, right?

I'm sure some developers will be doing the NICKEL and DIME thing because the tempation is there and alluring. Zynga (Live Poker, Live Poker Deluxe etc) has already found a way to work the system, promote they're other apps, and make some extra cash.

Just my thoughts....

PS: Would someone mind sending me a copy of the FW 3.0 Beta?

Yeah would someone send me the 3.0 Beta software as well, i would like to try it out

Yes... I was wondering if the firmware will be leaked anytime soon...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I would love to get my hands on it.
    I have a friend with the 3.0 i tried to get him to let me use his sdk to get it.
    No luck. ;/

I would also like to try the beta. Anyone got it?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Come on. I know some of you have it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rkisling's Avatar
    Thanks

Unfortunately not available unless you are a paid member of the developer program -- otherwise you can only access 2.2.1 SDK and OS

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

Someone replied to my complaint about no Video recording feature in a post I made on Engadget. They have a good point. (sounds promising, maybe?)

"A video recorder app might be possible with the new API. There was mention of video/audio streaming. A video recorder is not currently possible because the API doesnt give enough control over the camera functions. You might actually find a video recorder on the app store soon."

http://getsatisfaction.com/qik/topic..._appstore_this
    Last edited by JazJon; 03-17-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Any idiot that asks for the beta here after this post will receive an infraction. This isn't the thread (or forum for that matter) for begging.

And that's overlooking the fact that you can't simply just share the FW around.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

Broomhead (03-17-2009), bulletproofcupid (03-17-2009), iRoach74 (03-17-2009), JStraitiff (03-17-2009), Napoleon_PhoneApart (03-18-2009), nrowensby (03-18-2009), rkisling (03-17-2009), XChrisX (03-18-2009)

Thank you Happy Noodle Boy.... I agree and everyone has now been warned

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broomhead For This Useful Post:

bulletproofcupid (03-17-2009), Napoleon_PhoneApart (03-18-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Does this mean all my accessories that say "Charging is not supported" will allow my phone to charge now?
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

I think that is a hardware issue zinjen

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

I've boughten a lot of electronics from the Apple Store and they allow me to play my iphone through speakers and such but won't charge it. Kinda was hoping they would offer a universal docking/accessory that will charge all versions of iphone, ipod etc.

Another example is my Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Head uNIT in my car, it allows ipod connectivity but won't support a charge on the 3G iPhone.
    Last edited by zinjen; 03-17-2009 at 05:00 PM.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast