+ Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: First Look: Purchasing from the Cydia Store

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It will be interesting to see what the Cydia Store developes into. However, I think they should have chosen PayPal as a Payment source and simplfied the account creation process.
    Thanks

It will be interesting to see what the Cydia Store developes into. However, I think they should have chosen PayPal as a Payment source and simplfied the account creation process. For example, create an account in Cydia with your username, full name, address, e-mail and then link it to PayPal. Your Cydia address must match your PayPal's address.

PayPal requires verified addresses which are linked to a checking or savings account. This is very secure and established who the person is by linking the person to a bank account for verification. You can still pay by a credit card.

In all my years of purchasing things on eBay, I have never had my credit information stolen. The other benifit of PayPal is that your credit card information or bank information is not sent to the seller.

Cydia should remember your account and the link to PayPal but not the password. So, all you have to do each time you purchase software in Cydia is to enter your password.

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brothason View Post
    I don't like how Cyntact costs money, I think it should be free because I can understand charging for apps that never made the app store but like a mod or a theme you shouldn't have to pay for

This isn't really an app, it's more of a mod
    You think it should be free?

You think that these developers should work for hours and hours on a project, to give arseholes like you something for free?

So what if its just a small mod, it still would have taken a lot of work to make and perfect. Besides as he said, its a trial run to work out any bugs in the buying process, and he's going to make future things like this free to please scumbags like you.

Now I'm no developer, so I have nothing to gain from this, but things like SBsettings, cycorder, Winterboard, have all made the iphone TEN TIMES BETTER than a non-jailbroken phone. Sure, some developers make apps for fun in their free time and release them for free. But for someone like Saurik who does so much and spends so much of his life to makes our phones as good as they are today, and wankers complain when he TRIES TO MAKE A FEW DOLLARS.

Grr. Sorry if thats an over-reaction, but I really hate you people who think just because its on Cydia and not an official Apple endorsed app, it should be free.

Just remember how **** your iphone is without these mods. And if you dont like paying, spend a few years learning how to code, and then spend a few weeks of your life coding it yourself.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to carlbgc For This Useful Post:

maxwinick (03-07-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

i tried twice... both failed on amazon due to some "vendor doesn't allow that transaction" message, and i can't do again due to the issue reported in post #1:
    If you've had a failed payment (such as, a credit card decline) you will need to be patient since Saurik has not coded in support for that yet.

any solutions?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't like how Cyntact costs money, I think it should be free because I can understand charging for apps that never made the app store but like a mod or a theme you shouldn't have to pay for

YOU ARE AN IDIOT! do you not read things before you post? It blindly states that this will not be charged for in the future! It's just a temporary price to get the Cydia Store rolling.

reading comprehension > you

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post

On to the buying. This process took me ages here the first time around. First I had to sign in with my google account, go through some steps to link the account, etc. Next was signing in with my amazon.com account and going through all the various steps (including remembering my password ) to buy the app. Finally I had purchased the app and was able to install it.

All said in done the entire process took me about 10 mins including one password lookup in the keychain on my computer.
    You gotta be kidding me......... two or three sign ins, various sites, ten minutes........ No wonder you said "finally". Now I need to go get a google account, an Amazon account, and a paypal account to make one purchase?

It sounds about as fun as jailbreaking 1.0.2 via command line. Yesterdays minor write up about this was very neutral and fair from me, THIS process is just painful to imagine.

I just grabbed 3 free apps and one $1 app from the Apple store on a click and it was in my phone and I had been playing with it for SEVEN minutes if I started ten minutes ago. Not the same apps of course, but a much better user experience. That is the one thing Apple has always been about ....... "the Apple experience". Jailbreaking has never been "easy", but we tolerated it because we didn't have to fork over cash for it. The point to that statement is that it's either got to be free and a hassle, or paid and easy..... it can't be both bad's and be tolerable.
    Last edited by one1; 03-07-2009 at 06:32 PM.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

well all i ask is that people only charge for apps and things of use not for themes and widgets and adding pics to things like note, plus all that would be such a drag if we actually had to pay for a theme it just ruins the whole point of having a jailbrokin phone, really having to pay a dollar for a backround or a wallpaper, changing the buttons or batteries or all that other stuff man that would suck if it gets to that. i just might have to support apple in its fight cuz then things in the jailbreaking community would just get way to outta hand thats my 2 cents

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    You gotta be kidding me......... two or three sign ins, various sites, ten minutes........ No wonder you said "finally".
    That is for your first purchase.

Obviously it wont take that long each time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlbgc View Post
    That is for your first purchase.

Obviously it wont take that long each time.
    You still go to three sites and sign in, three transfers, and ok..... 6 minutes later....? Point is that people will jump over an electric fence to get something free, but if they are paying for it - hassle is not an option........ Especially when someone else does it much better. "you can't get this app at the apple store" No, but I can get another one easily and quickly.

Look, if it speeds up and resembles an Apple experience one click motion (2 at the most) then sure I'm down to try it again.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,264 Posts

People spend just as much time and effort putting together things like themes....why shouldnt they be compensated for them as well?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    People spend just as much time and effort putting together things like themes....why shouldnt they be compensated for them as well?
    I agree a theme can be hard to make as well, but the problem is that there's millions of them free on millions of sites so the market is just too saturated with free themes to make money on them and the images can't be IMEI locked anyway.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    we all realize people put there time and effort into themes and other things but people were also doing it long b4 anyone even thought about charging for them when it was cool to jailbreak your iphone now its just almost a waste of time and huh MONEY this iphone prolly gonna be outdated i bet b4 the end of this year so why bother wasting your time and money on apps to an outdated phone. in my opinion charging for the lil things that were free are just gonna ruin everything that once was

iPhone? More like MyPhone OneRing2Rule's Avatar
    Thanks

That rocked. Not long at all to actually pay for it. I'm really looking forward to some other GOOD stuff coming out on the Cydia Store. I buy on the App Store, but I really think the best stuff out there is still to be made.

xGPS really polished up? Hells yeah, I'd pay for it!

Thanks, Saurik and MMi

OneRing2Rule
    If I've helped you or even just made you laugh, hit Thanks. Every time you do, an iPhone gets jailbroken. FREE THE iPHONES!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to OneRing2Rule For This Useful Post:

BenzoHartt (03-09-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaiburnam View Post
    we all realize people put there time and effort into themes and other things but people were also doing it long b4 anyone even thought about charging for them when it was cool to jailbreak your iphone now its just almost a waste of time and huh MONEY this iphone prolly gonna be outdated i bet b4 the end of this year so why bother wasting your time and money on apps to an outdated phone. in my opinion charging for the lil things that were free are just gonna ruin everything that once was
    Dont worry too much because this is all speculation. Right now, there is a grand total of 1 paid app in the Cydia Store. What Im hoping for is that the apps that already cost money use this, but no one switches. I will probably be wrong, but apps like Cycorder and MxTube, I would have no problem paying...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

I'm gonna buy Cyntact asap. It looks like it completely worth it. Hay, it's just a buck. What's there to lose? I hope that the other apps that will be Cydia Store apps will be worth it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    You still go to three sites and sign in, three transfers, and ok..... 6 minutes later....? Point is that people will jump over an electric fence to get something free, but if they are paying for it - hassle is not an option........ Especially when someone else does it much better. "you can't get this app at the apple store" No, but I can get another one easily and quickly.

Look, if it speeds up and resembles an Apple experience one click motion (2 at the most) then sure I'm down to try it again.
    *sigh*

EXACTLY! You wont have to sign into 3 sites everytime! That is what you do the first time! Sheesh man just wait and see before complaining.

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Very cool... I like the budget limit option he put on there.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

What are you doing posting on the Internet?

Shouldn't cool kids like you be out 'pimping hoes?'

Banned
    Thanks

I'm at work making that paper

iPhone? More like MyPhone OneRing2Rule's Avatar
    Thanks

Great. A wanna counterfeiting thief who evidently has a urinary tract infection (the only reason I know of to drink cranberry juice). Probably from fscking some nasty infected underage ho. LOL

Banned
    Thanks

Watch "The Departed" and you'll understand why I said that

It's a great movie btw

I was just addressing the people who got offended by my post about how I wanted everything for free, they got so angry it was like they were PMS'ing