+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Piracy Detected. Your Cracked App is Now a Demo.

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by nimavafi The dev of MySMS took it a step farther by actually corrupting the file systems of many iphones with pirated versions of his software. This happened
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nimavafi View Post
    The dev of MySMS took it a step farther by actually corrupting the file systems of many iphones with pirated versions of his software. This happened with no pop-up warnings, and caused hundreds to have to restore (to say they deserved it is a slippery slope). But I think this method of a pop-up saying "Hey Thief, you should pay for this..." is the right thing to do. Other devs(outside the appstore in the wild wild west of Jailbreak) might not be so nice....
    I'm a small shareware developer myself /not for iPhone/ and, of course, Im against pirating...But that dev of MySMS, if he really did what you said, crossed the line and should be put on trial and bashed forever from developer and every other community.. There was a similar attempt few years back on Mac platform by one dev and his small shareware...Basicly he put the malicious code within the app which have been used to delete Home folder if entered serial was pirated...He was bashed all over net and also few people took a lawsuit on him /people who put the wrong SN by mistake and lost their Home folder and valuable data/... NOBODY has the right to f**k up with other people hardware and data.. Thats not the fight against pirate's, thats the crime much bigger than pirating... IMHO...

As for cracking apps in general..I really dont see the point of cracking the 1$ app, even though Im coming from, lets say, not that rich country... On the other hand, I really dont see the point to price the software few thousand $ .. I mean its not the cure for cancer or eternal energy source for God sake .. Yes, with lot of apps people makes money..True..But so what? Is that a reason to sell that for 2.000$ with paid upgrades, patches and whole lot other bulls**t? I don't think so..Those overpriced goodies /apps, houses, branded "high fashion" clothes etc./ brought us where we are now - in deep s**t called recession ..
    ---------
    Yes, you're a PC. But you come with Vista, which is like a chick with herpes.

Thanks

hey A.T, where do I go to get a refund for netshare?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    There are hundreds of different ideas which have been tried and some work better than others - there is no 'one size fits all'.

If there was everyone would use it!
    I was just making the point that less finger pointing and more creative thinking will do us all alot better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    You do know that if you don't like the app, you can get a refund!
    I think you're mistaken...

iPhone? More like MyPhone wgm214's Avatar
    Thanks

honestly irealsms beats mysms in every way, and that dev shouldn't be trusted. I hope nobody in the future buys mysms. thats really just not acceptable either way.
    Wanna-be coder/iphone user since '08

Thanks

Default two wrongs don't make a right...
    Quote Originally Posted by SERBIAN View Post
    I'm a small shareware developer myself /not for iPhone/ and, of course, Im against pirating...But that dev of MySMS, if he really did what you said, crossed the line and should be put on trial and bashed forever from developer and every other community.. There was a similar attempt few years back on Mac platform by one dev and his small shareware...Basicly he put the malicious code within the app which have been used to delete Home folder if entered serial was pirated...He was bashed all over net and also few people took a lawsuit on him /people who put the wrong SN by mistake and lost their Home folder and valuable data/... NOBODY has the right to f**k up with other people hardware and data.. Thats not the fight against pirate's, thats the crime much bigger than pirating... IMHO...

As for cracking apps in general..I really dont see the point of cracking the 1$ app, even though Im coming from, lets say, not that rich country... On the other hand, I really dont see the point to price the software few thousand $ .. I mean its not the cure for cancer or eternal energy source for God sake .. Yes, with lot of apps people makes money..True..But so what? Is that a reason to sell that for 2.000$ with paid upgrades, patches and whole lot other bulls**t? I don't think so..Those overpriced goodies /apps, houses, branded "high fashion" clothes etc./ brought us where we are now - in deep s**t called recession ..
    Unfortunately for mysms, he could go to jail and be more guilty then a cracker for vandalizing so many phones.

Look at all the companies that have tried that before in the past...

Sony was the last one that tried something silly like that, and they got into alot of trouble. Cracking and defeating crackers is a cat and mouse game, it always has been, and it always will be.

It's like running a DoS Attack on TPB or Appu or whatever site you don't like because they are hosting things that you think they shouldn't.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Green Apple
    Thanks

********** will get updated.
    it's just matter of endurance who will keep updating their work around

Thanks

Good Move!!! in my opinion.

I can't say that i blame the guy, its his app and he wants to be compensated, theres nothing wrong about that. [How much is it anyway? Is it any good? Has someone done a review?]

People who are downloading cracked apps at the .99 and 1.99 level are at bubble gum stealing level. Its like what's the point, everyone has a dollar. :-(

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

now the pirates are been pirated

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dondo44 View Post
    now the pirates are been pirated
    AAAAAARGGGGGGG!!!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone OneRing2Rule's Avatar
    Thanks

That's just perfect! +1 for the devs! :-)
    If I've helped you or even just made you laugh, hit Thanks. Every time you do, an iPhone gets jailbroken. FREE THE iPHONES!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If he's worried about feeding his 1 year old child, maybe he should find a stable job somewhere.

Nothing like exploiting your child. And no, I don't support stealing his stuff. I just don't like people like that

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    If you are rich why not pay for it? I don't understand.
    He meant he needed the app I am Rich. It was the pointless one being sold for $1000 until apple pulled it off the app store. You can still probably get it on Cydia.

Honestly, stealing apps is lame. If you are pissed at the dev, think about what you would do if someone was stealing something from you. Would you just let them do it or would you stop them and try to get some money out of it? Good for this Dev, sticking it to all you a** holes stealing his work.
    Last edited by MnVikingsFan26; 03-10-2009 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Avid View Post
    If he's worried about feeding his 1 year old child, maybe he should find a stable job somewhere.

Nothing like exploiting your child. And no, I don't support stealing his stuff. I just don't like people like that
    Agreed. I support devs in all of their ideas and creations, but using your child as a way to get donations in not needed. If a person wants to buy an app, they will regardless of your family situation...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajl917 View Post
    Agreed. I support devs in all of their ideas and creations, but using your child as a way to get donations in not needed. If a person wants to buy an app, they will regardless of your family situation...
    Disagree. While using his son as an example is a bit extreme, he's trying to say that if there was no pirating of his app aka he could get all the income possible from his work, it would be a stable job.

There's plenty of stories of freelance devs that have quit their day jobs to develop exclusively for the iPhone. It's proven to be a money maker if you have time and creativity. Pirating is a big thorn on that and hurt people such as the dev in question from trying to make a living from it.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I have never run a cracked app, but I cannot push them to the wayside. I would rather run a trial version before buying an app (and yes, I buy many many apps), but a lot of the ones I am interested in are expensive and there are no trial periods.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

I cracked like 20 apps most of them no less than 5.99 each and i feel glad I didn't waste my money unlike my family members who now regret buying apps like simcity, jaadu, and crap like that, it's not worth it. And by the way I deleted like 18 cracked apps after installation because of how useless and boring they were.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluprint View Post
    I cracked like 20 apps most of them no less than 5.99 each and i feel glad I didn't waste my money unlike my family members who now regret buying apps like simcity, jaadu, and crap like that, it's not worth it. And by the way I deleted like 18 cracked apps after installation because of how useless and boring they were.
    So presumably you have now paid for the remaining 2 apps?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mista Brothason's Avatar
    Thanks

Isn't this fake?
    64 GB iPhone 4S on 5.1.1 Jailbroken & Unlocked
    64 GB iPad 3 on 5.1.1 Jailbroken

What's Jailbreak? Naughty_Ottsel's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think it's a great step, if you go onto any developer forums, crackers are the biggest problem, I am not saying I am clean of pirating, in fact I get a bit of music from time to time but I will spend the money more often than not. I am also a developer, at the age of 15, and whilst my app; iGuess, is not the best thing that's ever hit the app store and there is a 9 year old Chinese girl that's done better than myself, I am still so proud that I have got so far and can use the extra funds to help save for a new Macbook to help with my studies in Sixth Form (UK student) as well as resources to improve iGuess and create new, better apps.

I can understand the idea of try before you buy concept but to be honest not many people actually practice what they preach, those are the people that annoy me the most.