+ Reply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Store Going Live Tonight

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
"our cracks will block out the sun!" -the movie '300' umm i predict 90% of the apps on cydia...... will have price tags on them...... i think this will fail
    Green Apple
    Thanks

"our cracks will block out the sun!"
    -the movie '300'

umm i predict 90% of the apps on cydia...... will have price tags on them...... i think this will fail horribly....

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tokyo's Avatar
    Thanks

Well that sucks......
    Last edited by Tokyo; 03-06-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

You guys are idiots, honestly. If you really do think that EVERY app in Cydia will cost money then you have better go elsewhere. It is the same measure of difficulty for a dev to put a DOnate button in their app and to have one before you buy it.

Also, to all those saying "I'm not buyin ****". You guys are cheap *** whiners. You can buy an APPLE product, let alone, an iPhone or iPod Touch and have the audacity to say you're not going to buy a 10 or 5 dollar app? You don't deserve the right to speak here at all.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tokyo's Avatar
    Thanks

Ah hell who cares, there's gonna be a cracked version sooner or later anyway.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

You guys in your cracks and such... what the heck! Get a job... or if you can't buy some apps get rid of your iphone.....

And also this all looks like it could get pretty dirty..... I do not think Apple is going to like this one bit! Maybe this will get Apple going in the right directions...

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Green Apple
    Thanks

the freebie people are missing the point...they're the ones that actually ruin jailbreaking for the rest of us...

it kinda runs along the lines of marilyn manson saying "people who abuse drugs make a bad name for those of us who use drugs"

nowhere does it state the everything is going to cost. if i'm reading this correctly, this is a streamlining process to make it easier for the devs who already were going to charge you for their app to charge you. for instance, one of the apps listed in the main post was iblacklist. now, instead of d/l'ing it, setting it up, getting the code, then going to the devs site, paying them, waiting for an email to get their end of the code, going back and inputting the code and unlocking full features, i can now select iblacklist, have it paid for and all features working by time its d/l'ed.... it costs money, so you people weren't going to get it anyway, so it shouldn't even be a blip on your radar.

like i said in my other post. the majority of us, jailbroke the phone so we had our own little say in how the phone operated, not because "ooo, look what i can get for free". that mentality is actually what hurts this process.. there can be 100 of us who say right on, this can only put jailbreaking into a brighter light. but then corporations and devs, zero in on the 10% who whine about not getting free stuff, (and how they only jailbroke the phone to get said free stuff), and they add that to their arsenal of "see, this is why we don't support jailbreaking".

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank You Jay Freeman, I cant wait for the store to open, wonders if there will be a separate icon for the cydia store, and yes whiners shut up omg even I am not as selfish to want every app for free, I understand how much work and sacrifice to take to make these apps and I am willing to pay money just like I would for an app from Apple. So bring on the Cydia Store I for one cant wait to see what it will have to offer,definitely cant wait to see what the first App will be.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

The fundamental reason why I will not be buying Cydia apps is the fact that they are technically a gray area (for now). Once we see some legislation ok jailbreaking and such I will reconsider, but for now I am not paying for something that could very well be deemed illegal.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

ca3
    Thanks

maybe some turn by turn will decide to toss it up

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    You guys in your cracks and such... what the heck! Get a job... or if you can't buy some apps get rid of your iphone.....

And also this all looks like it could get pretty dirty..... I do not think Apple is going to like this one bit! Maybe this will get Apple going in the right directions...
    A large number of people just don't want to pay for software, period. It's not that they can't, it's that they won't. This doesn't make it right, I am just saying. Most of the software I paid for I didn't feel like I got my money's worth. That being said, going to the movies usually doesn't leave me with a feeling like I just got 10 bucks worth of entertainment over the last 2 or so hours... The people that will crack Cydia stuff have already been cracking appstore apps for a while... nothing has changed, why are we wasting our breaths?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

howlett15 (03-06-2009)

Thanks

This looks pretty cool. I look forward to it. To all of you who are too cheap to spend a few bucks on a cydia store app, stop whining. You don't have to buy anything. You bought an iPhone. You (probably) pay a good amount of cash every month for the cell phone service on your iphone. So why can't you pay a few bucks for an app? But if you're really too stubborn and frugal to buy an app for a couple dollars, just don't buy it. And seriously, don't crack it.
    Thanks Saurik!

iPhone? More like MyPhone xxhorseriderxxx's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm just not gonna upgrade, simple as that, lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

There is a flaw in the basic principle of Cydia selling paid apps and that is that the reason behind all the commotion to jailbreak and add apps was "I'm not paying apple a dang dime when I can jailbreak and get apps for free from people developing apps for jailbreak". That is, every argument I have ever heard for jailbreaking was not having to pay for apple apps when free apps were there to be had jailbreaking.

The jailbreak community has developed over the last year to have several paid jailbreak apps now that you have to get through Cydia, and pay for independently directly to the vendor. Usually by a link that takes you directly to the site, it's a one click maneuver. Not too much different from clicking and buying it in Cydia as far as I can tell as of yet. We'll have to see over the next week as the store goes online and builds up to speed. So if it is one click from the app to buy the code from the vendor, how is one click from Cydia to buy it going to be any different? Well Obviously this is not being done without compensation to both the Cydia store, and the vendor alike. By purchasing the apps from Cydia you are undoubtedly producing revenue for Cydia. I suspect with Cydia's popularity it is much needed revenue so the store should provide support along with the AdMob ads that are in some of Saurik's apps.

So, what is the benefit of the store? It may be easier to purchase from Cydia, that is yet to be seen as the store is not open to test it. The real reason is that a percentage would be shared with Cydia (profit) and these sales from the Cydia store will generate revenue to continue to support Cydia. Does that make it less "Free" for everyone? Well, yes what we have here is the start of a second Apple store in a sense. Minus the restrictions of course. Jailbreak devs will see the chance to get paid just like Apple store devs. Things that were free might end up costing you a buck or two if the dev decides to sell it now that the jailbreak devs have an outlet to do so.

Basically this will mimic the early beginnings of the Apple store. People who can make a buck will try to do so. Unless Cydia is regulated in some way it will overflow with a bunch of junk. If it IS regulated and Jay decides the fate of who gets in and who doesn't then I can see litigation, arguments, wars and growing pains.

Whatever happens from here, Jailbreak as you know it is dead. It's the new age of application sales and now that devs have a place to do it without apple, whatever happens, happens.

Hold on, it's gonna be fun, exciting,........ and bumpy.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

colmiak (03-06-2009), royalnewjersey (03-06-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default BS
    wow this is B.S if cydia makes it like that then cydia would b worst than installer and i would rader use installer. i jailbroke my iphone to get FREE stuff/apps not 2 pay 4 them if so then i can just go 2 app store which looks nicer n runs smoother..if u think about it cydia is #1 becuase it give use many FREE apps easily

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianmarocco's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    There is a flaw in the basic principle of Cydia selling paid apps and that is that the reason behind all the commotion to jailbreak and add apps was "I'm not paying apple a dang dime when I can jailbreak and get apps for free from people developing apps for jailbreak". That is, every argument I have ever heard for jailbreaking was not having to pay for apple apps when free apps were there to be had jailbreaking.

The jailbreak community has developed over the last year to have several paid jailbreak apps now that you have to get through Cydia, and pay for independently directly to the vendor. Usually by a link that takes you directly to the site, it's a one click maneuver. Not too much different from clicking and buying it in Cydia as far as I can tell as of yet. We'll have to see over the next week as the store goes online and builds up to speed. So if it is one click from the app to buy the code from the vendor, how is one click from Cydia to buy it going to be any different? Well Obviously this is not being done without compensation to both the Cydia store, and the vendor alike. By purchasing the apps from Cydia you are undoubtedly producing revenue for Cydia. I suspect with Cydia's popularity it is much needed revenue so the store should provide support along with the AdMob ads that are in some of Saurik's apps.

So, what is the benefit of the store? It may be easier to purchase from Cydia, that is yet to be seen as the store is not open to test it. The real reason is that a percentage would be shared with Cydia (profit) and these sales from the Cydia store will generate revenue to continue to support Cydia. Does that make it less "Free" for everyone? Well, yes what we have here is the start of a second Apple store in a sense. Minus the restrictions of course. Jailbreak devs will see the chance to get paid just like Apple store devs. Things that were free might end up costing you a buck or two if the dev decides to sell it now that the jailbreak devs have an outlet to do so.

Basically this will mimic the early beginnings of the Apple store. People who can make a buck will try to do so. Unless Cydia is regulated in some way it will overflow with a bunch of junk. If it IS regulated and Jay decides the fate of who gets in and who doesn't then I can see litigation, arguments, wars and growing pains.

Whatever happens from here, Jailbreak as you know it is dead. It's the new age of application sales and now that devs have a place to do it without apple, whatever happens, happens.

Well said, except I jailbreak and have bought both official apps and JB apps...My problem with paying Apple a dime is that many of the apps are like a pizza without the cheese...ie the tons of so called navigation crap they sell. I donate to many of the developers so if something great comes along then I have no problem paying. The evolution of JB is taking a natural "organized" path that it should at this point. The original idea of JB died the minute the app store opened but the reason why we do has not changed one bit in my opinion. I agree let the bumpy road begin, at least with xGPS we can see where it should end
    Last edited by brianmarocco; 03-06-2009 at 10:50 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Those guys work there asses off. Why not get paid for it!

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is really great news for developers and jailbreakers alike. But honestly I'm not too excited that many jailbroken apps will be capitalized upon just like Apple's App store. We're going to have to start paying for things that we've gotten free this entire time. Even developers can sympathize with that.

But fair is fair, and I do think that developers deserve credit ($) for their amazing creations.

On the other hand, maybe it will open doors for developers who are on the fence about making an app, especially those who cannot get into Apple's App store. (read: Turn by Turn, Backgrounding, Video Chat, Tethering, etc...)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post

This entire statement is spot-on. I personally see the bolded poriton as the biggest issue here.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

so what next?
    instead of cracked app store apps there will be cracked cydia apps? lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

so we will have to pay for some themes, lockscreens, stuff like that?