+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Piracy Detected. Your Cracked App is Now a Demo.

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The war between iPhone developers and app crackers continues . . . Ben Chatelain the developer behind the App Store app Full Screen Web Browser has taken steps to prevent
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,270 Times in 652 Posts

Default Piracy Detected. Your Cracked App is Now a Demo.
    The war between iPhone developers and app crackers continues . . .

Ben Chatelain the developer behind the App Store app Full Screen Web Browser has taken steps to prevent piracy of his app. Just days after the initial app release on the App Store Ben received notification via a Google Alert that his app had been pirated and the cracked copy was being distributed by Appulo.

Frustrated by the events Ben went on a mission to stop cracking of Full Screen Web Browser (App Store link). He checked out informative posts about making an iPhone app crash if cracked but was hesitant to enable the measures because he didn't want the application to crash for legitimate users or crash during the App Store review process and subsequently face rejection from the App Store.

After some thought Ben came up with the solution that he is utilizing now. The application looks to see if it has been cracked and sends pings to a server with a device identifier (UDID) so that illegal usage can be tracked. If the app has been cracked the server controls a demo period with ten runs after which the the application shows a message allowing you the option to quite or buy complete with a guilt trip "Purchasing a legal copy helps support independent software development and will help me feed my 1-year old baby."

With App Store application cracking running rampant and many developers up in arms over the issue we will be sure to see more and more measures like this taken in the future.

edit: In case I didn't make it painfully obvious this allows you to try (the cracked app) before you buy. Apple needs to get on it and implement a demo system in its App Store already.

Thanks

This is a huge step for the Devs.

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    The was between iPhone developers and app crackers continues . . .
    Don't you mean 'the war' lol
    Last edited by greenleaf187; 03-09-2009 at 12:17 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to greenleaf187 For This Useful Post:

Cody Overcash (03-09-2009)

Banned
    Thanks

Like we wont find a way around that too

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Z View Post
    lol... i like your enthusiasm

With that kind of energy i think you will

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

they seem to find ways around everything lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wonder what version this is built into?

Thanks

It's too bad that the developer has to develop his own DRM. Unfortunately Apple's default DRM was cracked in a couple of days. Yes, themonkeysball, we mean you.
    I am Olim. We are Olim. And we just did this- together!

Green Apple
    Thanks

i think this is a great thing. I hate the idea of apple locking the i{hone to AT&T or O2 but not paying $1.99 for an app is ridiculous!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to richardjones101 For This Useful Post:

Napoleon_PhoneApart (03-11-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ltjbigshot's Avatar
    Thanks

Im really glad that the devs have stepped in to do something since apple wont.
    Sent from my iPad

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Version 1.1, it says in the blog by the dev.

And as well as I know the cracking community, there will be a workaround. There always is. Like Steve Jobs said- a Cat and Mouse game.
    iPhone 4- I'll start theming again

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Lol apple made it pretty big this time well not really apple but whatever. This person can make a lot of money for selling this anti piracy software. The people will probably find a way around it and pass it. Hopefully soon lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Yay to him
    I say good for this guy. He makes a valid point, if you want developers to continue to improve their product offerings, you need to pay them for it. This method also gives you the chance to "try before you buy".

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NHSKayak For This Useful Post:

BenzoHartt (03-10-2009), Napoleon_PhoneApart (03-11-2009)

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

WOW!! This is going to stop people "stealing" apps, not. It won't be long before there's a way to delete the notification.
    I didn't know why Modmyi censors Edit Poseidon: We edit out that site/word b/c we do not condone the use of cracked apps on this forum and therefore do not link to sources. Please try and understand our position as we have many Dev partners. Thanks.

Using cracked apps has saved me a lot of money. Trying them before you buy and a lot of the apps were crap.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 03-09-2009 at 03:28 PM.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone BEEKS's Avatar
    Thanks

This is how I feel about the whole situation. They're always gonna be people that use the cracked apps as a way to just get free apps; but for me Apple's system should allow a trial period of applications before puckase. That's the only reason I paid $16 for BeeJIve, is beause I was able to have 'access' to it before.
    Secondly, I can't tell the Devs what to do with their revenue from the sales of their apps, but you using this to feed your babies????? C'mmon dude.
    However I do acknowledge that where cracking apps could have some impact on sales, it hurts us the users more because it doesn't really encourge Developers to put any "cool" apps out if people are just gonna pirate them.

Thanks

Some of those apps are ridiculously expensive... i mean $900 for Ira Pro? and why pay 16 for beejive where you can get fringe for free. When i first purchased crash, Star Wars, and other apps for 10 bucks, i was kinda disappointed. I was all excited and finished the game in one day, speaking of premature action.
    Ohh yeah remember that 'I Am Rich'?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    These apps are hardly expensive, so once used a few times for trial people should buy them. Its not as if you are a student and cant afford Office in the 1990's.

greenleaf187, even if you have pirated those most costly apps I bet you dont use them. And yeah $15 is a lot for an app..lol. Just use a free alternative if you dont want to pay for the commerical app.

Thanks

Also, dont forget that the devs of Blue Skies also adopted a counter measure for cracked apps.

Quote Originally Posted by steaky View Post
    These apps are hardly expensive, so once used a few times for trial people should buy them. Its not as if you are a student and cant afford Office in the 1990's.
    I am a student. I am also willing to pay for an app if I need it. I am not complaining about the price tags, I am just saying that sometimes curiosity kills. I will use a cracked version of lets say 'Ira Pro' just to see how it works, or is the 899.99 worth it. I Am Rich was sold three times because a bunch of idiots were just curious.
    Last edited by greenleaf187; 03-09-2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

hmmmm havent even gone the route of running cracked apps didnt want to get into that messy a situation

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steaky View Post

greenleaf187, even if you have pirated those most costly apps I bet you dont use them. And yeah $15 is a lot for an app..lol. Just use a free alternative if you dont want to pay for the commerical app.
    lol funny thing is i do have a legitimate copy of beejive... honestly, the only reason i bought it was becuase the cracked version didnt work hehe, and because I liked it and i was thinking to myself that its worth it. ok maybe not 16$ but it was good business.
    Last edited by greenleaf187; 03-09-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Z View Post
    not "we"

we are against cracking

maybe "you", unless when you say we you mean you and hack labs

this is an awesome step i think if anyone is going to put a paid app out it should include this

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast