+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BTW xGPS 1.2 for GPS Turn-by-Turn Voice Nav Went Public

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Something else that happened during my internet outage! xGPS 1.2 which we gave you a sneak peak of back in February went live. The previous version saw 162078 downloads from
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

Default BTW xGPS 1.2 for GPS Turn-by-Turn Voice Nav Went Public

Something else that happened during my internet outage! xGPS 1.2 which we gave you a sneak peak of back in February went live. The previous version saw 162078 downloads from our repo and at the time of this posting 121098 have downloaded version 1.2. That leaves about 40,000 of you that still need to update. Do it. The price is right (free). It's worth it I promise . Give some props to the devs!

From the xGPS folks:
    Everybody would say: Finally! Yes, xGPS 1.2 has been released. The version has been sent to the MMI repository and will be available within some hours. It should be in everybody’s Cydia as the MMI repository is installed by default. Just do a refresh within some hours and xGPS should pop up.

This version of xGPS has required us a lot of hours of work. We have tried to bring the most advanced and stable navigation software for the iPhone / iPod touch. However, even if we have made our best, you have to keep in mind that this software is free but not bug free. If you experience such a bug feel free to ask in the forum but do not say “It doesn’t work, it’s crappy”.
    Don't forget you can also download their manager for your desktop. If you're having trouble feel free to ask other MMi members here or mosey over to the xGPS forum

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've upgrade a couple days ago and love it. Certainly the best navigation software available for the iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Pretty neat. Much better than the last version. I'm having a problem where my GPS lock takes a long time or the signal is weak when I plug in my headphone->cassette adapter. Anybody else seen this?

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I've tested this app out the last few days and the only thing I don't like is I can't hear the directions through my stereo like the demo shows. Additionally the turn by turn VOICE is in meters and I can't find a toggle for miles. Other than that I'm extremely impressed with the app and can't complain at the price tag. Thanks DEVS!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^Same here. Absolutely amazing considering it was released for free.

Thanks

Im gonna have to see how well this works with my 2g. im pretty sure i heard before that it would not be as pleasing as 3g owners would find it.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Love it
    Man there are some awsome people creating software love this and apple suck on that.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    Im gonna have to see how well this works with my 2g. im pretty sure i heard before that it would not be as pleasing as 3g owners would find it.
    You think maybe having an actual gps device makes a difference in end-user experience

Thanks

This app is GREAT!

Incredibly accurate, and if you don't drive like a maniac (okay I have a sports car sue me), it keeps up pretty damn good!

One of the best things I found was the actual rotating of the map to keep the little blue dot going in the same relative direction that you are. It also warns you more then once as you approach your turns too.

Still needs to work a bit on what happens when you reach certain forks in the roads, but other then that it has worked flawlessly.

(And learning meters is a bit odd as opposed to yards or feet, but oh well...)

One thing that I found annoying was the not being able to edit your destination.

In my case, I put in the correct street address, but the wrong zip code. I went to edit, but the only thing it would let me do was delete the route and start over again.

But it is a damn great app, much nicer then the NOW archaic Google Maps that comes included.

AND, it worked pretty good while running the iPod in the background. I would prefer to be able to stream SHOUTcast while using it, but you can only do so much with so much memory.

Maybe a reason to purchase iPhone 3!

(okay, i'm not that elitist)

Either way, this app was simply amazing. Props, thanks, and kudos to the ones who developed this!

If getting apps like this means breaking the law when I jailbreak, then at the very least i'll have step by step instructions to the pokey!
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

yes but you need a compatible gps dongle
    https://www.orangegadgets.com/shop/p...&products_id=1

Thanks

yeah my buddy has the dongle. i heard it would still be a little less accurate even with the dongle
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I downloaded the previous version about 2 weeks ago.
    I used it one day when I was heading home and it was so inaccurate I wanted to cry..and I was all "oh this is ******** than iPhones native GPS app"
    I decided to upgrade a couple of days ago because I was too lazy to remove the old version, and OMG!
    This version is AMAZING!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It's an awesome app, no doubt about it. My only complaints are:

Voice directions don't mute mustic first, and

Cannot search for a destination and then select "Directions to here."

Either way, it's 10x better than the stock app, just needs some refinements.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    seriously genius, just need to get it to mute music and this will be even more of a winner

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i tested it out today when i was picking up my girl from work and i think this app is awesome.....really impressed.....gotta love the iphone

Green Apple
    Thanks
    awesome app. I just wished that when listening to music that the app would make the music fade out whenever the voice gives directions. Kinda like how it fades out when u receive a text or email. That'd make it the best.

Thanks

yeah my buddy has the dongle. i heard it would still be a little less accurate even with the dongle
    Why on earth should it be less accurate?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone KingRedmer's Avatar
    Thanks

is there a way to have it re-route directions if you make a wrong turn, as opposed to it saying "wrong way"? that's my only complaint. it's too hard to re-input addresses and what-not while driving if you go a different way. otherwise, amazing job. this blows the "gmap us" series from the app store out of the water. keep it up!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    great app, still has a few bugs though, voice instructions not very clear is there a way to upload your own voices like you can in a regular tom tom etc via ssh for example. tryied it out the other day to work kept directing me a longer route obviously i wont know all my short cuts but a few more options like shortest, quickest, avoid motorways etc would be nice. but overall great app keep up the good work.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Here's a dumb question...but how does the voice work? i put in an address and hear nothing. Is there a setting to turn this feature on or do you actually have to start moving? My garmin starts talking as soon as it loads the map.

I tried turning the volume up but that only turns up the ringer volume.
    Last edited by skyhighrocks; 03-05-2009 at 06:33 AM.