Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Store Going Live Tonight

i for one have noticed two things:

1) there is a substantial difference in performance of cydia since the update

2) now we know what jay looks like
    Last edited by JStraitiff; 03-07-2009 at 02:02 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I paid through amazon, paypal coming soon

Thanks

Thumbs up Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    New cydia store worked flawlessly for me! I was able to pull up the app, create an account, link my device, and pay, download, and view the app in all of 2 minutes! Payment flowed effortlessly as well. Great work Jay! Can't wait to show my wife (and her mom, sister, and best friend) cyntact and put it on her (their) phone! She will love it too! Again, major cudos to you Jay! Job very well done!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
    We have been downloading software to our phones fr how long. We download all sorts of things which potentially could damage our phones, steal personal information and so on.
    Exactly... not any different. I downloaded some font package from cydia the other night that completely obliterated my phone. Oops.

Hmmm let me see.....Because Jailbreaking my iphone is at best a $200 Loss! Using my Paypal account or credit card etc. in a grey Zone could result in thousands of dollars worth of charges.

I am not saying that is the case but who knows where your info is going, hence the Term "Grey"

Also what happens if Apple sue's Cydia and wins? Then they can get a look at every buyers records?

It's not like all of this has not happened before, just look at what DirecTV did when they siezed the records of companies that sold Smart Card programmers. These devices can be used on any kind of smart card and are sold for a ton of other applications, Yet...
    Check out part of that story

DirecTV Sues Anyone Who Bought Smartcard Reader?

I love Cydia, I wish they had left well enough alone.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
    C'mon now we are worried about transferring money to people operating in a grey area?

We have been downloading software to our phones fr how long. We download all sorts of things which potentially could damage our phones, steal personal information and so on. Now concerns arise sending money through paypal. How is sending money through paypal to one of these developers any more dangerous than sending money to someone on ebay, craigslist or other outlet.

Let me guess you don't pay bills on line because it is not safe, but you will send a check in the mail where many people may have access to the envelope and steal the check.

anyone try cyntact yet? seems kinda cool.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Quote Originally Posted by dreadlk View Post
    Hmmm let me see.....Because Jailbreaking my iphone is at best a $200 Loss! Using my Paypal account or credit card etc. in a grey Zone could result in thousands of dollars worth of charges.

I am not saying that is the case but who knows where your info is going, hence the Term "Grey"

Also what happens if Apple sue's Cydia and wins? Then they can get a look at every buyers records?

It's not like all of this has not happened before, just look at what DirecTV did when they siezed the records of companies that sold Smart Card programmers. These devices can be used on any kind of smart card and are sold for a ton of other applications, Yet...
    Check out part of that story

DirecTV Sues Anyone Who Bought Smartcard Reader?

I love Cydia, I wish they had left well enough alone.
    #1 if apple is suing for anything it will be ONLY for jailbreaking because THAT is the only thing that is iffy in their opinion. It is the process of copying files during the jailbreaking process.

#2 Cydia and its apps are in itself, NOT ILLEGAL. They are merely programs run on the iphone platform. There is NOTHING illegal about lines of code created to run on a specific platform (given they arent trying to do anything illegal with that cod such as steal cc numbers or whatever). PERIOD!

#3 Even IF Apple gets a hold of peoples info from Cydia they wont be able to do anything with it. 'Were suing you, John Doe, because you bought lines of code which were intended to add profile pics to your phone numbers muahahaha'. Na na na. This isnt going to happen

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    anyone try cyntact yet? seems kinda cool.
    I would have but there's no paypal payments yet....

Default cyntacts cool and stable
    yep i have cyntacts now I need to take more pictures or get pictures of more of my contacts so the list is complete

It's amazing how many morons dwell here.

Quite painful to read.

THERE WILL STILL BE FREE APPS. APPS LIKE BITESMS THAT YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR ANYWAY, WILL NOW BE EASIER TO PAY FOR.

all right here's the deal.

I have some of my questions answered.

Cydia Store is an extension so to speak of Cydia. You will notice that they pay app is a different color.

You can still get all the repo's and what have you as you have always had.

So that is still nice.

The question ultimately be, how many of our benevolent dev's are going to continue to offer their wares as free vs. how many are going to turn around and say give us a dollar.

And after giving it some thought, I think that is the heart of the matter that has some of us up in arms.

(by the way, if your ability to read is that of a one line quip, then don't waste your time.)

What seems to be the biggest concern is that this all seems like a "bait and switch".

For the past year or so we have enjoyed and benefited from the creativity of developers. They have given us so much and we have gotten hooked on modding our phones.

(and in many cases, from a business stand point i don't like donations).

But now that we are hooked, it almost seems as if the trend might go "well, if you want to continue to tweak, you got to pay the piper".

Like getting your own clients addicted to your product for free, and when they now need it, you charge them money.

And while donations seems nice and altruistic, at the same time it almost seems as if you are expected to "donate" for the cause, just because you downed an app, and if you don't "donate", then you are suddenly cheap.

Personally, the idea of donations has become more of, I don't want to ask for your money outright, because I want you to pay me because you feel obligated to pay for me being so great in creating this freely for you to freely use.

If you are going to give, you should give without expect of anything in return, and give because you feel that it is in you to give.

Ultimately in the end, I believe that this is the problem. We have grown comfortable in having fun jailbreaking and tweaking for free, that we are addicted to it so to speak. And now that the prospect of having all of our toys that were free yesterday cost something today feels kinda a bit like betrayal.

Cool and good and fine if people make money at it, but I hope that people will continue to develop and distribute things as has have traditionally done.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

I understand jay wants some money for his hard work, at the same time jailbroken phones are meant for more control and free apps.

As cheap as I may sound free apps is why I jailbroke my phone to begin with!!

And I certainly will stand by that. I agree with you boe_dye in regards to hit and switch, with is also known as foot in the door

phenominom (Props to my prof for that one) which is, they make you agree to something small then approach you with a larger request!!!
    Last edited by Chunky_83; 03-07-2009 at 05:50 PM.

If people can make a living from making Cydia apps, it means they can quit their day job, work on the app FULL TIME, which means faster updates and a better quality product.

I really have no problem whatsoever with paying $1 even for the smallest of apps. FFS people, how much do you spend each day on coffee, or fuel.

If you have an iPhone, you clearly have too much money as it is.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

You'll should be careful how ungrateful and cheap you all are.....

Dev's could very easily get tired of spending hours over hours developing these things just for your enjoyment.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post

Dev's could very easily get tired of spending hours over hours developing these things just for your enjoyment.
    Please forgive me for pointing this out..... l know your not pointing fingers at all of us as.... but maybe you should have stated this a little different as we are not all cheap.... I have followed each and every page of this thread and many in this thread have stated that they don't mind paying for apps and have bought many of them..... and have told others their concerns as far as supporting the devs.........

I can't agree with you more as there are some on this thread that are ungrateful.......

As I have followed this thread...... its like tug a war.... I will pay for apps and I won't..... all I can say is if your smart pay for apps.......

"Always remember your special and unique!"

^^^ he wasnt pointing fingers at any of us who pay for our apps

he was simply directing it towards all of the ungrateful pos who steal apps

i think he was assuming that anyone who pays for their stuff would not take offense to the statement

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    ^^^ he wasnt pointing fingers at any of us who pay for our apps

he was simply directing it towards all of the ungrateful pos who steal apps

i think he was assuming that anyone who pays for their stuff would not take offense to the statement
    I will agree with you..... and as I stated I knew he was not pointing fingers... just thought that these words that he stated (ungrateful and cheap you all are) could have been re-worded..... so some did not get their feelings hurt that took it wrong maybe?

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky_83 View Post
    As cheap as I may sound free apps is why I jailbroke my phone to begin with!!
    But you can get free apps from the app store...

Most people jailbreak to get turn by turn GPS, themes, SBsettings and other things that you cannot get through the app store.

Besides, CYDIA WILL STILL HAVE FREE APPS.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post

And this is where I will totally disagree with you on this.

If developing apps is anything like making sound effects and audio engineering, or even making music, then the dev's are first and foremost are making the app for themselves because they feel the need for it, and once that need has been satisfied that their need has been met, then they share it because they know that someone else is probably thinking of it too.

Believe me, I am grateful for their generosity as well as ingenuity and talent, however I would never once think that they are doing it for me.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

iPhone? More like MyPhone aussiebob's Avatar
    Thanks

I think its a great idea and if hard working people get paid for apps we can download we might get more incentive for better products and variety.
    Just bypass 1 toll on the way home or you daily coffee for an app.
    My signiture? Whats that...............

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast