+ Reply
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone OS 3.0 - MMS, Copy/Paste, Turn-by-Turn, and much more Summer '09

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Jailbreaking adds alot more functionality to our phones but nothing is better than when Apple does it officailly. I use MySMS as my default SMS app and its ok. Its
    Thanks

Default I have to agree
    Jailbreaking adds alot more functionality to our phones but nothing is better than when Apple does it officailly. I use MySMS as my default SMS app and its ok. Its still missing somethings and take a little longer that the offical SMS app to load up. I love all of our underground developers but truth is that when Apple make some thing offical for the iphone it just works better period. Also when your phone is jailbroken its seem to be alittle sluggish. Things don't scroll as good, the overall stability of the software just isn't the same. Unfortunatly there will never be a day when we wont need to jailbreak because Apple will never give us everything that we want. I only have a few things I want to see in 3.0, phone wide copy and paste. Phone wide landscape mode for landscape SMS, Email, Notes, and any other possible place that you can type in. MMS, this is a no brainer. If a RAZAR phone on Metro PCS can MMS then why can't we? Everything else I think can be brought to the phone via the appstore if apple loosens the strings abit. Well I'll just cross my fingers and hope that apple brings the features I want in this new software update, just like everyone else.

iPhone? More like MyPhone wannagotopopeyes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
    Assuming they find a way to make the phone hack/jailbreak proof, I donít mind losing jail break IFÖÖ..

1) They support copy/paste
    2) They allow me to record videos (qik.com at the very least)
    3) They allow voice turn by turn driving directions
    4) I donít care too much about MMS, but they should support it!
    5) Oh yeah, they better have something similar to SBsettings. I donít want to have to dig through 4 menus just to shut on/off bluetooth

Is that too much to ask for?

Hopefully itís a lot faster and has less lag issues, and or app memory leak crashes
    Yea man, I totally agree. I think if they REALLY wanted to, they could stop a LOT of jailbreaking by just releasing a software update that actually DOES include the stuff we want it to include...

Definitely wouldn't stop the unlockers of course, but since they're so concerned about stopping the jailbreaking then why not just listen to what the users want?!

Cause we all know they certainly have the ability but Apple just likes to mess around with us iPhone users and give us the features one-by-one in seperate updates, then release new iPhones every year so we keep purchasing... oh Apple, you sly fox you...
    i LOVE apple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy
    ...if it doesn't have push notifications I will be a very, very angry individual.
    If they don't, will you change your name to Angry Noodle Boy?

Anyways, I'm guessing 3.0 will have a lot of improvements. The App Store was enough to release 2.0 since it allowed THOUSANDS of apps to be installed on the iPhone, but copy/paste or MMS doesn't seem like a major improvement. If I don't see Flash, true MMS, and complete Bluetooth, I probably won't upgrade to 3.0 until jailbreaking is available.

But I doubt jailbreaking will come any time soon. We saw how much longer it took for us to jailbreak our phones on 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    MMS,C&P, and finally fully functional bluetooth ARE all on the iPhone now, you just need to jailbreak it to get them
    Not MMS for everyone. I got someone here to set MMS up on AT&T's end and Swirly still never worked. So now I'm using two different apps for MMS. MMS Buddy loads my MMS right in the app so I can listen to audio, watch video, and view pics on my phone. Problem is that I can't forward any of them. And MMS lets me send pictures to people, but not audio or video. And everyone I send the pics to have to reply with "Y" the first time to receive the pics which is a bit annoying and the message comes from a different number, not my own. So I want true MMS that has Apple and AT&T's support.
    Last edited by Channan; 03-12-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Thanks

o yea cant wait.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wannagotopopeyes View Post
    why not just listen to what the users want?!
    Because it makes them money? if more and more people buy the iPhone expecting the stuff to be added later, and Apple add it bit by bit then more people will buy it. Personally, Now that iBluetooth is out, and SwirlyMMS works fine. I'm happy with the iPhone as is, just stop it crashing.
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by THEdAY View Post
    I think one of the major features of 3.0 will be support for multi-core processing (nexgen iPhone)

It is strange though that Apple is giving such an early preview of 3.0 when earlier promises of push notification have yet been implemented, not that the early preview is a bad thing :}
    They need to implement some viable multi-tasking first, then maybe think about multiple core CPUs.

Sounds like they're just creating early hype so they get more sales when it comes out.

Thanks
    Now that I think about it, if this update has c&p what are the chances that the interface and function are as good as something like clippy? Clippy's been out there for a while and has had numerous updates. If apple puts c&p in 3.0, I suspect we'll have a lot more updates, small ones that is...

This pretty much goes for any other functionality apple might add

Green Apple
    Thanks

Copy and paste, MMS, and LANDSCAPE EVERYTHING!

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder why no hacker has made the ability to use landscape email and text. Landscape homescreen sorta works sometimes but it's still buggy.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    Landscape homescreen sorta works sometimes but it's still buggy.
    You answered your own question. All of these apps that are trying to do what Apple won't do for us are always buggy as hell.

Thanks

I'll only get excited if Apple actually listens to their customers by releasing features we need and just not what Apple feels they want to allow. Such as background push notifications for apps, multiple attachments for Mail, tethering, A2DP, copy/paste, video recording, voice command, voice dial, Bluetooth file transfer, improved camera features, MMS, landscape email/SMS, etc.
    Last edited by imagine engine; 03-12-2009 at 07:14 PM.

SOHO: MacBook Pro, iMac, Maya, Shake, FCS 2, iLife, iWork, Office, Time Capsule, iPhone 3G 16GB

Thanks
    for everybody hoping for themes
    not gonna happen
    iPod Touch 2G jailbroken (untethered)
    Macbook Pro 3GB ram 2.5 GHz Colorwared Black with Red Apple Logo
    iMac 2GB ram 2.6 GHz
    HP Touch Smart 2GB ram

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphonekid View Post
    for everybody hoping anything other than push
    not gonna happen
    Fixed to be more accurate.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone alpawa's Avatar
    Thanks

In stead of hoping 3.0 brings this or that, let us hope the deal between Apple and AT&T comes to an end soon! Free the iPhone!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I can't see apple ever allowing custom themes. However, honestly all I really care about is cut and paste, and phone wide landscape typing. Turn by turn gps would be nice but I didn't by my phone for that, I'll get a real tom tom or garmin device for that.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

How about...and really the only thing I care about....BETTER BATTERY LIFE!!! iPhone battery life still sucks sooooo much. I am coming from a Blackberry and going from 2-3 day battery life to barely a day is horrible. I am not going to shut off all the features that make the 3G the 3G just to extend my battery for a couple lousy hours.

This is a no-brainer that needs to be fixed.

Thanks

wow! its been such a journey with me and my iphone 1st gen, now 3g going through 1.x and now 2.x, I am sooo excited to see what new features will be available despite the possible limitations jailbreak and moding wise, knowing apple's hateful stance on moding and jailbreaking , but hey screw them we can do what we want because they are our iphones, and our itouchs! So lets hope the dev team can fight there way through 3.x just like one and 2, and we will ALL BE HAPPY!!!!!

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpawa View Post
    In stead of hoping 3.0 brings this or that, let us hope the deal between Apple and AT&T comes to an end soon! Free the iPhone!
    The contract with AT&T is exclusivity for 5 years since the 2G was released. So we still have 3 years and 3 months left if we put the start sometime in June.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a VERY bad feeling that some how it will be Anti-Break if that is possiable. I hope its not .... MMS would be nice, Video Recording, Tethering, and Copy and Paste.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Besides the stuff already mentioned that the new OS should have, I think it should also include a better SMS application like irealsms or bitesms. By that I mean include landscape keyboard and quick reply. Seriously that's all I want in the SMS portion. I mean common $10 for landscape where the freaken phone should've had in the first place? Get really Apple!
    Last edited by Deviatorz; 03-12-2009 at 11:51 PM.