+ Reply
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone OS 3.0 - MMS, Copy/Paste, Turn-by-Turn, and much more Summer '09

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by KStryker The iPhone comes with unlimited data...so why would that be an issue? I've been with AT&T for several years now, and having both unlimited data, and
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KStryker View Post
    The iPhone comes with unlimited data...so why would that be an issue? I've been with AT&T for several years now, and having both unlimited data, and unlimited text, when sending MMS...there should be no worries.
    I also have unlimited text on ATT but I pay EXTRA for it. I'm sure this is what they will do for MMS.

The other day I found myself lamenting the cost of technology given that there are 5 of us in teh family, all into technology one way or another. I used to moan and complain when my 3 teens each had to purchase their own copy of a PC game in order to play together online. I felt there should be some sort of "family plan". But there isnt, and it became a choice, They got very selective about games, usually one would buy it first and if it seemed great, one or two of the others would purchase it.

I think we all got used to considering technological advancements rights, and in some ways they should be. You cant get through school without a computer, if you have a few kids, you need more than one if they want to get work done before midnight. I cant imagine living without a cellphone given that there are very few pay phones around anymore (at least in my part of the US) However, having SMS is also what I would consider a 21st century necessity,but MMS is a "nice to have" as is internet (unless you dont have a computer).

I digress a bit to make a point. As the apps get more involved, the time involved increases proabaly exponentially. Either the developers are doing this as a "hobby" or as their full time means of support. In either case, as the time element goes up, a hobbiest dev, does have a day job and a life (well unless he or she is a 40 year old virgin living in their mother's basement) and if it a dev trying to earn a living, well he deserves to earn a living.

I have a ton of free apps on my iPhone and my computer, but some are great and others are well, you get what you pay for. I also have a huge investment in purchased software as well. If its an absolutely essential app I must have do something specific, Il pay, if its something i need once or rarely use, Ill try and find a free trial or freeware and make do.

What people need to realize is that in the early days of jailbreaking and Installer/Cydia, these apps were really BETA's, we reaped the benefit of using the apps to further the development of the software, and proof of concept. Now that there is a legitimate market of these devs to reap some rewards for their hard work, some of you begrudge them. Seriously these apps for the most part are CHEAP as compared to purchased software for a PC or Mac. Its still a bargain in my book.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

KStryker (03-23-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    all i can say is finally! the phone will still be crippled even with the update. i don't even know why they would release a new iphone model this summer when the 3g has not even been tapped out performance wise!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Has anyone got the MMS working on ATT and 3.0?

Here are my efforts. Called and spoke to about 5 people at ATT. Eventually transferred to a tech support person who changed the MMS flag on my account to MMS=yes. Still no luck. I then took the SIM out off my Motorola that can send MMS, put it in my iphone and still no luck. Has anyone else tried another SIM from another phone ? So I am not sure if the settings in the carrier.plist are good or there will be a carrier update as we had a few weeks ago that added the microcell stuff to address this.

Any thoughts ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Shake to undo! Shake to redo!

Thanks

Why does your sig say you need help unlocking when there are so many tutorials around?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quick question. Does the part which says developers will be given access to the USB port mean that they will be able to make a simple program that will finally be able to give us a usb mass storage device on our iPhones instead of always having to wifi access?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buddyisonfire View Post
    It sounds to me that you have no idea what you're talking about and you're only making assumptions. Multimedia messages are sent through data but if ATT feels like being a ***** they can charge for whatever they want. I'm not saying that we will have to pay for MMS, but there's no guarantee that we won't.
    Ummm...Since the iPhone comes with unlimited data, and MMS is based on data, how is it feasible to get charged extra? Instead of assuming I was making assumptions, try asking! I've been with Cingular/AT&T as an IT manager for awhile now, and pretty sure I know what I'm talking about!!!

Now if you are in another country...I'm not sure about that. I'm talking about the US., but it still wouldn't make sense regardless.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KStryker View Post
    Ummm...Since the iPhone comes with unlimited data, and MMS is based on data, how is it feasible to get charged extra? Instead of assuming I was making assumptions, try asking! I've been with Cingular/AT&T as an IT manager for awhile now, and pretty sure I know what I'm talking about!!!

Now if you are in another country...I'm not sure about that. I'm talking about the US., but it still wouldn't make sense regardless.
    Probably the same way every European carrier charges for MMS separately from data....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

so is the stereo bluetooth enabled on the iPhone 3.0 beta? i have yet to see this mentioned anywhere.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by burdell1 View Post
    so is the stereo bluetooth enabled on the iPhone 3.0 beta? i have yet to see this mentioned anywhere.....
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-...oth-3-0-a.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

ok the title has turn by turn in it but i have yet to see any turn by turn on 3.0. Am i missing something here?

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ichwohneinloche View Post
    ok the title has turn by turn in it but i have yet to see any turn by turn on 3.0. Am i missing something here?
    It won't be native, but the SDK/OS now allows for 3rd-party developers to provide it. So companies like TomTom have already announced they will bring turn by turn to the iPhone.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

What's Jailbreak? thisiskyleadams's Avatar
    Thanks

I decided to test MMS on my phone the other day (ATT 5 ipcc installed) and it actually worked. Was able to send and receive MMS with no problem or delay.

I think that Sept 25 is the day EVERYBODY will have it. I think in my market though, its working fine as of now.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Yea the 25th for sure

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

what settings are you using for your MMS?

Thanks

Does this mean 3.1 will be delayed until the 25th? Not released tomorrow?

What's Jailbreak? thisiskyleadams's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by burdell1 View Post
    what settings are you using for your MMS?
    the same ones floating around everywhere.

these are the instructions i typed for my girlfriend which worked as well.

1. save ATT 5 ipcc (don't try to open it or anything)
    2. open itunes with iphone plugged in
    3. hold alt/option and click "check for update"
    4. browse to where you saved the attachment and click "choose"
    5. unplug iphone
    6. restart iphone

after you do these things do the following:

7. go to settings > general > network > cellular data network
    8. scroll down to MMS and enter the following exactly as typed

APN - wap.cingular
    Username - [email protected]
    Password - CINGULAR1
    MMSC - http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy - 66.209.11.32
    MMS Max Message SIze - LEAVE BLANK
    MM UA Prof URL - LEAVE BLANK

9. once these settings are entered in, press the home button then restart your phone again

when you restart, go into messages and you should see a camera icon next to where you type in a message (above the keyboard)

voila!

the MMS's take a minute or so to send if they are successful, but like I said, I had these same settings on my phone for months and it never worked then out of nowhere today I tried it and its worked every time.

+ Reply
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112