+ Reply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Store Going Live Tonight

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Very simply put. 1) It, as it has been and always should be, the developers choice for you to pay for their app or not. If someone, such as myself,
    Thanks

Default allrighty, let's talk about money.
    Very simply put.

1) It, as it has been and always should be, the developers choice for you to pay for their app or not.

If someone, such as myself, wants to spend hours writing tones, drawing winterboard icons, and developing apps, and freely give them out to the world, then that is my choice. If I want to charge for it, that is my choice, and if I choose to ask for donations, that again is my choice.

I quote now, Linus Torvalds (that's the fellow who created Linux BTW).

Regarding if he ever regretted not getting paid for Linux:

"Well, If I hadn't created it, I still wouldn't have gotten anything, so it really doesn't matter".

Cydia is fringe. It's cool, it's fun, and it's NOT NOT NOT AN APPSTORE ALTERNATIVE. That is about as retarded as saying Pot is an Alternative to Cigarettes.

Cydia offers an entirely different dish of choices, but only for the "l33t" iphone users, and I of course use that term loosely. It is a fundamental flaw in the open source community, and the homebrew clubs, to get stars in their eyes thinking that they are going to make a million dollars.

Granted and without fail, xGPS is AMAZING. I myself am blown away that it is a free application, however, the developers could have chosen to sell it like intelliscreen chose to sell their app. But, they chose not too. They chose not to make it ad support, and they chose to make it a great, functional working program, and they chose to make it freely available to the world.

Now, it is simply unfair to people who don't pay for apps (and I am not talking about cracking) are cheap. Let's all remember one simple thing. It's a damn phone. Not a PSP, not an Xbox, it is a cellular phone that can do alot of very cool things.

I for one can think of many things that I would rather spend 1, 5, 10, or even 20 dollars on as opposed to an application that I MIGHT use every so often when I am going to the bathroom, or waiting in the car for my wife to get off of work.

Have I paid for an app? Yes...

One...

It was something that I had been looking for, for a while, and when it came up I thought it in my best interest to pay for it.

Now...

Will I ever pay for a Cydia App? No

Why?

Until they can offer the same type of service and backup, and interface of iTunes, and the Appstore, then no I wont, and even then no I wont. Up until now, Cydia has been a pretty cool place to get alot of cool things.

Backgrounder, Winterboard, Status Notifier.

I got these things because as with most modding that I have gotten into, these things were developed by like minded people who like me saw the need for something and filled that need. And I am willing to bet that most of these dev's were some bored tinkerers who said "hey this is cool, look what I can do". Perhaps it was done out a class project. Or maybe just because they could.

As I have always said about modding, "I was given freely, and I will give freely". It is the nature of the community that I have gotten used to for the past however many years I have been modding.

I assure you, I am not cheap by any stretch.

Have I ever donated? No. Does that make me cheap? Not at all. As my father taught me when I was a child growing up at the airport listening to him mentor all of the young and new pilots, the price of education and knowledge and things can be as simple as dinner, a case of beer, or a game of pool.

If the idea is to make cydia a gnu version of the appstore, as there is a gnu/linux version of everything else mainstream, then fine and good and cool.

However if the idea is to make Cydia a money maker, then by all means, I wish Saurik all the luck in the world as well as the developers who chose to post their products. But remember, generally speaking only 25% of users have a jailbroken phone. And out of that 25% how many people actually did it themselves vs. having a friend do it for them?

That makes a huge difference.

What happens when iPhone 3 comes out and you can't jailbreak it as easily? What happens when all the apps that I purchase from cydia are not compatible with the new firmware as that happens from time to time?

With Appstore, I get certain guarantees: It will work. I don't have to rely on uncertanties. I don't have to rely on "maybe being jailbroken". Or "maybe Jailbreaking wont be legal anymore".

What happens next month when I've spent x dollars on apps that I can only get by jailbreaking, and a new update comes out that undoes my jailbroke phone? Now I have to choose between losing money on my apps and improving my actual phone?

(of course I'm not a big jump on the update bandwagon person, but many people are)

The point is, is that Jailbreaking is cool and fun. I admire all of the work that goes into making this place what it is, as well as the work and talent of the developers.

It's a hobby of mine to tweak.

Hopefully, the majority of dev's will keep bringing us great tweaks for the great price of free, and do it because they can contribute something cool to the world.

Personally though, I can see this doing more harm then good. There are already "unauthorized" apps that you can pay for.
    Last edited by boe_dye; 03-07-2009 at 06:46 AM.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tokyo's Avatar
    Thanks

I did really love that "escape" I got from Apples grasp when I first jailbreaked that iPod Touch, now more then a year ago, im doing virtually anything possible I want to my iPhone, and there's nothing I haven't seen before. I just appreciate how far jailbreaking has come, and how much talent developers and people have put into there work that they can take and share it with everyone in one place.

It's more of a 3rd party App Store nowadays, Cydia is just knocking on Apples door wanting in and in July Apple responded with the App Store Monkey wrench. Eventually one of the two is gonna be obsolete, it just depends on if Apple will finally gives in and embrace 3rd party application, or Developers stop trying to break Apples hold. I commend Jay Freeman for taking it to the next level.

Plus +1 for our team

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

All the people who think that this means that he is making ALL the apps in Cyida paid for, no. What Freeman is doing here is making a center for all the apps that developers applied to the App Store but were turned down. He is simply doing what Apple refused to do. He's not charging for all the apps, just certain ones. Like GPS. Apple refused to let GPS apps into the App Store because they ran in the background and that broke the ever-so-precious rules. So Freeman is making a place for TomTom and Garmin and people like that to put their apps to good use. So stop complaining and try to actually think before you post maybe.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    cydia store seems like its gunna be so rad

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is why Apple wants jailbreaking to be illegal. Go Cydia >O

Green Apple
    Thanks

im getting so impatient lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone Miro89's Avatar
    Thanks

but if the free apps are still going to be free and i hope most apps will be free on it. but i am still sooo impatient to get it
    Last edited by Miro89; 03-07-2009 at 01:18 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Ok, the way that I read this is that developers can still choose to make their applications free, but if they choose to charge for their application, this makes accepting payment easier, which is always a good idea, paying for applications encourages development of new applications.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

LATE LATE LATE tonight is right.
    Geeze. is it coming out?

Green Apple
    Thanks

in our country its 12:05 am i think late tonight means when i was dreaming xd

Thanks

Well its 7:53 AM now how late last night is it going to be . I think its cool there is going to be a Cydia Store. But Apple will start a war over this!! They will lock us all on the next update and there will be problems... Just my opinion based on all the other jailbreaks
    17" MacBook Pro
    G5
    iPhone 3GS 16G 3.1 Jailbroken//AT&T
    follow me on twitter-@danvicente

iPhone? More like MyPhone wgm214's Avatar
    Thanks

It'd be cool if they got installed as ipa's and you uninstall them by pressing the x like u do with appstore apps
    Wanna-be coder/iphone user since '08

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbplayer5's Avatar
    Thanks

Until Apple releases a firmware you cant jailbreak

Green Apple
    Thanks

ITS OUT ^^ BUT LATE NIGHT rofl ^^

iPhone? More like MyPhone whatheck6's Avatar
    Thanks

It's already 10:11am, I'm getting impatient I want to see what this is truely about

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boe_dye View Post
    Very simply put.

1) It, as it has been and always should be, the developers choice for you to pay for their app or not.

If someone, such as myself, wants to spend hours writing tones, drawing winterboard icons, and developing apps, and freely give them out to the world, then that is my choice. If I want to charge for it, that is my choice, and if I choose to ask for donations, that again is my choice.

Until they can offer the same type of service and backup, and interface of iTunes, and the Appstore, then no I wont, and even then no I wont. Up until now, Cydia has been a pretty cool

Hopefully, the majority of dev's will keep bringing us great tweaks for the great price of free, and do it because they can contribute something cool to the world.

Personally though, I can see this doing more harm then good. There are already "unauthorized" apps that you can pay for.
    Biggest waste of space! Why don't you kids stfu and let it will be. Let live and let go. Some of you take this hobby too seriously. So what if a new money sucking addition is coming to our beloved device. Why can't you just shut your traps until it actually comes out? It's not the greatest thing to happen since sliced bread, it's just another section in cydia where you can get ripped of for stuff and feel proud of it because Apple didn't do it. Go to bed and stop writing enormous responses. It's not neccessary!

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

OMFG!! There are huge posts by people on hear, I mean who can be arsed actually reading these enormous posts.

People are making a big issue of whether apps will be free or not. WHO CARES if you have to pay for them!!! It's upto the developer if he wants to charge for it, not you! I bet it's all these 10-15 years old complaining like always.
    And no you don't jailbreak for free stuff, if you think that then all I can say is you people are stupid and really annoying!! You jailbroke to make your iPhone better not or free stuff.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't see what the big thing is. Aren't there already apps you have to pay for in Cydia? If not, then stop freaking out about a couple apps that you will have to shell out a couple bucks for. Just don't get them if you don't think it's worth it, and get it if you do. Not that complicated....

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Default so is it up yet
    is the cydia store up yet? and if it is how do i access it

yep there are apps u already pay for I bought swirly mms for my mms messaging havent bought snapture yet but am thinking about it, People are assuming and making a** of themselves thinking that all apps will cost money
    Last edited by wolverinemarky; 03-07-2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

So I'm going to skip reading all of the long, argumentative posts and simply say that this is an awesome idea and I can't wait for the launch!

PS - For those wondering about the launch, his Twitter states that he ran into some last minute issues but is doing his best to work them out quickly.
    Last edited by billchase2; 03-07-2009 at 09:38 AM.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billchase2 For This Useful Post:

gia1 (03-07-2009), Nick Z (03-07-2009)

+ Reply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast