+ Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 121 to 139 of 139

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Cydia Store Going Live Tonight

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by him121213 ^^^ he wasnt pointing fingers at any of us who pay for our apps he was simply directing it towards all of the ungrateful pos who
...
  1. #121
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    ^^^ he wasnt pointing fingers at any of us who pay for our apps

    he was simply directing it towards all of the ungrateful pos who steal apps

    i think he was assuming that anyone who pays for their stuff would not take offense to the statement
    No offense personally, but the self-righteousness is amazing. i GUARANTEE if we peek at your(and everybody else's) ipod there are songs there that you did not pay for- that's the same thing as installing a cracked app. on top of that you call people POS's because they install cracked apps? im not condoning or judging either way. so EVERYONE its okay to be opinionated and share that opinion but lets quit with the self-righteous act.

  2. #122
    iPhoneaholic boe_dye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    394
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts

    *sigh*

    You know, the biggest problem with this whole DRM thing concerning music, is that it has been so perverted from it's original intention.

    Back when groups like BMI, ASCAP, and SESCAP were created, their intentions were to protect the composers of music from their creations being stolen...

    Stolen not in "Downloading", Stolen not in "Nicking a Record from the store", but Stolen as PLAGERISM.

    What was happening is that composers were writing music, and then other composers (we'll call them cover bands for lack of any better term) were taking the compositions, playing them in bars and clubs and marketing them as their own. This in turn hurt the original composer because their music was being stolen, literally, poorly played, and their reputations were getting tarnished because when people found out who's music it really was, they weren't hearing it as it was supposed to and figured that the composer wasn't all that great to begin with and in turn chose not to hire them.

    Sadly, the law was twisted and perverted and accepted to the nonsense that it is today. Clearchannel controls the radio, the RIAA controls Clearchannel, The Record companies control the RIAA (mostly). All music has to be "licensed" so that the RIAA can, in the guise of "protecting" the artist, can continue to be the multimillion dollar non profit organization that it is.
    Last edited by boe_dye; 03-09-2009 at 12:03 AM.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

  3. #123
    Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Earth.
    Posts
    2,371
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 463 Times in 270 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by skj8100 View Post
    No offense personally, but the self-righteousness is amazing. i GUARANTEE if we peek at your(and everybody else's) ipod there are songs there that you did not pay for- that's the same thing as installing a cracked app. on top of that you call people POS's because they install cracked apps? im not condoning or judging either way. so EVERYONE its okay to be opinionated and share that opinion but lets quit with the self-righteous act.
    I have paid for ever single song, software, and application found on my iphone and computer. Feel free to keep generalizing everyone just because of how easy it is to find free music. It took me a good 4 years to replace all the crap I had downloaded through college, though.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 03-08-2009 at 07:27 PM.

    I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

  4. #124
    iPhoneaholic boe_dye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    394
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts

    I just need to ask,

    But when you paid for every single song, software, and application...

    Out of all those songs that you bought, minus the ones that you purchased in a digital download format via iTunes or Amazon.com medium, how many of those CD's did you purchase brand new from the store?
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

  5. #125
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    185
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by carlbgc View Post
    But you can get free apps from the app store...
    Enjoy your free fart apps from the AppStore.

  6. #126
    iPhoneaholic ninthchamber99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    308
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts

    Wow!! This thread has made for interesting reading this Monday morning/afternoon. My opinion has changed with every post I have read. Ok, in the beginning before there was even an app store, what was the main reason people jailbroke their phone/ipod? Was it so you could customize your phone to look/sound that way you wanted it to or was it to add a new app. to your phone? I think the majority of people jailbroke their phones so they could customize it the way they wanted to. But by doing this you needed to add certain apps (some hidden from sight, others had their own icons on the homescreens). So, the true reason jailbreaking was started was to add certain applications which could in turn be used to customize the phone.

    Fast forward a little bit......Apple sees how many people are jailbreaking their phones to add new, cool, apps to their phones so they can have the best looking/sounding/functioning phone on the block and in return Apple creates the App Store to counter the jailbreaking going on. Then what happens next, most if not all the apps seen in the App Store start showing up in Cydia/Installer. Why?? Because people dont want to pay Apple a dime.

    So it is very ironic that now the ones that were offering the same apps the App Store had for free are trying to charge for them now. So what will happen next, a new free installer/cydia ripoff will be created since the Cydia Store seems to be coming.

    Bottom line is the economy EVERYWHERE is struggling. It is naive to think that people will not try to find a way to get something for free when they have the means to pay for it. All the fools on these forums who say "Stop being cheap" or "You bought an Apple product so you must have money" STFU!!!! You can not speak on a person's behalf. Maybe a year ago when they got their phone they had a job or extra cash but to say that you must have money now since you bought a phone in the past year is bull!! I have a job, plenty of money, and I still dont want to pay for anything if I can get it for free. Dont get me wrong, I have paid for apps from the app store and will probably pay for apps from this new Cydia Store crap but I will not like it. But honestly, if I offered to get you a new MacBook Pro (and we all know they are not cheap) for free, are you going to say no thank you and use your money to buy one at full price or are you going to take the free computer? And if you say you would buy one at full price, then I have some swamp land to sell you that can be used for growing crops and I'll sell it to you for a good price!!

  7. #127
    iPhoneaholic boe_dye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    394
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts

    Do you have how much money I would spend in a day if I donated to every single thing that I use?

    SomaFM, Sabayon Linux, Firefox themes and addons, Windowblinds themes, Backgrounder, Poof, Winterboard themes, every single app that is freely given, that was initially created for the person whom created it, and then shared with the rest of the world.

    Every app that is in existence started as a self-serving tool to fill a void in the eyes of the developer. They wanted to create it. They saw a need for something. They freely created it for themselves and then in turns figured that someone else was going to see the same need, and decided to share it freely.

    And then turn around and ask for a donation...

    That is like me going to the people who's computers I fix for free, and asking them to donate money to me cause I volunteered to do something.

    Volunteering your time and effort means exactly what it means. You are not hired, you are not randomly selected, you stood up and said "i'll do it for FREE!".

    And then turn around and say, "oh yeah, could you donate something to me!". Nothing personal towards anyone, but donations are meant to go to a cause. Something that benefits the poor and downtrodden, not people who obviously have enough for a 2000 dollar Macbook Pro or a 5000 dollar Mac Desktop.

    If you want to sell something, then fine sell something. If you want to give it away freely, then don't waste your time asking for donations! You chose to give it away! What did you expect that you were going to his some soft spot in my heart because you threw "donate" up in the header?

    It's like the South Park app that showed up on Cydia. My first thought was that it connected to the South Park website where the shows are posted for free. And then when it went down and the Dev started saying "oh it's gonna cost me X dollars for a new server, and out of 100000 people on a few people donated...". Sorry, but what did you honestly expect?

    And the economy? The economy is only bad because people are too damned scared to go out and spend money anymore. That is the reason and the sole reason the economy sucks right now. And it's not every where in America right now either.

    In my region of Western PA, the economy is fine and stable. People are still spending, People still have jobs, and we are just fine and dandy.

    The only reason the economy is "bad", is because people keep watching the news, freaking out at 8.2% jobless claims, and not even consider that it also means 91.8% EMPLOYED WORKING INDIVIDUALS!

    Look in the end, if dev's want to officially say give me a dollar for the app that I created, then let them. Good for them. But don't come down on my head because you might think I am "cheap" in saying I don't want to pay for something that yesterday might have cost me nothing.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

  8. #128
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    185
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ninthchamber99 View Post
    Wow!! This thread has made for interesting reading this Monday morning/afternoon. My opinion has changed with every post I have read. Ok, in the beginning before there was even an app store, what was the main reason people jailbroke their phone/ipod? Was it so you could customize your phone to look/sound that way you wanted it to or was it to add a new app. to your phone? I think the majority of people jailbroke their phones so they could customize it the way they wanted to. But by doing this you needed to add certain apps (some hidden from sight, others had their own icons on the homescreens). So, the true reason jailbreaking was started was to add certain applications which could in turn be used to customize the phone.

    Fast forward a little bit......Apple sees how many people are jailbreaking their phones to add new, cool, apps to their phones so they can have the best looking/sounding/functioning phone on the block and in return Apple creates the App Store to counter the jailbreaking going on. Then what happens next, most if not all the apps seen in the App Store start showing up in Cydia/Installer. Why?? Because people dont want to pay Apple a dime.

    So it is very ironic that now the ones that were offering the same apps the App Store had for free are trying to charge for them now. So what will happen next, a new free installer/cydia ripoff will be created since the Cydia Store seems to be coming.

    Bottom line is the economy EVERYWHERE is struggling. It is naive to think that people will not try to find a way to get something for free when they have the means to pay for it. All the fools on these forums who say "Stop being cheap" or "You bought an Apple product so you must have money" STFU!!!! You can not speak on a person's behalf. Maybe a year ago when they got their phone they had a job or extra cash but to say that you must have money now since you bought a phone in the past year is bull!! I have a job, plenty of money, and I still dont want to pay for anything if I can get it for free. Dont get me wrong, I have paid for apps from the app store and will probably pay for apps from this new Cydia Store crap but I will not like it. But honestly, if I offered to get you a new MacBook Pro (and we all know they are not cheap) for free, are you going to say no thank you and use your money to buy one at full price or are you going to take the free computer? And if you say you would buy one at full price, then I have some swamp land to sell you that can be used for growing crops and I'll sell it to you for a good price!!
    What applications can you find on AppStore that are on Cydia? Please don't kid yourself. Can you find Cycorder, Cyntact, or any other USEFUL cydia app for free on AppStore? Doubt it.

  9. #129
    iPhoneaholic ninthchamber99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    308
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bengo View Post
    What applications can you find on AppStore that are on Cydia? Please don't kid yourself. Can you find Cycorder, Cyntact, or any other USEFUL cydia app for free on AppStore? Doubt it.
    But the App Store is not just dedicated to what your narrow mind finds 'useful'. Maybe someone finds the cycorder to be useless where you find it helpful. The overall point is that the developers in the beginning shared their apps for free (or simply put, the devs. who did not require you to buy the app and called it a donation or emailed you a code to unlock the full version after their paypal acct. was hit up). When Cydia, or even the original Installer, was introduced a majority of the apps were apps to customize your phone's look and sound with the other apps being apps that could be used for everyday use for the individual user. Once Apple created the App. Store, every developer saw Apple as the greedy company that took their homebrewing ideas and made a profit off of them. So dont kid yourself into believing that their aren't any apps in the app store for free that are found on Cydia!!

    Installer was created to customize, Cydia was created to be an upgraded version of Installer, the App. Store was created to be a the 'official Apple' version of Installer and Cydia, and now the Cydia Store is being created to be the 'unofficial Apple' version of the App. Store!!! Like I said, I will buy an app from Cydia if it is good and not offered on the App. Store for cheaper. But lets face it, Installer/Cydia was free, the App. Store came along with their prices (regardless if they cost $.99 or $9.99) and has basically forced Cydia to create a 'Cydia Store', what makes you think that someone else wont come along and create another free version of cydia?

    And as a specific example of apps found for free on both the App Store and Cydia are Pipeline on the App Store and Pushr in cydia. I find both useful for sending pictures taken with the phone to my Flickr acct. Both are free, and are useful (for me anyway, dont really care about you) and with Pipeline you can send the videos taken with cycorder to your flickr acct as well (but to send the videos you need another free app from cydia called PPVideoEnabler). Again, to each his/her own. So dont make blanketed statements about usefulness because every iphone owner has their own definition of 'useful'.
    Last edited by ninthchamber99; 03-09-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  10. #130
    plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    11,691
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    Please forgive me for pointing this out..... l know your not pointing fingers at all of us as.... but maybe you should have stated this a little different as we are not all cheap.... I have followed each and every page of this thread and many in this thread have stated that they don't mind paying for apps and have bought many of them..... and have told others their concerns as far as supporting the devs.........

    I can't agree with you more as there are some on this thread that are ungrateful.......

    As I have followed this thread...... its like tug a war.... I will pay for apps and I won't..... all I can say is if your smart pay for apps.......
    Yes and sorry....I wasnt pointing at everyone (obviously those who pay are included), but one of my pet-peeves is hearing "I only jailbreak so I can get free stuff" over and over again.

    People are getting sooo upset about the Cydia change when the fact is....if a dev wanted to charge for his work, most likely he already is. Sure, Im guessing there will be a percentage that take advantage of this and start charging....but for the most part, or until something actually happens, people really need to chill.

    Quote Originally Posted by boe_dye View Post
    And this is where I will totally disagree with you on this.

    If developing apps is anything like making sound effects and audio engineering, or even making music, then the dev's are first and foremost are making the app for themselves because they feel the need for it, and once that need has been satisfied that their need has been met, then they share it because they know that someone else is probably thinking of it too.

    Believe me, I am grateful for their generosity as well as ingenuity and talent, however I would never once think that they are doing it for me.
    I disagree myself. Whether they are developing this stuff for themselves or not....if they are taking the time to release it for everyone else to enjoy at no charge.....then they are doing that for other people's enjoyment. Otherwise, why not just keep it to themselves
    Last edited by cpjr; 03-09-2009 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  11. #131
    iPhoneaholic boe_dye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    394
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bengo View Post
    What applications can you find on AppStore that are on Cydia? Please don't kid yourself. Can you find Cycorder, Cyntact, or any other USEFUL cydia app for free on AppStore? Doubt it.
    I don't think he was meaning specifically, but things like enabling emoji, mobile finder, and a few other odds and ends do end up in both places.

    Okay... so technically speaking mobile finder was on installer first and under GNU before it went to appstore, but the point is still that you can find duplicate things here and there..
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

  12. #132
    Green Apple eatdirt1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    86
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    ok just a question,because im confused,were is this cidya store,is it just on the iphone,or is there a link?

  13. #133
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdirt1 View Post
    ok just a question,because im confused,were is this cidya store,is it just on the iphone,or is there a link?
    Same question here

  14. #134
    My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    686
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts

    the cydia store i believe is just cydia like it normally is but u can purchase the apps through cydia without having to go to an outside website to purchase the app

  15. #135
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Scooterpig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    282
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 81 Times in 73 Posts

    Does anyone know if after purchasing an app from the store and then doing an OS Update or a Restore, what happens to the bought app?

  16. #136
    Livin the iPhone Life ajl917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,934
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 275 Times in 211 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Scooterpig View Post
    Does anyone know if after purchasing an app from the store and then doing an OS Update or a Restore, what happens to the bought app?
    I assume your license is still intact, but just to make sure, ask Saurik, the guy is really helpful...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  17. #137
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Scooterpig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    282
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 81 Times in 73 Posts

    Thanks ajl - did just that and got a short reply of NO never have to pay for it again, so am assuming it -re-installs itself once Cydia is fired up on an update and/or restore..

  18. #138
    The King Melech518's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,704
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

    Good to know
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

    Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

  19. #139
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    i guess ur rite

+ Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts