Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SDK Launch Event - Quasi Liveblogging

iPhone? More like MyPhone spongebobiwan's Avatar
    Thanks

All in all, this looks quite promising and honestly, much better then I had hoped for, IF it progresses as layed out (which it should, since it's now a matter of public record).

My suspicious (yet capitalist) nature has me wondering however, if Mr. Jobs is relying on the greedy nature us humans posess, when it comes to establishing a price for programs. As he stated, the developers will be allowed to determine their own price for a program. That makes me wonder if some developers who would have otherwise published their program for free through the jailbreak community, will set a price on it now that it will be distributed through the AppStore. I'm not suggesting that is unfair and that we are somehow entitled to free programs. Developers certainly have the right to determine a price for their efforts if they so choose. It just has me curious.

And I realize that Steve said they intend to make no profit from this, but only collect 30% to pay the operating costs of this. However, 30% of something is more then 100% of nothing. I'm just guessing we will begin to see programs we've been using without paying for, show up on AppStore for at least some nominal fee come June.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by ninthchamber99 View Post
    Complete noob question........what is SDK, what does it stand for, will the average user (i have enough knowledge to jailbreak my iphone) be able to use this?
    SDK = Software Developer's Kit and YES you will be able to take advantage of this without jailbreaking come June and iPhone version 2.0 software update is released.
    Last edited by spongebobiwan; 03-06-2008 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I guess if the apps will only be availabe on the US version of iTunes that installer will still be popular for people that need anysim and anyone outside the US (Canada, Europe, Asia) Hopefully seeing inside the SDK package will allow developers to create apps for jailbroken phones easier.
    YNWA

Thanks Spongebobiwan!! I was wondering the answer for some time now. One more question, My iphone is jailbroken with 1.1.2, I don't really need the google gps thing that came with 1.1.3. So do you think I should wait til the SDK is released in June or should I stay current with all the firmware updates? I love my 1.1.2 jailbroken phone. I am already an ATT customer so it is perfect for me.

Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm with Spongebob.

Mr. Jobs is trying to destroy our community from the inside.

Re-create a program and brand it with the Apple logo and make people pay for the programs that are already free. Then not allow other programs if they contradict the IPhone that Mr. Jobs "created".

I really hope that the Devs take the SDK to develop better apps and keep using the Installer for distribution. Let Jobs have his AppStore for commercial programs.

If a dev wants to charge for their creations that they make then so be it, even if their initial ideas were going to be free. Even if the creations we use is free then they decide to throw a price on it, so be it. It's simple, if that happens nothing to ponder about and no need to be curious about the "human nature of being greedy". It will be what it will be. You as a consumer decide whether you want to support their cause or not. It's a pointless projection of mind when you put it like that.

On a lighter note, there will always be those willing to create programs for free.. so don't start getting all fussy and start blaming everyone else for being evil greedy bastards, seriously. Why don't you make a mock program of what you use already and make sure it's free. Sounds good.
    Last edited by cheesecakezz; 03-06-2008 at 02:50 PM.

LOL!!! The kiddies thinking a SDK was going to be some magic potion app for their phone - cracks me up!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tobypu View Post
    I'm with Spongebob.

Mr. Jobs is trying to destroy our community from the inside.

Re-create a program and brand it with the Apple logo and make people pay for the programs that are already free. Then not allow other programs if they contradict the IPhone that Mr. Jobs "created".

I really hope that the Devs take the SDK to develop better apps and keep using the Installer for distribution. Let Jobs have his AppStore for commercial programs.
    What the hell are you talking about? You will be able to put programs on the AppStore that are available for free. Developers selling programs have to give apple 30% of the sales of their app.

Apple isn't attacking any community, it is trying to make money and provide valuable features without having to jump through hoops like jailbreaking and avoiding updates until they are jailbroken.
    Last edited by GutBomb; 03-06-2008 at 02:55 PM.

can't wait for the Epocrates!

i just came.
    Last edited by mofolo; 03-06-2008 at 03:05 PM.
    myRepoSpace.com - Easily create your own Cydia Repo.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by mofolo View Post
    i just came.

Oh Zibree please hurry and jailbreak this one too!!

IS there any changes in firmware 2.0? or just silly AppStore?
    good job reading the first post of the thread.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GutBomb For This Useful Post:

apatmore1 (03-06-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    LMAO IRL to what Ryan Block asked at the event. Funniest thing ever.

Quote Originally Posted by GutBomb View Post
    good job reading the first post of the thread.
    Read?

What does read mean?..

lol - yeh i read it just now. Its to early in the morning to get excited over this.
    myRepoSpace.com - Easily create your own Cydia Repo.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think that alot of developers will port their apps so that they can work via itunes and installer, i know i would if i had a decent app. So many people who have iPhones are legit users. Why not allow them to help you develop your programs through funding.

For example, swirly could port theirs to run via SDK itunes installer program when it comes out and allow everyone who doesnt want to jailbreak their phone the ability to send MMS. So what if some people just want the ease and are willing to pay for it, more power to them. Then for everyone who is willing to jailbreak their phone they could just continue to host the program for download via our current installer.

Thats how i would do it.
    16 GB 1.1.4 Ziphone Unlocked, Activated, Jailbroken
    If I helped you make sure to hit the thanks button

[How To] Customize on 1.1.3 and 1.1.4......Windows Guide...............OS X Guide

How To Fix A Broken Ringer/Silent Switch

Man I hope 2.0 will be jailbreakable

Will there be a video on apple later today or no video at all?

As Erica Sadun of TUAW said:

Were kookoo for Cocoa Touch!

oh, and if you want to get it, some guy put it up as a torrent on TPB.

pf edit: can't link to tpb, sorry.

Only 51 minutes and there are like FIVE FRIGGING HUNDRED LEECHERS. (what it says on the page is wrong)

It is 2.1 GB, because it includes xcode. Too bad you cant only download the iphone part, but hey, i get to update my xCode!

You will need a Leopard Intel Mac. Micro**** users are in the dark for now.

I've only got 3-5 hours left! ^_^ I'm averaging 270 kb/s. Of course, i've messed with my firewall and have extra bandwith.

Now for my speculation. Because this is a Cocoa platform, built with xCode, windows users will most likely not get an SDK. I can see this being ported to linux though.
    Last edited by omniking3; 03-06-2008 at 03:25 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to omniking3 For This Useful Post:

alectra82 (03-06-2008)

Also, a lot of people seem to be confused with the $99 developer membership. You only need this to distribute applications. It's not $99 per app, so with one or two apps even for just $1 devs should be able to recover really fast and then release for free if they want.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman173 View Post
    Will there be a video on apple later today or no video at all?
    http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...rnal=pd4lje2fa

Quote Originally Posted by omniking3 View Post
    As Erica Sadun of TUAW said:

Were kookoo for Cocoa Touch!

oh, and if you want to get it, some guys put it up as a torrent

Only 51 minutes and there are like FIVE FRIGGING HUNDRED LEECHERS. (what it says on the page is wrong)
    This is illegal btw
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 03-06-2008 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

LuciferChaos (03-06-2008)

How hard would it be to make an app to change your Homescreen ( not lock screen ) background?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

so there wont be another update for iphone at all until june?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast