Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Prototype Discovered on eBay

Thanks

Thumbs up iPhone Prototype Discovered on eBay

Wondering how the iPhone looked in early stages, just before it made it to the market? Now, you can have a piece of it! There’s an auction on eBay for iPhone Prototype (!!).

Not only you’ll get a single prototype, but two of them! Though the second piece doesn’t seem to work but it just needs the right hardware expert.

The seller seems to have done his homework as well to prove these phones no fake! Each of the phones has an early version of the OS installed, version 03.06.01G, which is way older than the 03.11.02G version, found in the first iPhones released. Based on the serial number, the phones were manufactured in Week 49 and Week 50 in 2006 (iPhone was announced in January 2007…)

Finally, the Prototype that works has a pretty neat functionality. It can make and receive calls with an AT&T sim, receive messages (you can only send 5 template messages included), surf mobile versions of sites and even the Camera functions. It cannot be synced with the iTunes being a prototype (seems that they added the syncing functionality later).

Otherwise, these pieces look exactly the same as the iPhone released except for the fact that they do not have iPhone or capacity engraved on the back. Another difference is that the second non-working prototype houses a plastic screen instead of the glass in the other. The back of this phone also has some text.

This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be offered for sale, or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained. Serial No. YM65002JD22 IMEI No.:004401520034774
    The current bid is $2295 and the auction lasts till 11th March 8:00 PM PDT but I won't mind spending that money (if I had) on these rare possessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    I will pay thousands for this! It will easily become something museums will be interested in one day. Please don’t bid against me.
    A noticeable fact is that the OS pics are quite similar to the diagnostic mode ones revealed in iPod Touch by iLounge. These phones seem to have belonged to a MacRumors member in early January in this year.

[eBay, iLounge and [ame="http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=627449"]MacRumors[/ame]]

cash edit:
    No longer on ebay
    Quote Originally Posted by eaby
    This listing (170308425742) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.
    If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled. Note: Listings that have ended more than 90 days ago will no longer appear on eBay.
    Last edited by sayam; 03-10-2009 at 03:05 PM.

Default waste of money
    who would buy this?

Thanks

I would for sure, if I had the money. I don't have a job right now...

iPhone? More like MyPhone j3wbagell's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm so glad the iPhone interface doesn't look like that.

My parents didn't pay for my iPhone.
    *If i help you hit that "Thanks" button for me*

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,277 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by timm5692 View Post
    who would buy this?

Many might find it priceless ... Wouldnt be surprising to see apple intervene and pull it off eBay

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    Many might find it priceless ... Wouldnt be surprising to see apple intervene and pull it off eBay
    How would they do that? It was purchased and sold legally with out any parameters given, apparently.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to j3wbagell For This Useful Post:

poqwlamz (05-11-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by j3wbagell View Post
    How would they do that? It was purchased and sold legally with out any parameters given, apparently.
    Maybe by putting up their own bid on ebay...

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Ah was it? I haven't looked @ the auction yet

Thanks

he said he obtained it through a large reseller

Q: What is the laser-engraved text on the back of the two units? Which text is on the working phone? Thanks in advance! Mar-09-09
    A: I am having trouble revising my auction, so instead I am going to use your question to answer many questions I have gotten and publish it on the main page. To answer a common question I have gotten: I obtained these phone from a bulk electronics reseller out of Texas. They purchased a lot of iPhones and these two were mixed in. I don't know their origins beyond that. Also, yes the serial numbers are etched in the back, as well as showing up on the screen of the working phone. Here is the best picture I could get of the backs of the phones. http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4569/iphoneback.jpg The text on the back of the working phone: "Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China Model No. A1203 FCC ID:BCGA1203 Serial No.:YM64903KD22 IMEI:004401520024015 The text on the back of the broken phone: "This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be offered for sale, or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained. Serial No. YM65002JD22 IMEI No.:004401520034774"

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Looks like I win

Quote Originally Posted by ebay
    This listing (170308425742) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.
    If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled. Note: Listings that have ended more than 90 days ago will no longer appear on eBay.

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow I guess Apple's arm goes farther then we expected. Pulling items off ebay? Maybe they will start pulling unlocked iPhones off too...

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

"This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be offered for sale, or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained. Serial No. YM65002JD22 IMEI No.:004401520034774"

unless the seller pulled the auction himself and it wasn't ebay that cancelled it . . .

can anyone else not see the video, it says its not available in my country. I am usa wth

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joejoe123 View Post
    can anyone else not see the video, it says its not available in my country. I am usa wth
    Apple has killed the video

Thanks

The last thing they could do is ask us to remove the pics or they will be angry...

Anyone have the video saved? I didn't get a chance to see it in time...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajl917 View Post
    Anyone have the video saved? I didn't get a chance to see it in time...
    I guess no one has. Ask cash, maybe he knew it was gonna happen and saved a copy...

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Haha, thats pretty cool...and funny.

I would love to have em, but I wouldnt spend that. Unless I had it as pocket change

Damn, My cousin in Nigeria was bidding on this one
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked

Thanks

Just the video is back, not the auction. Maybe, if you wanna buy, contact Brooklyn8 at Macrumors as he's the eBay guy selling it. He might sell them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast