Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dev Contracts Expiring, Apple does not have a clue! What to do?

Thanks

Exclamation Dev Contracts Expiring, Apple does not have a clue! What to do?

The AppStore has just reached 25,000 app mark but it seems that some of them might be disappearing. Though the AppStore was launched on 1st June last year, many developers signed up in March itself. According to people familiar with contact, Apple claims to give a renew option within ninety days before expiry date but it is yet to be provided, given expiry date is only a few days/ weeks away!

Contract renewal is not the only problem. Some developers even report that their contract application- deposited months ago- is yet to be approved. This is not the case for paid apps only. In fact, those developing free app, which require less of documentation are yet to get their contracts approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Our corporate contract, submitted around December of last year, has yet to be approved after more than two months. And this is merely for a free app!
    It seems that Apple wasn't really ready to face this amount of success with the AppStore. To top it off, when Erica Sadun called the ADC support, she was asked to wait for a renewal option as Apple is putting a new system in action which was not planned at the time of AppStore release. The representative even revealed that they were being flooded by such questions as a number of developers are facing this major problem! The only satisfying fact that the representative told was that the previously approved apps won't be removed from the AppStore, even after the associated contract expires. Here's one of them expressing his feelings on the issue:

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    It makes it really tough to continue development,
    Though it is expected that Apple will soon do something on this issue, but it is really a big turn-off for those developers who have worked really hard to achieve the top spot in AppStore and not to forget, earned millions of dollars.

If you're one of the developers facing the preoblem, let us know how you feel.

[AppleInsider and ArsTechnica]

wow i'm first :P
    it's really depressing to hear that apple is acting like that towards one of it's most successful developments and just throwing away a very nice thing as the appstore by making the developers feel bad for working with them like this lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ommak For This Useful Post:

devteamtools (03-08-2009)

Thanks

your first post on this forum is actually the first one! What a day for ya

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sayam For This Useful Post:

ommak (03-07-2009)

Apple should have came up with the new system immediately after the Appstore's great success. They should learn to plan ahead.

Theme Creator
    Thanks

I am not a developer, but I do have a thought on this.

I seriously doubt that Apple does not have a plan. They are likely working on a new contract structure of some sort, and are probably working out some kinks right now. Anyone want to bet it may have something to do with the opening of the new Cydia store?

Apple has done a good job of been a step ahead of the competition, especially over the last few years. But Cydia may have thrown a wrench into Apples world domination plans . They are probably looking at a way to lock developers into some sort of"Apple approved" only development. What I mean is, Apple may say that if you want to sell on our site, then you cannot sell on theirs.

This could have a serious impact on the new Cydia store, just as it is getting on it's feet. As I understand it, many of the dev's who bring us some great apps on Cydia are also selling apps on Apples app store. Apple may be trying to give these dev's an ultimatum soon. "Your either with us, or against us" And let's face it, there are far more non jailbroken iphones/ipods out there than those that are. Meaning that the potential market for those apps is far greater! For most of these developers, this is their bread and butter...it's where they make their living. How many of these developers do you think would give up those apps on Apples site, in order to have others available on Cydia?

We have already seen what happens when given a choice of working on free apps for Cydia, or paid apps on Apple can do...Stacks is now dead. And while it had nothing to do with an ultimatum from Apple (pirating his paid apps actually) The developer decided that in order to make enough money to stay in the development business, he had to stop working on Stacks, so he could dedicate more time to working on apps that paid. I believe this is the type of future we could be facing. One where developers may ultimately slow or stop working on apps for the "hack" community because of restrictions that Apple tries to put on them in order to do business with them.

But this is just my thoughts on the matter. I have zero proof of this, so don't bother asking where I heard it from. I see Apple as a dictator when it comes to their products, and the fact that they "officially called jailbreaking illegal" not too long ago is just another piece of the puzzle in my opinion. But again, I could be completely off base here...time will tell, and soon

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 1hihum For This Useful Post:

mbaharvard (03-08-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by sayam View Post
    your first post on this forum is actually the first one! What a day for ya
    ya seems that i'm so lucky

but i really can't beleive that apple hasn't planned for a big issue like this one .. they must have something planned as always ... or it will be a big failure for apple and a big disappointment for devs, if not already.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well apple are screwing not only the developers, who paid money for the development rights (i believe, can't remember the details so correct me if im wrong ), but also the public.

Now ill admit, i don't pay for any apps out of the appstore as to me they don't seem worth the money, but the free apps keep me happy, and im sure im not the only one, now i've noticed that the appstore is drying up at the moment, seems to be no decent releases, and the ones that are being release are aload of cack.

Now to me, it's about the customer satisfaction, where is that satisfaction??? **EDIT CPJR - Offensive**

Apple just haven't been prepared for how big the iphone was going to be, and it's gona come back and bite them.

But enough of the darkness, i reckon we should get all the developers whose apps havent been released to release them through cydia.
    Last edited by cpjr; 03-08-2009 at 11:13 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone blazingangel1986's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tariman21 View Post
    Apple should have came up with the new system immediately after the Appstore's great success. They should learn to plan ahead.
    true enough they seem to be busy with other things these days, too many court battles to deal with what matters i guess.
    www.ccbahamas.co.nr

Apple rarely makes a mistake of this magnitute and when they do they come back twice as strong. I'm sure the problem will be resolved in a timely manner.

And as for...

They are probably looking at a way to lock developers into some sort of"Apple approved" only development
    Has anyone ever heard of an alias and having multiple IP addresses, like developers are stupid enough to be tied into some Apple exclusive. Please!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMatt81 View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of an alias and having multiple IP addresses, like developers are stupid enough to be tied into some Apple exclusive. Please!!!

i am willing to bet that is exactly what they are doing.

with android store and now blackberry store in development, it is bound to cause alot of devs jumpin from platform to platform.
    apple wants to keep their greedy little hands on all of it

basically,
    if u want iphone apps, u will have to get an iphone!

perfect for apple

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Another way for them to act like Microsoft, they are getting even worse then them.

They must love playing Monopoly.
    -Cobra

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1hihum View Post
    Anyone want to bet it may have something to do with the opening of the new Cydia store?
    That is possible. Apple is probably getting jealous!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

One easy resolution, stop buying apps. If the well dries up, they would change their tune quickly. If the customer wants to get their power back, stop buying! Then let's see what the Big Bad Apple does.....