+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple & AT&T Only Allowing One iPhone Replacement Every 18 Months

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I've never signed up for an iPhone contract and I never will, I hate contracts. I'm going to buy the new iPhone if it's any good on payasyou go. I'm
    Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I've never signed up for an iPhone contract and I never will, I hate contracts. I'm going to buy the new iPhone if it's any good on payasyou go. I'm on O2 so they sell payasyougo iPhones here.

I've had my iPhone since January 08 and think of buying the 3G but when I get to the shop I go "meh" have a play on it and then decide not to buy it lol. I too am waiting for the new iPhone in July/August or whenever it's released, I was 18 in Jan so I can get a contract on my on name now, no need to beg mum lol.
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 03-09-2009 at 03:17 PM.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    I've never signed up for an iPhone contract and I never will, I hate contracts. I'm going to buy the new iPhone if it's any good on payasyou go. I'm on O2 so they sell payasyougo iPhones here.
    Please read my post.

Pay As You Go iPhones must be bought using a credit/debit card and are limited in the same way that contract iPhones are. 1 per customer.

You'll have no problem getting yourself 1 the same as you would a contract, but want 2 within the set time periods? Good luck.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XenoSaber View Post
    Um.....Dude, I don't think that you want to be spreading that around. From the sounds of it, you're "family member" was doing what they made this idiotic rule to stop. No one in any family is going to need 15 iPhones. When I bought my 3G 16GB a year ago, there were 3 chinese guys ahead of me in line trying to buy 15 iPhones. You know what they were doing with them, of course. So the Apple Store manager took them asside and let the rest through, telling them that they needed more info or something. By the time that they were ready to sell to them they only had 3 left for the day.
    Actually she bought it from Apple themselves. They allow/used to allow you to get 5 iPhones per person. Trust me she has no intentions of opening an iPhone factory or selling it matter of fact ... she gave away all of them as presents... she also got 15 sim cards with those iphones, all which went to garbage.
    What I am trying to say is if you need 15 iPhone, you can get them no matter what, even from Apple or AT&T itself. You just need to bring in 15 people with ids

iPhone? More like MyPhone techgirl's Avatar
    Thanks

New phone? In June? Humh?

Techgirl at your service... Modding MyPhone since Day 1!

AIM: lindseycholmes
    Facebook: lindseycholmes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    Please read my post.

Pay As You Go iPhones must be bought using a credit/debit card and are limited in the same way that contract iPhones are. 1 per customer.

You'll have no problem getting yourself 1 the same as you would a contract, but want 2 within the set time periods? Good luck.
    I just bought mine off eBay - cheaper and easier.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I replace my first iphone after jailbroke and months latter upgrade to 2.0and my iphone crash, the next iphone it overheat, the next iphone stay with the itunes logo on. I only jailbroke the first one then i stop doing it. 2 off the iphone that i replace from the apple store there where jailbroke before. I talk to the store manager after the message pop in there computer about send information to apple (bootladble error) Apple store responde that this iphone has been refurbush to the original setting of the phone with a new battery. Now I purchase the extra warranty for 3 years more and the only thing my contract said if I broke my Iphone with any fisical damage the warranty will be wave and I have to paid full price. This is for att customer i dont now how it work with T-mobile or other company jailbroke. This company is so **** that I getting txt message from att that my new Iphone 3g does not have a data plan and the one i have is from the early iphone when i call att they say that there never change the imei # so they can change it for a year. My new 3g iphone is not jailbroke and i the old phone i only use it as a ipod. If i get a big bill i will cancel my contract and go back to verizon.

Thanks

looks like apple and At&T forgot how to do business...isn't everyone's case just to sell the goods for the money? i mean as long as they are getting the money from people willing to pay the full retail price for the iPhone what do at&t or apple care? a customer can do whaterver they want with their iPhone? this is ridiculous in every way...Don't get me wrong i understand the reason behind this, but in this case they are loosing the money that they seemed to want from us at first; it doesn't make sense to me. wow, and i was about to go for AT&T....i guess not anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Well here's the deal....... ATT locked me to an IPHONE contract. They have to sell me an IPHONE to continue the contract if I lose it. They have to replace the IPHONE at my expense if I lose it, or they have to DROP MY CONTRACT. They can't NOT sell me a replacement phone AND hold me to contract. At that point they are breaching contract by not allowing me to purchase a replacement phone under the IPHONE contract and plan I signed. They can't give me a cheap replacement, I signed up for an IPHONE plan for an iPHONE.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

9. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

BenzoHartt (03-10-2009)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    This is getting ridiculous

I remember when you could buy a product take ownership of said product do what you liked with it, if it was faulty get it replaced, if you broke, lost it or had it stolen you could just go and purchase a new one no one cared

he could just buy an iPhone from eBay, you never know he could end up buying his own back
    I remember when you had to lease your house phone from the telephone company and that it was illegal to install 3rd party equipment on your phone line (which was hard to do anyway since 3rd party equipment wasn't available in the US back then)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Ebay and Craigslist. Why purchase at MSRP when they're going for much less online? I understand about a warranty... but it's a risk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is the suspicion of jailbreaking based purely on the amount of time between phone purchases or is there something deeper going on here?

My iPhone is a Part of Me cellmate75's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow I used to think apple was god, but now they are just being dicks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cellmate75 View Post
    Wow I used to think apple was god, but now they are just being dicks
    Most gods are
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chachlate View Post
    Is the suspicion of jailbreaking based purely on the amount of time between phone purchases or is there something deeper going on here?
    It is cheaper for eastern european buyers to buy iPhones that are yellowsn0w unlocked than it is to buy an Apple IMEI OTB unlocked iPhone.

That is the problem.

Jailbreaking and yellowsn0w go hand in hand, so this will just fuel the Apple vs. Jailbreaking War (Which doesn't really exist).

Apple only care when their bank balance starts getting affected i.e, less app sales (cracked apps) and lower unlocked OEM iPhones (yellowsn0w).

The iPhone was never unlocked officially before and there never used to be an app store - and Apple never once made any rediculous rules or statements.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andyjoneski View Post
    Could the contract not be canceled and you go to another store and sign up for a new one? or EBAY it up !
    He stated that he didn't want to cancel the contract because he wanted to keep the number. It sounds like ATT was willing to cancel his contract for free and start a new one as well, for free even. If that is the case I don't feel he has much of a right to complain. Keeping your phone number the same isn't exactly a right protected by the constitution. Hell, if they wanted to they could even change your number on the fly without any notification, I would think. The reason they don't is because, well, that would be bad business.

That being said, having had ONE phone that he returned for another one (obviously the jailbreak wasn't an issue here, he returned it, not sold it) and then losing one (yes, I guess he could have jailbroken and sold that one, at least from the eyes of ATT), I don't see why that would count as too many lines. I had heard of people breaking 3-4 phones (they even posted on MMI about it). They did get sorta hustled at the store for having bought so many lines but it wasn't a big deal. I say at least give people 1-2 replacements before you put a ban on their account... This, also, is bad service.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

I can attest to this. On the 5th of February my committed suicide via toilet bowl. I immediately went to an AT&T store to buy a new one and they told me spot on that I was not allowed to on that line. I then drove 72 miles to the Apple store and they told me no, but they dod appreciate my honesty and tried to help me with some warranty stuff...no joy. I ended up buying one on another line I have.

I questioned a few people in both organizations that I know (both happen to be managers) and they told me it was to fight "illegal" sales. I pointed out that had they taken mine and sold me a new one even at full price, which i was willing to pay, then I wouldn't be forced to fix the phone and sell it on Ebay. In my situation their answer was absurd to the point that it actually caused me to circumvent their rules and make a slight profit on the whole situation. I say my situation because I was fortunate to have to only replace a dock connector. Good as new!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Keeping your phone number the same isn't exactly a right protected by the constitution. Hell, if they wanted to they could even change your number on the fly without any notification, I would think.
    If this is the case, i am so glad I live in a civilised country!
    I have had the same number since my first mobile nearly 10 years ago and have every right to keep it.

You don't seem to have any rights in America - it all seems to be how much you can pay. Unfortunately we seem to be taking your lead...

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Someone will die if I cant upgrade to the new iphone (assuming its coming out) this summer like a sucker

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default odd......
    I went yesterday with my friend to AT&T, he has the original iPhone, he still had close to 9 months left on his 2 year contract. They simple upgraded him to the new iPhone and had him resign a new 2 year contact. Its really weird that AT&T wouldn't let you even simply purchase the phone out right.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    here in australia there is no limit , poeple i know have gone through 4 iphones!!