+ Reply
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Store Going Live Tonight

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by sziklassy A large number of people just don't want to pay for software, period. It's not that they can't, it's that they won't. This doesn't make it
    Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    A large number of people just don't want to pay for software, period. It's not that they can't, it's that they won't. This doesn't make it right, I am just saying. Most of the software I paid for I didn't feel like I got my money's worth. That being said, going to the movies usually doesn't leave me with a feeling like I just got 10 bucks worth of entertainment over the last 2 or so hours... The people that will crack Cydia stuff have already been cracking appstore apps for a while... nothing has changed, why are we wasting our breaths?
    Paying for software has been part of the computer world for a long time.. and so has hacking and so has pirating....

The only thing I am saying is everyone has to think..... what is your time worth? Do you like using apps? Would you like to work for free? By supporting them they will make more.... as it is many developers in the appstore feel they should get more money for their apps.... and it will happen with the Cydia Store as well.......

I can't agree with you more.... I have bought apps out of the appstore and installed it and removed it within five minutes because I did not like it and then was p***ed at myself for buying the darn thing...

And yes there are some people that just refused to buy apps.....

I think with this hole thing Apple is going to get really upset because
    they are messing with their coding to do this and because someone else will be making money as well..... either Apple gets with the program or they will loose by not putting the programs in the appstore that people want.... unless Apple wins if this should go through the courts...

I feel this is all crazy myself.....

None of this would be if Apple just did what people wanted..... its been two years and they have not budged on cut,copy, paste.....

I did know what their problem is but all I know is THE PEOPLE are moving forward one way or another....

I have not jailbroke either one of my phones.... I was going to to get the programs that Apple will not allow.... I am still planning on doing it to get those programs and if I have to pay for them I will...... I am willing to pay someone that really has something I want so bad then not have it at all.....

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monroe0605 View Post
    Biggest waste of space! Why don't you kids stfu and let it will be. Let live and let go. Some of you take this hobby too seriously. So what if a new money sucking addition is coming to our beloved device. Why can't you just shut your traps until it actually comes out? It's not the greatest thing to happen since sliced bread, it's just another section in cydia where you can get ripped of for stuff and feel proud of it because Apple didn't do it. Go to bed and stop writing enormous responses. It's not neccessary!
    Sorry, my thought process and attention span goes beyond a sound bite.

"kid..." That's funny

"It's just another section where you can get ripped off stuff and feel proud" That's even funnier because ripping off implies that these apps were cracked...

You sir missed the point entirely.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i dont mind paying for stuff, dont mind them charging for their hard work. i mean cmon, developing an app is not a walk in the park, and they dont even charge that much. hardly 99 cents.
    What is really interesting is how Cydia tackles the issue of avoiding repeated purchases, backup-restore, saving settings for apps, and the overall stability post-usage of the cydia-app.
    Especially the repeat purchasing thing. Apple's "check purchases for download" and backing of apps on the computer are the most impressive feature seen on any software market for phones. No one else does this, nokia, palm, no one...as far as i know.
    Now if cydia manages this, only then will i say it matches up to the app store. Oher than that, this change wont make much of a difference to me.
    Good for developers though..Cheers!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    is the cydia store up yet? and if it is how do i access it

yep there are apps u already pay for I bought swirly mms for my mms messaging havent bought snapture yet but am thinking about it, People are assuming and making a** of themselves thinking that all apps will cost money
    "In an interview with The Wall Street Journal , Freeman says that Cydia "intends to charge developers no more than the commission Apple does for his site's billing services." The Journal also reported that two more rival app stores are also underway, including one interested in "selling adult games for the iPhone."

Perhaps I misunderstood this then...

And then perhaps I misunderstood exactly what his intentions were.

Last I read Cydia was based on Apt-Get, and it functioned very much like Debian does when you want to add/remove programs. If I am to understand this correctly, are we to see an end of repository based sources and only have apps in Cydia Store in a centralized location?

Or.

Is it in addition to all of this?

If it's in addition to all of this, then fine and good, but if it's a total replacement, then that is something else entirely.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to boe_dye For This Useful Post:

dreadlk (03-07-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I Get it! I Really Get it!
    Cydia guys are saying that if we pay and it's easy to pay then more people will pay, so most of the existing apps will get better and many more new developers will jump in for a bite.

Reality Check:
    Who the heck is going to send PayPal or Credit Card info to an unknown entity who is operating in the grey zone?

What guarantee do you offer people who are buying the stuff that it's properly made and not some sort of Spyware or just defective? Once money is involved, some good people will jump in, But a whole lot of Money grubbing SLIME will also start appearing.
    For example I installed iLocalis on my phone and even after turning it off and then uninstalling it, the software remained and was still sending out my position and possibly other info. I had to completely reset my phone to get rid of it.

Lastly
    Once you go down this road all sympathy for the cause will be gone. Cydia will now be a business competitor against itunes. Apple will have new ammunition, this will allow them to go much further in shutting down Cydia.

Stupid move guys but I guess its human nature to seek the $$$
    Last edited by dreadlk; 03-07-2009 at 10:10 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dreadlk For This Useful Post:

boe_dye (03-07-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    some of you people are sickly cheap as hell. you guys cant buy a well developed app for a small price? dont embarrass yourself here. you have an iphone yet you cant afford to buy something which is usally the price of dinner? wow. i feel bad for you.

as for the store, i leave the same comment in this thread. Jay Freeman...always working to make everything work for everyone. helping developers and helping consumers in the same step.
    Its like this, we risk jailbreaking our phones, which is now "illegal" to get free stuff which give life back to iphones. We would have gotten bored of iphone if we didnt have free stuff to download and enjoy. Some research I read recently showed, only 5% of the people who get these apps actually bother to use them constantly, the rest just play around and dont use them.

A Cydia Store, will only mean the best of Cydia will have a price, maybe winterboard will cost money soon? followed by cycorder. You wanna pay for it with your dads card go ahead, not so many people have that luxury.

I respect what jay freeman has done till now, he has made the fact we are discussing this even possible. But this move will only encourage everyone to make some money and this community will become a money making machine, not much out of the box development will take place as not everyone will afford these new apps and the only few who buy them will not encourage the developers to come up with anything newer. Maybe Jay is just trying a few idea to see if this works, my belief is it wont, maybe I will be wrong

Thats my 2cents
    Last edited by mythamp; 03-07-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

so im supposed to trust and give money to a cydia store that can't even be released on time???? that makes me feel comfortable.... welcome to anarchy my friends.... the day of communism is upon us.....

im sick of people using the "cheap" card, just cuz we don't wanna blow our money freely on apps that arent gauranteed to work.... and i can just see 90% of everyone charging now just because they can...

Thanks

Maybe now we won't have to deal with the "Pay apps tied to your current iPhone" issue. This is good. (I am ALWAYS changing iPhones.) Maybe now I can actually buy SwirlyMMS.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I would like to point out something for the people that want free all of the time.... right click on the screen within this window and click on view source...... can you understand what you see? If one thing was wrong on this page could you fix it? All it takes is . to be in the wrong place to mess up things....

Just think what it is like for a dev to make an app...... and what they are charging is hardly nothing for all of their years of experience..... THAT IS.... if it is a good working app! There is nothing worst than buying an app and it was not tested enough before it was released..... so the devs have to really do their part before charging as well..........
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 03-07-2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Added more....

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by playful_cyanide View Post
    Just wait for Apple to walk in on it's throne of lawyers. They'll beat the crap out of the store.
    From what Ive read in the newspaper, he already has a lawyer ready to go with Apple. If you think about it, Apple copied Installer/Cydia to make the App Store...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

this will be great app store/cydia store... cant wait
    THANK ME THANK THANK AGAIN..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boricua4life564 View Post
    wow this is B.S if cydia makes it like that then cydia would b worst than installer and i would rader use installer. i jailbroke my iphone to get FREE stuff/apps not 2 pay 4 them if so then i can just go 2 app store which looks nicer n runs smoother..if u think about it cydia is #1 becuase it give use many FREE apps easily
    You must not have read the articles. NOT EVERYTHING WILL COST MONEY! All the Cyida Store is doing is making it EASIER to BUY apps! Like if you choose to buy PDANet, instead of having to get a license etc., you can just pay right through Cydia Store. If a developer chooses to charge for the app, he can. He couldve charged for the app all along, but this just makes it easier to do so...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajl917 View Post
    If you think about it, Apple copied Installer/Cydia to make the App Store...
    Good point.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

what is a couple of dollars? Is it really gonna kill anyone to have to spend a couple of bucks to get some really cool stuff? I can not do what they do so I fall in the category of "pay or do not get" and I am alright with that. Peace out

Thanks

The only problem i can forsee is the drm mechanism. Crackes already cracked APPLE's drm. what makes saurik think they wont do it again with these apps?

I guess he is just depending on honest people

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

There are cracked versions of almost every Cydia paid app already dude. If someone wants to steal software they will... for the rest of us it will make life easier to pay for and download the apps from a single source.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

C'mon now we are worried about transferring money to people operating in a grey area?

We have been downloading software to our phones fr how long. We download all sorts of things which potentially could damage our phones, steal personal information and so on. Now concerns arise sending money through paypal. How is sending money through paypal to one of these developers any more dangerous than sending money to someone on ebay, craigslist or other outlet.

Let me guess you don't pay bills on line because it is not safe, but you will send a check in the mail where many people may have access to the envelope and steal the check.

My iPhone is a Part of Me nycdiplomat's Avatar
    Thanks

its out now...refresh and upgrade guys
    Verizon iPhone 4 jailbroken
    iOS 4.2.8
    I'm a NY GIANT!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone whatheck6's Avatar
    Thanks

The store is open now

Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 1,171 Posts

First paid package