+ Reply
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rock Your Phone [ LAUNCH ] - iPhone Application Stores Abound

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The AppStore has been around a good while now. Cydia now has a retail aspect , which is being built out even more as you read this. And adding to
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Default Rock Your Phone [ LAUNCH ] - iPhone Application Stores Abound

The AppStore has been around a good while now. Cydia now has a retail aspect, which is being built out even more as you read this. And adding to the mix, Rock Your Phone, which we've been beta testing a while, is now live.

Rock Your Phone actually includes their own jailbreak (or soft unlock, as they've decided to coin it) software as part of the process - you'll notice the procedure is fairly similar to Pwnage Tool, but a little different, and branded Rock Your Phone. Some Dev Team help was actually put into building the application. Mario Ciabarra, creator of Rock Your Phone, says "Without the Dev Team's help, and the entire independent iPhone community - this wouldn't be possible - so we are very grateful for their help and dedication. We are intending to give back to the community as well."

One of the big pushes Rock Your Phone is advertising is every application purchased through RockYourPhone (which allows payment through PayPal, and all major credit cards) comes with a 10 day trial - you don't buy it unless you like it. Any app in their store can be installed free, and used for 10 days.

A unified experience is another big push they're excited about. Applications can be purchased through the online store at RockYourPhone.com, through the mobile application, or through the desktop client (which works on OS X AND Windows, folks - although Mac users will need a hub, heh - sound familiar?).

The app DOES require you to go through their "soft unlock," even if you're jalbroken already, but it won't mess with any of your Cydia apps, nor your AppStore apps. It sits side by side with Cydia and the AppStore, and in fact you can even see your Rock Your Phone apps wiithin Cydia in your installed packages (although the reverse isn't true).

EDIT 03/14/09: The latest version of Rock Your Phone no longer requires their soft unlock if you've already jailbroken - it will simply install the Rock Your Phone app. Again, that means if you've already jailbroken, this will just install the app - no other "soft unlock" or anything is necessary.

The application offerings are currently pretty slim pickings - there's 5. Those include Vonagent ($9.99) and IntelliScreen ($9.99), two applications which you're most likely familiar with. Elert (free) and IntelliDial ($2.99) are two other applications in the store, which are productivity enhancing apps. Elert allows you to see a popup notification of incoming emails, and IntelliDial allows you to browse contacts on your lockscreen in a CoverFlow format, and dial from there.

The fifth app is pretty nifty, actually - custom profiles with MyProfiles ($12.99). Here's the feature list:
    • Custom alerting of email based on Subject, Sender, Sent Only to You, and Mail Accounts.
    • Custom alerting of SMS messages and missed calls based on caller phone #.
    • Modify the Vibrate Pattern so you can be quietly alerted to a specific email.
    • Repeating Alerts for Email, SMS, and Missed Calls.
    • Silence Calls via WhiteList or BlackList
    • Escalating Rings and Vibrate 1st then Ring
    • Adjust WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, Push Email, Auto Lock, and 3G based on Location, Time of Day, and more.
    • Automatic rules engine to enable profiles
    • Manual Override Profile by holding down the home button and pressing up and down on the Volume buttons.

Overall, this is a solid system. The trial feature is nice, and the complete experience is pretty easy. It's not a Cydia replacement, as it isn't looking to distribute free software - which is where Cydia shines. It's more a commercial alternative to Cydia. (Cydia has thousands and thousands of packages, many of which are themes, and is constantly growing - with a subscriber base of over 1.5 million). Where Rock Your Phone shines is their solid retail aspect (which really is their niche - a full service independent iPhone Application Store), and the user experience. The setup is definitely attractive to devs and end users alike though, so it will be interesting to see how this app grows. I'd like to see how Cydia Store and Rock Your Phone compete, with such a large base already using Cydia. I'm pulling for them both - competition breeds innovation.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

.:MirrorminD:. (03-12-2009), NArush (03-12-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone jwilcox09's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds interesting. I like the Elert app. Sounds cool.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwilcox09 For This Useful Post:

BenzoHartt (03-13-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

sounds alright

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Well, 12,99$ for a beta is a bit harsh. Nevertheless I think it's great someone programmed what Apple should have done in the first place.

But even when its stable.... 12,99 for profiles? Whooooo. Pain.

I think these new "underground" stores are a good thing, let's hope they will normalize the prices one day.. I think 4,99 for a profile app would be fair enough for everybody. I mean, I can get a full blown great SMS app for 5 bucks (biteSMS), for example.

[EDIT] How do you get this on your (already jailbroken) phone?? Looks to me like this will only work for virgin iPhones
    Last edited by llew; 03-12-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds pretty cool, Elert looks good, SMS like alert on lockscreen would be good. Elert is by Inetlliborn and I really didn't like Intelliscreen that much.

Get Rocking
    Go to that link for instructions.
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 03-12-2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Green Apple
    Thanks

ehhhhh...idk i dont really see it going anywhere. i mean with the Cydia Store launch and the appstore already here...idk i just dont seem to want three installing applications..two is already too many

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Custom profiles... neato

Thanks

hmm.... interesting

im in!!!

Thanks

I'm anxious to test and see how well MyProfiles integrates with iBlacklist and irealSMS.

iPhone? More like MyPhone NArush's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm in too. I like elert.

Well it didn't work and I'm also having issues with Cydia updating/installing. Hope it's a separate issue.
    Last edited by NArush; 03-13-2009 at 05:31 AM.

Thanks

If you have a custom boot logo installation of Rock Your Phone reverts it back to the factory Apple logo... not a big deal I suppose.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If I apply the application install on my iPhone, will it do a restore? Or will it just install the Rock my phone app?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Wait.. Can you do this on an already jailbroken iphone? I'm confused by the lack of mention on the website.

iPhone? More like MyPhone r1994augusto's Avatar
    Thanks

interesting!

Thanks

Installed it but it wouldn't download my profiles.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Two questions...

- Can this simply be installed as an app (without the whole jailbreaking process, described here: Rock Your Phone Installation) ?

- How do you pay?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

tried it not working right, tried to install the software on iphone, goes into restore mode, sits there and sits there for like 30 min and says installing on phone, but nothing
    Cancelled, then reconnected phone and it moved back to normal
    Not sure what is wrong, anyone????
    ------------------------------

iPhone 4
    4.1 Firmware

Thanks

They Have "Rocked" Me

iPhone? More like MyPhone rel1215's Avatar
    Thanks

any talk about having this as an option to install with quickpwn and pwnagetool with future firmware upgrades? they're gonna be seriously shooting themselves in the foot if they're always going to require a second "soft unlock"

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rel1215 View Post
    any talk about having this as an option to install with quickpwn and pwnagetool with future firmware upgrades? they're gonna be seriously shooting themselves in the foot if they're always going to require a second "soft unlock"

You mean it's cydia _OR_ Rock installer? That would be BS and cydia, hands down.

Why don't these guys offer an easy installation method for their store? Maybe a .deb file or a windows/mac installer for the store only for already jailbroken phones?

+ Reply
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast