+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Piracy Detected. Your Cracked App is Now a Demo.

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I think someone touched on this just a bit but doesn't it bother anyone that an app is sending data unbeknownst to the user? Don't get me wrong, I support
    Thanks

I think someone touched on this just a bit but doesn't it bother anyone that an app is sending data unbeknownst to the user? Don't get me wrong, I support the developer trying to get paid for his work but something about sending data behind the scenes bothers me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You people screaming how great it is for the Developer to step up and inplement his own DRM because Apple isn't doing anything on their end - have it ALL Wrong!

It's not Apple's responsibility to lock down 3rd party titles_ It's shady enough that they are doing this with music to begin with_ First off whatever method the Dev used to code something may be different from the way the next Dev coded something and DRm from Apple might work on Dev 1's title but might break something in Dev 2's title_

This is like saying that an Auto-Maker isn't responible for putting seatbelts in their car to make it safe - that they should be able to ship it out to the Dealer without seatbelts_ Then the Dealer [or Software Distributor aka Apple] should add the seatbelts in after they receive the cars_

The music in the iTMS is really the same deal - except Apple caved to enough pressure from the Music Industry to add it in originally - and we all know how that went_ The Music Industry either didn't know how - which is their own fault - or they were too lazy to do it themselves to coersed Apple into it as a term of them signing on_

But this time - there is no multi-billion dollar independent software developer industry and united coalition [ie - the IRAA] to throw it's weight at Apple telling them to protect their wares_

Software hacking and piracy has been going on since the advent of "shareware" began - much less mainstream titles_ Just like it's the responsibility of the Ford Auto Factory to ensure that there are seatbelts added to the car before it leaves for the dealership - so is the responsibility for the software developer to ensure to the best of his knowledge a secure mechanism to protect his title_ And act like the larger software companies that alter the method from one release to another_ Put out an update - break the crack_

Also - I'm sure he's getting enough legit business from the iTMS and mainstream customers that he's not hurting that much as a result_ Otherwise - as with many other titles in the past it wouldn't be cost effective enough for him to continue to develop his title and he'd pull it and make an announcement or not_

So - NO - I don't think this is awesome of the developer to give him accolades for taking matters into his own hands_ This should be the "norm" - not the exception_ I do give him credit for being one of the first publicly to get up off his perverbial "lazy arse" and do what was his responsibility in the first place_ taking responsibility for your own actions is always a good thing_

I wish him much success and he's found a method to challenge the hacking community_ Which is mostly what they thrive on anyway_ Maybe this will stay in the news a little longer and we can follow up on it more_ Some of the back and forth_

Thanks

like soulthought posted, i doubt apple will let this tipe of anti-pirate defense into the appstore. Remember all the fuss about Aurora Feint, when i stored the content of your contacts into a online database?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

guarantee you it will never be stopped. when technology advances there comes more improvements and loopholes. we'll eventually have no reason to fight. let's all listen to Neyo - Mad illegally too. okay thanks bye.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    I think someone touched on this just a bit but doesn't it bother anyone that an app is sending data unbeknownst to the user? Don't get me wrong, I support the developer trying to get paid for his work but something about sending data behind the scenes bothers me.
    I agree
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234