+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Can't Bear the Pressure, Shuts Down Free SMS Service for App Devs!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by huntor bc apple>at&t. and bc apple can do w/e the hell they want. if they actually wanted to add mms, they would. at&t might cry a little,
    Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by huntor View Post
    bc apple>at&t.
    and bc apple can do w/e the hell they want.
    if they actually wanted to add mms, they would.
    at&t might cry a little, for reasons no one can understand.
    but in the end apple would win, and so would we.
    Except for the pesky block on MMS by AT&T on iPhone contracts which is completely out of Apple's hands.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mofolo's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple wins, Consumer Looses.

You really think apple cares that much about their customers?

Hell No.

They want you money. And that's that. To them, your nothing but a number with money.

Except for the pesky block on MMS by AT&T on iPhone contracts which is completely out of Apple's hands.
    Why would AT&T block MMS when they could make money off it?
    No, Apple told AT&T to block MMS's in order to discourage users to jailbreak.

John: Hey bob, I want MMS.. So i need to Jailbreak.
    Bob: Don't do that John! Mr Jobs won't like you if you do that sin. Plus, AT&T blocks your MMS's anyhow!
    John: Ahh Rats. Well I guess I'll have to stick to being a boring loser without MMS and miss out on all those sweet as nude photos of my girlfriend.
    Apple is starting to sh!t me.
    myRepoSpace.com - Easily create your own Cydia Repo.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mofolo View Post
    Why would AT&T block MMS when they could make money off it?
    No, Apple told AT&T to block MMS's in order to discourage users to jailbreak.
    No, it really was AT&T. At first they were a bit lenient about it but once the 3G came out they changed things and specifically made it so that when you activate an iPhone plan MMS is automatically blocked.

Apple never bothered with MMS because MMS is nothing more than glorified e-mail in their eyes and since they have the real thing well who needs it, but they did not tell AT&T to block MMS.

I for one could care less about MMS and I've expressed this opinion here many times. However, I will gladly slowly and painfully torture whoever is responsible for viewmymessage.com. It's one thing to disable a service in a phone and it's another to provide the WORST POSSIBLE WORKAROUND IN THE HISTORY OF ANYTHING.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 03-15-2009 at 11:48 PM.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Noodle Boy
    I for one could care less about MMS and I've expressed this opinion here many times. However, I will gladly slowly and painfully torture whoever is responsible for viewmymessage.com. It's one thing to disable a service in a phone and it's another to provide the WORST POSSIBLE WORKAROUND IN THE HISTORY OF ANYTHING.
    Well not all people are the same. Sure I could tell all my friends to remember my email address and send pics there, but it's just not very convenient. And not everyone has email on their phone so they can't check pictures right away, not to mention all the email addresses you have to put in your phone to send pics to everyone.

MMS is just convenient. Though I wish we'd get MMS and a video and audio recorder from Apple to send those file types, too, sending pictures would be enough to make me happy. :]

And actually I have no problem with viewmymessage.com. Just open MMS Buddy and load my images right in there and it's a lot like the MMS app Apple should have given us. Well, 1/2 of it anyway. Multimedia Messages lets me send pics as MMS, but not from my number. I pretty much have MMS on my phone, just not as nice as it could be and a little less convenient.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Banned
    Thanks

Apple wins, Consumer Looses.

You really think apple cares that much about their customers?

Hell No.

They want you money. And that's that. To them, your nothing but a number with money.
    youre retarded if you actually think that.
    every company cares about the customers.

apple let O2 add MMS.
    why not at&t?

Apple told AT&T to block MMS's in order to discourage users to jailbreak.
    thats completely assbackwards. im sure more then a few people jailbroke their phone just for mms.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrblader View Post
    Just like all those people who STILL THINK that they are the ones not supplying the community with MMS.
    Sigh.. this is probably the dumbest statement I've ever seen on the matter. Obviously ATT is guilty by association for not forcing apple to do it, but ultimately it is Apple that does not support it. You don't see SwirlyMMS in the app store, do you? Or MMS support on any other networks? Or any mention of why it's NOT available from Apple like every other feature they purposely excluded?

It's obviously not ATT's fault.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm on Google's side for this one. The Developer had no right using Google's service, and charging other people to use it. Sure he put the time and effort into developing the application, but c'mon.

Google had every right to close it, whether it caused them technical OR financial problems. The hostile attitude of "Innerfence" is really off-putting. Their press releases seemed irritated at Google for shutting them down because "they hadn't done anything wrong, or violated Google's TOC".

Shut up.... You knew it was sketchy when you started.

iPhone? More like MyPhone riku98523's Avatar
    Thanks

"That should mean if your app is in TOP 10, youíre making big bucks."

This line is BS there is a difference from an app that say lets you play videos from your own storage than an app that is constantly costing google money. I am sure the load was extremely high even for google standpoints.

Google has every right to stop this considering you paid what $1 for the app which in turn cost google $2-$100+ per user every day.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I used it for couple of weeks,it was wonderful!
    but we can text message free from AOL or MSN

Thanks

geez google, just think of it as an advertisement/promotion, do i have to tell you everything?

Thanks

wow.... i'm sure AT&T was leaning on them pretty hard. Its cutting out a line of service. i pay 20 a month fo unlimited texts.lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me lightmaster's Avatar
    Thanks

I was considering buying this app the other day, but decided to go with TextFree because I could send and receive text messages on my iTouch. Man am I glad I didn't go with Infinite SMS instead.
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)

Thanks

I loved that app...it really sucks that google has to be such a baby about it. They make a killing and cant afford to allow for free texting....WHATEVER! I am done with GOOGLE! They done pissed me off for the very last time!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,210 Posts

Pretty sure Google has no reason not to shut it down.

Thanks
    Default Let's not forget.
    Let's not forget who approved the app in the first place. (If it hasn't been mentioned already)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's an experimental service and was never meant for production use. Sure it might go production eventually but they are not set up for that yet I would imagine. They are interested in developing some data on these apps for future use but they don't need the entire world slamming them to get it done.

And has been pointed out building your business model off being a parasite on someone else's business isn't very smart nor is it nice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kludge View Post
    And has been pointed out building your business model off being a parasite on someone else's business isn't very smart nor is it nice.
    But providing a user friendly front end for someone else's service is fine

Did infinite claim they were providing the service?
    Did they state that Google were providing a beta service?

I don't know how this was marketed.
    I believe it was just marketed as a front end for Gtalk - but as I don't live in the USA I never saw the app.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

bc apple>at&t.
    and bc apple can do w/e the hell they want.
    if they actually wanted to add mms, they would.
    at&t might cry a little, for reasons no one can understand.
    Apple already supports MMS, I believe O2 supports MMS, so those customers can d/l an app from the appstore that supports MMS.... It's not apple, its AT&T.

Now, I do admit that Apple and AT&T ARE in cahoots with each other, but it is AT&T who will be paying the bills when all that picture data starts flowing through their networks.
    8Gig > 1.0 FW (dead spot on screen)
    8Gig > 1.0.2 FW (broken vibrate after a while)
    8Gig > 1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2(Jonny5 Still alive)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrblader View Post
    Apple already supports MMS, I believe O2 supports MMS, so those customers can d/l an app from the appstore that supports MMS.... It's not apple, its AT&T.

Now, I do admit that Apple and AT&T ARE in cahoots with each other, but it is AT&T who will be paying the bills when all that picture data starts flowing through their networks.
    Not sure what it's like in the US but in the UK MMS is charged separately.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

I guarantee you this has more to do with iphone 3 and its "New Features" list than anything. Think about it.... the new phone comes out with "Cheap" SMS/Text plans and everyone gets off their nuts about not having it in the first 2 phones. If they let google keep doin the whole free thing what will apple have to brag about? Copy paste? Crippled bluetooth? Um... a new 32gb one? Itll support codecs? Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm yeah ya see where im going here..... I guarantee picture messaging will be the highlight of the new iphone and people will run across fire/broken glass/lava to get one... Its apples way of life... give a little but make it pretty... they will come.

Oh and i love my iphone. Because of the apps and... well the thing is damn pretty alright. Yeah i said it.... smartasses...
    Go Ahead. Hit the Thank button... it wont bite.

Tap Tap Revenge is Gay... That is fact.

Giggidy.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12