+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Piracy Detected. Your Cracked App is Now a Demo.

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Sounds a good idea to me. I am a great believer in 'try before you buy' and have used cracked apps since we found a way to bypass the dongle
    Thanks

Sounds a good idea to me.
    I am a great believer in 'try before you buy' and have used cracked apps since we found a way to bypass the dongle on Lotus 123 for the PC but if I continue to use an app I buy it.
    I learnt long ago that getting programs for free just because you can is not worth it. There will always be people that think it's clever to do so but they nearly always grow up.
    Some people crack apps just because they can - others use cracked apps because they think it's clever. Everyone has there own reason and I'm sure they will take no notice of anything I say anyway.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

ONE YEAR ago people...... http://www.modmyi.com/forums/3rd-par...ch-iphone.html

I told ya a year ago you better know what your phone is doing at all times. Not for this purpose specifically, you never know what is loaded in these apps..... you just accept everything is great.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

well I said b4 I feel cheated from netshare and apple. Basically I brought it on my phone then apple removed it and I lost out with no help from either company. I use crack sw to try and have since brought beatmaker 12 and allowance this week. I do buy apps but only if I can try first. I want to buy mobile cam viewer for work but can only try standard cracked version not enterprise and since I can't try, I won't buy. And the thing is my work will pay 4 it!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What people are forgetting is there are alot of people who really just want to try before they buy, and i know its been said before about having so many apps i paid good money for that just stay dormant in my itunes app library, and reading a fantastic description of the app and a few screenshots just isnt enough to know if you would like it or not.

I've tried out many apps and paid for them legitimately through the app store for 1. with all the ****** apps out there, if i find something i like and will use i will want to pay them the money they deserve. 2. having the automatic updates just makes having the app so much nicer 3. its just the right thing to do.

Apps ive tried out first and bought after include beejive, fieldrunners, holdem, photogene picoli, camera bag, panorama, colorsplash, ocarina, translator, quad camera, dynolicious, and zen bound just to name a few... not everyone steals...we just want a better way to see your product before handing the money over

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

You do know that if you don't like the app, you can get a refund!

But I tend to go the cracked app way to try them first plus it's a good way to know of the apps still being developed or the devs given up on it.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by se23 View Post
    well I said b4 I feel cheated from netshare and apple. Basically I brought it on my phone then apple removed it and I lost out with no help from either company. I use crack sw to try and have since brought beatmaker 12 and allowance this week. I do buy apps but only if I can try first. I want to buy mobile cam viewer for work but can only try standard cracked version not enterprise and since I can't try, I won't buy. And the thing is my work will pay 4 it!
    I started using cracked apps on PCs before a lot of people on this forum were born for that precise reason. I used to have to justify every purchase and the only way I could do that was get a cracked copy of a program, see what it did and then show the FD how I could save the company money. It took quite some time before he told me I had carte blanche to go out and buy any software I wanted as I saved the company money everytime I bought something!
    These days there is a lot more ' try before you buy' and developers try and give 'added value' to those that pay.
    Not always the case but I am a firm believer that if someone has given you something you want you should give something back - and in most cases that means paying!
    [Edit] I took so long typing this there have been 2 posts which I hadn't read[/edit]
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Since there's always going to be a "way around" I think that developers need to spend less time trying to stop cracking and more time coming up with a better business model. For example, many online services are only free because they are supported by ad revenue. I am sure there can be a way for devs to make money off of apps that does not include users paying.

I myself have 2-3 ideas of how this can be done, unfortunately i am a law student with a finance background and no programing experience so my ideas will just stay ideas haha.

Thanks

good for this developer! this "cat and mouse" may seem like it's a counterproductive war between the haves and have nots, but on the other hand, us living creatures usually come up with our best work when it's out of necessity. i mean come on, how many cool ideas and technologies have we seen developed as a result of this one particular "[money for me] VS. [information for everyone]" battle? we usually only really see how our own side benefits from this (which ever side that may be), but i like to see an example of how our little game is providing opportunities for all involved.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greenstretracer View Post
    I myself have 2-3 ideas of how this can be done,
    There are hundreds of different ideas which have been tried and some work better than others - there is no 'one size fits all'.

If there was everyone would use it!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kpace1 View Post
    What people are forgetting is there are alot of people who really just want to try before they buy, and i know its been said before about having so many apps i paid good money for that just stay dormant in my itunes app library, and reading a fantastic description of the app and a few screenshots just isnt enough to know if you would like it or not.

I've tried out many apps and paid for them legitimately through the app store for 1. with all the ****** apps out there, if i find something i like and will use i will want to pay them the money they deserve. 2. having the automatic updates just makes having the app so much nicer 3. its just the right thing to do.

Apps ive tried out first and bought after include beejive, fieldrunners, holdem, photogene picoli, camera bag, panorama, colorsplash, ocarina, translator, quad camera, dynolicious, and zen bound just to name a few... not everyone steals...we just want a better way to see your product before handing the money over
    The developers are well aware. Notice Ben (the developer) made his app a try before you buy after it is cracked instead of just crashing

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

It is a vaialnt effort from a dev, but I think the average person who cracks and gets "busted" in this manner will just tell the dev a big F U and give less of a crap about his 1 year old baby. Doubt it will bring any increased revenue. I mean who says "Damn, he won't let me still his stuff. I guess I will buy it from him instead."

As others have said, if this becomes mainstream it will have a work-around. Put less time in to keeping people from stealing and more time into making people actually want to buy... that is a method the industry doesn't yet truly see value in.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    will just tell the dev a big F U and give less of a crap about his 1 year old baby.
    And I thought I was cynical!

People that don't care for anyone but themselves will always exist and more pity them.

Thanks

Pay the developers some respect, guys. I understand that paying $10 for apps when they are first announced by the big names (SEGA, EA, etc.) only to see the price go down in a few days is annoying. I personally regret buying Crash Bandicoot and Super Monkey Ball for $10 each. But if an app is $1, remember that a developer spent lots of time developing it. Besides, $1 doesn't buy anything these days anyway.

(Just remember to contribute the app back to the hacking community! )
    I am Olim. We are Olim. And we just did this- together!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wearmaize View Post
    I understand that paying $10 for apps when they are first announced by the big names (SEGA, EA, etc.) only to see the price go down in a few days is annoying.
    $10 is hardly a lot - and you pay to be the first. If you don't want to pay a premium then wait.

Isn't that a horrible thought? If you think like me then you shouldn't complain about the premium. If you don't want to pay the premium just wait for awhile after the app comes out.

We all have a choice - and do you blame them for playing the market?

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

The trouble is, most of these alternate web browsers are absolute ****. Good that he still gives you a trial period to make sure his browser is actually usable.

iPhone? More like MyPhone wgm214's Avatar
    Thanks

I've used one cracked .app on my phone. I'm really sorry guys but I *needed* I am rich. Besides I don't mind hurting that devs sales
    Wanna-be coder/iphone user since '08

Thanks

If you are rich why not pay for it? I don't understand.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The guys over at BiteSMS had the same thing with a message popping up on cracked versions stating its pirated and it would just shut down the app. Few days later, crackers got around it. But eventually most people don't want to play the 'cat and mouse' game and buy the app so they don't have to wait for a newer version to be cracked or deal with the "phone home" aspect.

The dev of MySMS took it a step farther by actually corrupting the file systems of many iphones with pirated versions of his software. This happened with no pop-up warnings, and caused hundreds to have to restore (to say they deserved it is a slippery slope). But I think this method of a pop-up saying "Hey Thief, you should pay for this..." is the right thing to do. Other devs(outside the appstore in the wild wild west of Jailbreak) might not be so nice....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    The developers are well aware. Notice Ben (the developer) made his app a try before you buy after it is cracked instead of just crashing
    And what ben did was okay, all alot of people want is a way to see if its worth your money before you buy it...although his words could be modified a bit
    Last edited by kpace1; 03-09-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I can't believe this is even an issue. The people who are supporting cracked apps are just proving to apple that jailbreaking is something that is actually hurting the company, and needs to be stopped.