Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Store Going Live Tonight

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

Default Cydia Store Going Live Tonight

Lets face it. Apple does not allow many very cool apps for sale in the App Store because of their very tight (and in many cases unreasonable) restrictions. The developers of these apps (PDANet, MySMS and iBlacklist to name a few of the many) still want to earn a little revenue for their hard work and until now have been forced to come up with their own sales solutions on Cydia/Installer.

Tonight the game will start changing as Jay Freeman (Saurik) releases the Cydia Store. Just moments ago Freeman announced on Twitter that "Tonight (late) a new Cydia will come out with one package 'for sale' (more over the next week): more details will be in Cydia." Developers of popular paid Jailbreak programs will be able to sell their applications straight from the overwhelmingly popular Cydia without having to worry about the hassles of independently creating sales solutions.

Whats more is the Cydia Store will have many features to rival the App Store. According to Freeman in addition to application sales "There will also be a method of voting via the classic stars, but are linked by a review, which must first write a comment / review, and then you can vote. This feedback system will require a login which should be based on Google or Facebook."

Freeman isn't the only one with a third party store to compete with Apple's App Store. RockYourPhone.com is another independent application store that is currently in development. The Wall Street Journal also mentions a third store thats name has yet to be revealed. While it is clear that there is a market for applications outside of the App Store it is not clear whether or not Apple will allow third party App Stores to compete without legal intervention. Freeman says he has lined up a lawyer in case Apple takes legal action. "The overworking goal is to provide choice," he says. "It's understandable that [Apple] wants to control things, but it has been very limiting for developers and users."

[via Saruik on Twitter and wsj image via iptf]

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

fergy (03-07-2009), ipirate (03-06-2009), name00 (03-06-2009)

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

This rocks my socks.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

This is amazing news! Finally a simple way for Devs to distribute their apps! I can't wait to see the new Cydia Store

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianmarocco's Avatar
    Thanks

This will be cool...

sounds cool.. even though i have already bought most of the apps

what means of payment will be used?

y does jay freeman want to open a cydia store we jailbroke our ipods so we could get this stuff for free but idk is this for jailbroken ipods or regular ipods

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justoon7 View Post
    y does jay freeman want to open a cydia store we jailbroke our ipods so we could get this stuff for free but idk is this for jailbroken ipods or regular ipods
    I agree with you that means every jailbroken app that was free now will be mucho dinero... guess i gotta get my paypal again

no, we jailbroke our phones to give us more control over how it works, looks, and performs. the free stuff that developers have created for our use has just been bonus. but like everything else, if you don't like it, don't use it. and i'm sure just like the apple store there will be free apps and pay apps

i look forward to seeing how this is implemented for the long run of jailbreaking
    Last edited by tw1zt3d; 03-06-2009 at 03:11 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tw1zt3d For This Useful Post:

.:MirrorminD:. (03-09-2009), JStraitiff (03-06-2009)

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Ya'll are completely missing the point. Stop looking only at "What can I nab for free"......There are plenty of apps out there that are PAID and arent allowed in the appstore.

This will do nothing more than make it easier for you to buy and install them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

Napoleon_PhoneApart (03-06-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by justoon7 View Post
    Exactly, I aint paying for ****.

^^^dont then, who said you have to

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JStraitiff For This Useful Post:

jwcrash (03-06-2009), marc180292 (03-06-2009), Napoleon_PhoneApart (03-06-2009)

Thanks

This will be nice. No more searching for how to buy this app, paypal for this one, entering in IMEI, etc etc.....
    Wonder what the one app will be? Maybe something new.

Will this be a download on cydia later tonight?
    Last edited by llj1137075; 03-06-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Typo.

Thanks

kiss and make up guys.. this is a family establishment. lmao

This could be an outlet for TomTom, Garmin, Sygic and the like to offer up a proper gps solution for the 3G.

Awesome Cydia is only missin the Multi-Install capability that we got in installer 1.4...... Remember? the "Add To Queue"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

some of you people are sickly cheap as hell. you guys cant buy a well developed app for a small price? dont embarrass yourself here. you have an iphone yet you cant afford to buy something which is usally the price of dinner? wow. i feel bad for you.

as for the store, i leave the same comment in this thread. Jay Freeman...always working to make everything work for everyone. helping developers and helping consumers in the same step.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

This might make it harder for people to crack apps now... since this will probably erase the need for serial number unlocks... you have to pay to install now? And probably files will be encrypted to yuor specific IMEI?

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    This might make it harder for people to crack apps now... since this will probably erase the need for serial number unlocks... you have to pay to install now? And probably files will be encrypted to yuor specific IMEI?
    Harder?? I though it would be easier to crack apps now since you need to pay to download the app, so no need for IMEI and serial number stuff. From what I've seen it's been pretty hard to crack apps that are based on IMEI activation whereas App Store apps take like 5 seconds to crack. Plus it'll be easier to develop without making the app specific to your IMEI.

Now if Saurik changed the UI so it's more like App Store and Installer, that would be awesome.
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 03-06-2009 at 04:24 PM.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

What's Jailbreak? bulletproofcupid's Avatar
    Near Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire, England
    Thanks

I will be supporting the Cydia Store. Jail breaking does not mean expecting developers to work on excellent apps for free. Jail breaking means you are free of Apple dictating what you have on your (you paid Apple for it after all)iPhone/iPod. It also means you are free to use it how you want. My only slight worry is that developers will start being greedy, but hey, we have lived with Apple for years being greedy so lets get behind the developers who refuse to be bullied by Apple. Good luck everyone ;-)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast