+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SDK 3.0 - Developers are Happy

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I have mixed feelings about today. On one hand I am happy that so many new features came out and on the other hand I am worried about this new
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have mixed feelings about today. On one hand I am happy that so many new features came out and on the other hand I am worried about this new purchasing system.

Looking at the 3.0 Video on Apples website I noticed a few things.

1) If that SIMS demo showing the user having to pay 99 cents for a Sims stereo option was any indication, we will be paying for every little addition for every core program. This is a really great way for Developers to release half done software for $4.99 and eventually snag the end user slowly nibbling out an additional $15 at 99 cent bursts so they have all the features it should have had from the start. The new hot advice for Developers might be “Never finish an app just keep selling each and every new feature”.

2) I was worried when they said “Free apps must remain free”. I translate that to mean if you put it up for free you will never be able to charge so you better start charging from the start. That could mean Bye Bye to free apps.

I think I get what Apple is trying to do, they are saying the honeymoon is over; it's time to make the App store start to make tons more money. The charging for every upgrade and feature is a new method to not only make cash but also to make it really hard to Pirate any of the Apps. I imagine that every time you do an upgrade the app will also do checks to make sure it's been purchased and if anything is wrong it will disable the app
    Last edited by dreadlk; 03-17-2009 at 05:51 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dreadlk View Post

2) I was worried when they said “Free apps must remain free”. I translate that to mean if you put it up for free you will never be able to charge so you better start charging from the start. That could mean Bye Bye to free apps.
    I think free apps will always be around because there's some people that refuse to spend any amount of money on any app. Plus IF there is a jailbreak, you can guarantee there will be free apps.

Only thing I'm worried about is the ability to jailbreak and unlock the iphone with the new OS. Tmobile users will have to use 2.2 until an unlock for 3.0 comes out, which seems unlikely because they still haven't unlocked 2.2.1 yet.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
    I can't believe Apple is letting devs charge within their own app - unless they still receive some of the profits.
    Are you kidding? Of course they will still receive profits. I am sure all data will still be directly in the appstore linked to your account. I would also bet that all of these paid updates can be found either within the appstore itself, or, if the devs coded it right, within their apps as well. No way they are going to let someone make something like a free trial app and then allow the dev to sell a 20 dollar app within the app without giving Apple a cent. They aren't that stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by dreadlk View Post
    1) If that SIMS demo showing the user having to pay 99 cents for a Sims stereo option was any indication, we will be paying for every little addition for every core program. This is a really great way for Developers to release half done software for $4.99 and eventually snag the end user slowly nibbling out an additional $15 at 99 cent bursts so they have all the features it should have had from the start. The new hot advice for Developers might be “Never finish an app just keep selling each and every new feature”.
    Don't ,forget the ratings system is alive and well. If the apps do this... customers aren't stupid either They will rate it down straight to the depths of hell. There are some games that utilize such a feature on the console market, and they do alright, but by no means are they best sellers. I see this as an easier way for a free trial that can be upgraded for whatever the price of the full app should be right within the app itself.

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    I've boughten a lot of electronics from the Apple Store and they allow me to play my iphone through speakers and such but won't charge it. Kinda was hoping they would offer a universal docking/accessory that will charge all versions of iphone, ipod etc.

Another example is my Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Head uNIT in my car, it allows ipod connectivity but won't support a charge on the 3G iPhone.
    A company called scoche makes a plug that plugs into the dock port of your iphone, which in turn you plug your avic cable into it. The adapter is overprice IMO (about 25 bucks), but is worth it for those cross country trips.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 03-17-2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sweet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

BTW What happened to Voice dialing? The iPhone has got to be the most dangerous phone to use while driving, I have almost crashed on two occasions trying to look at the screen while driving in traffic (Yeah im stupid but I bet everyone does it occasionaly)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i know its already been said but 3.0 is amazing, wait till you can get ahold of it ( i am a developer i really have it ) copy paste is amazing, and the landscape is just perfect. it is a little laggy but its honestly not that bad. anyways. its been a long time sense i have posted here :-/ i miss this place :-D it got to big :-/
    iTouch 2.0 (free update/pwn'd)
    iPhone 3G white (pwn'd)
    MacBook Pro 15inch (using tethered)

2 broken wrists so give me a break. no more 2007 Yamaha r6

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Any idiot that asks for the beta here after this post will receive an infraction. This isn't the thread (or forum for that matter) for begging.

And that's overlooking the fact that you can't simply just share the FW around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    Thank you Happy Noodle Boy.... I agree and everyone has now been warned

Sorry Mods, I think I started that whole thing with a suggestion (request) at the beginning.

So what kind of problems have you Developers ran into so far? I hear that is lagging but what does that mean exactly? Have they included any "Notifier" features? Is there anything that wasn't mentioned thats sticks out at you?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So, if I buy into the SDK dev program, I get to run 3.0 beta on my phone NOW?
    Please verify.

Green Apple
    Thanks

So unless your in the SDK dev you CANT get the 3.0, or does no one want to share? =)

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackedOutMugen View Post
    So unless your in the SDK dev you CANT get the 3.0, or does no one want to share? =)
    Oh hey someone that can't take 30 seconds to read a 2-page long thread.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

People, the 3.0 version thats out for software development ISNT A COMPLETELY WORKING VERSION. Its not gonna do you much good.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Oh hey someone that can't take 30 seconds to read a 2-page long thread.
    lol exactly what i was thinking

Thanks
    Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,170 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackedOutMugen View Post
    FAIL
    You can't even use it, unless Apple gave it to you

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just upgraded to 3.0 via the Dev and as far as copy and paste it works perfect, I have AT&T and MMs = FAIL ... Anyone else having issues sending MMS?

Thanks
    yo anyone have the FW 3.0 PM me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    People, the 3.0 version thats out for software development ISNT A COMPLETELY WORKING VERSION. Its not gonna do you much good.
    What did they leave out of the Beta? What are some of the differences?

Thanks

Everything works pretty good on 3.0 beta as far as I can tell.
    MMS doesn't work. I'm assuming because of AT&T though.
    Copy and paste is nice. Landscape email/text is nice.
    Everything works pretty much except for MMS and of course push notifications, since no app has that implemented to my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by jason0785 View Post
    Just upgraded to 3.0 via the Dev and as far as copy and paste it works perfect, I have AT&T and MMs = FAIL ... Anyone else having issues sending MMS?
    Yea. My MMS isn't working either. I'm wondering if anybody's is working?
    Maybe something I can do to my plan?
    Last edited by llj1137075; 03-18-2009 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wtfisanIphone View Post
    yo anyone have the FW 3.0 PM me
    Hey idiots, STOP BEGGING.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

Napoleon_PhoneApart (03-18-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by llj1137075 View Post
    Everything works pretty good on 3.0 beta as far as I can tell.
    MMS doesn't work. I'm assuming because of AT&T though.
    Copy and paste is nice. Landscape email/text is nice.
    Everything works pretty much except for MMS and of course push notifications, since no app has that implemented to my knowledge.

Yea. My MMS isn't working either. I'm wondering if anybody's is working?
    Maybe something I can do to my plan?
    Wasn't Beejive set-up to use push in advance? Anyone having any luck with that app?

Thanks

I don't have beejive but it would be interesting to know if it works.