+ Reply
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SDK Launch Event - Quasi Liveblogging

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It seems that a lot of people are afraid that developers will stop putting software on installer/cydia. I think it will be quite the opposite. Develops have two choices A.)
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It seems that a lot of people are afraid that developers will stop putting software on installer/cydia. I think it will be quite the opposite. Develops have two choices

A.) In order to put software on the Apple installer you have to pay $99, but you get to set your own price; however, you only recieve 70% of the revenue.

B.) You could design your app to require a serial code to unlock the full version and sell those codes through your own site and paypal, where you recieve 100% of the revenue. The downside to the second option is that you reach a more limited market.

But why not do both? Why not charge 20% less for the app via installer/cydia to entice people to purchse it that way, but also put it on the Apple installer for those without jailbroken phones?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sailorguido View Post
    Was anyone else dissapointed by the games announcements? As much fun as a game about a Monkey is, they didn't sign with ID Mobile after John Carmack went on and on about programming for the iphone? Guess this means no DOOM, Quake, Wolfenstein ect.. Is it just me or does anyone still think the greatest games will be the huge library of emulators on the jailbroken phones?
    i was just thinking that...and im going to have to agree with you...but also i agree with that one guy who posted earlier...WHERE THE HECK IS COPY AND PASTE!!!??? games are last on my list...i want BASIC FUNCTIONS...copy/paste/video record(with sound)(and dont tell me showtime.app because im not installing stolen pieces of crap)/flash player....i understand flash is in the works but just like the video record it should have been there in the first place...

Thanks

I can't think of a single Smartphone I've ever owned that had cut/paste functionality right out of the box. The lack of a video camera and MMS capability is a tad ridiculous. What really pisses me off about the MMS ting is that the AT&T rep I bought it from failed to mention that, among other things (contract extension, lack of 3G, etc,).

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sparblaze's Avatar
    Thanks

That AppStore logo sure does look familiar. It sounds like something familiar too.

This looks awesome though. I'm downloading the free SDK kit right now.

Thanks

Good points Rosbaughcr... This will definitely encourage more development... Having an official sdk with documentation will make developing native iphone apps much easier. However, you may end up with many more "less than useful" apps. In the end the user community will decide the best apps... I think the app store could be designed with this in mind... e.g... most popular apps... etc...

downloading the sdk now...

Green Apple
    Thanks

does this mean that right now people could use the sdk to develop great apps that work really really well that we can put on our jailbroken iphones? and on installer because i would imagine you could make an app and it would be compatable with 1.1.3 or 4 that would be really cool. it would allow a lot of people to come out with 1.0 apps insted of .345 apps hahaha

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rosbaughcr View Post
    I can't think of a single Smartphone I've ever owned that had cut/paste functionality right out of the box. The lack of a video camera and MMS capability is a tad ridiculous. What really pisses me off about the MMS ting is that the AT&T rep I bought it from failed to mention that, among other things (contract extension, lack of 3G, etc,).
    iPhone video and MMS are just software. The built-in camera hardware can record video. I bet Apple's been holding back on these to keep up demand. Would have been boring if the iPhone came with everything on inception.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill69 View Post
    does this mean that right now people could use the sdk to develop great apps that work really really well that we can put on our jailbroken iphones? and on installer because i would imagine you could make an app and it would be compatable with 1.1.3 or 4 that would be really cool. it would allow a lot of people to come out with 1.0 apps insted of .345 apps hahaha
    It'll just encourage people to write more great killer apps like Pirate or iBurpz. Really the only difference between the SDK and the already available gcc toolchain is an emulator, debugger and some docs. Having an SDK available to the public for free will probably result in a flood of "Hello World" type applications

Honestly, 75% of the apps in installer are useless but at they can hopefully spark some ideas for people. This is no different from all the apps out on the Symbian platform.
    Last edited by imode; 03-06-2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sparblaze's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    11:02 AM - oh wow. Sega ported Super MonkeyBall. Accelerometer based. frickin awesome.
    thanks, giz
    MONKEYBALL!!!

Someone can make an oftenly updated TTR on this!!!
    Another thing, this would probably be taken down, but can you imagine an app that jailbreaks it lol.

Oh yeah another thing! Expect to see Starbucks QuickOrder pretty soon after the 2.0 update.
    Last edited by Sparblaze; 03-06-2008 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imode69 View Post
    Honestly, 75% of the apps in installer are useless but at they can hopefully spark some ideas for people. This is no different from all the apps out on the Symbian platform.
    This mans got a point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rosbaughcr View Post
    Every phone with a touch screen (stylus) has copy & paste.

Palm-based and Windows Mobile-based in particular.

Green Apple
    Thanks

What does everyone need copy and paste for anyways?

Thanks

Seriously? Wow. Why do you need copy and paste?

What if you want to copy the text of a e-mail to a note?

What if you want to copy text from a website you visited?

What if you wanted to paste something into a text message? Save it for later?

What if you were typing a long message (3 paragraphs) and decided you wanted paragraph 3 at the top?

What if you wanted to copy part of an e-mail you have and paste it into another e-mail?

What if you took a note down really quickly on the memo and later wanted to add it right to a contact?

What if you wanted to copy an e-mail address to add to a contact?

What if you wanted to text message a phone number found in your address book?

You get the point. Some of those things can be done now...but are either very obtuse and/or require you to transcribe all information over again. Copying and pasting makes all of those things infinitely easier. That's why all those WM5 and Palm touch-screen phones have the feature. That's why every PDA has one. It is one of the things I miss the most...of course, if you never had it, you don't necessarily know what you're missing. It's obviously not a life-or-death feature, but for those who do a lot with text, web and e-mail, it's a feature that opens up a whole new level of value and usefulness.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I need cut, copy and paste for my email... when someone emails me from my site they have to fill out a form... inorder for me to reply to it and include the form they filled out I need to copy their email address... if I tap it they will not see the form in which they filled out... all they will get from me is my email message and I will have to explain who I am and what site they inquired from etc in the message and who wants to do that?

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

man i really wanted the sdk for windows

now i gotta go buy a mac (not like i wasent going to anyways)
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanPK View Post
    I thought it was good but long... when I came
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoNightmareX View Post
    That's what she said.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This thread is about the SDK, not about Copy and Paste. I don't think people on this forum really care what your Palm devices can do. Otherwise they'd be on the Palm forums. So let's please have a constructive discussion.

iPhone? More like MyPhone timbo's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone SDK Trouble
    Every time I try to download the SDK, I get:

I have been trying since 3 pst.

Is there another place to download it?
    Thanks,

Timbo

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

grrrrrr! im on my friends mac and i keep getting the try your request again page!

(we are processing please wait a few moments then refresh the page) im on my 20th refresh how many times do i have to refresh it!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanPK View Post
    I thought it was good but long... when I came
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoNightmareX View Post
    That's what she said.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yup. There is a torrent of it on thepiratebay. I believe this is a legal distribution method for the SDK, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think I can provide a link for you though, sorry.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

you're wrong.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I guess I never really use my phone for email or notes...

But on another note, how come the "AppStore" can be accessed over EDGE by the iTunes store can't? I feel like the apps will be just as large as songs... Although I believe he just said over the cellular network, possibly pointing to the 3G iphone maybe?

edit: Yeah I was right. "and it's wirelessly downloaded [over the air!] to the iPhone via cellular or WiFi." No actual mention of EDGE here.