+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Cracking Down on Emoji Icon Easter Egg

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Spell Number -Emoji for FREE Is how it is on the UK site. They also say: ***Per request by Apple, the easter egg will be removed very soon, download the
    Thanks

Spell Number -Emoji for FREE

Is how it is on the UK site.
    They also say:
    ***Per request by Apple, the easter egg will be removed very soon, download the current version (1.03) as soon as you can.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If the phone is in Japanese, you can still get the emoji.
    Here is a list of all 3 carriers of emoji in Japan -> PHP 携帯絵文字 自動変換スクリプト
    The page is in Japanese. If you want to test your emotes from a Western carrier to Japanese and vice-versa, hit me up via PM.

Thanks

Default downed it @ 10 AM eastern time
    Hey thanks for the tip!

As of 10am Eastern Time (New York Time Zone) I have another friend who downed it,I told my other iphone friends, and they got it! Now I can use emoji with my friends!

Very cool thanks for the find, too bad its towards the end of the app.

Also, I've used emoji in sms to my wife, and she always got the txt, but the emoji was non existent.

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    I have no idea. I have never been to Japan and don't personally know any Japanese iPhone users (maybe someone will post the answer)

also yes, someday I will learn to type
    I got it...

After reading that article (above) about how the Japanese think the iPhone is inferior, Apple is probably spiteful and is punishing us for it.
    Last edited by boe_dye; 02-28-2009 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Thanks

Great find, thanks for the info.

Thanks

Yeah I disabled the keyboard after finding out everyone on the receiving end of SMS, emails, and IMs just saw empty boxes or non existant messages altogether. Useless really.

Anyway, Apple did the same thing with screenshots on 1.1.3+4 if my memory serves me well. An installer app (Oh the good 'ol days with Installer) simple activated it, just like we are now with Emoji. I don't understand why they put it in the framework if it's disabled in the first place. Well if they're following the same pattern they did with the screenshots, Emoji will be legitimately enabled on a major update...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Other people with iPhones have been able to receive these. My friend with Altel (Samsung Delve) could not- even the message sent with the emoji could not be seen.

Still trying to figure out if others can see it or not... I wonder if it's service based or phone specific whether people can see them or not? Either way... I like!

Thanks

I think it's phone specific. The same as some phones will translate ; ) to and others will not.
    Actually, having just thought as I was typing this, it probably has something to do with if the phone has unicode turned on or not. I'll have to have a play - the problem with turning it on is character counts in texts can go strange so you end up sending 2 or even 3 texts instead of one as the extended characters actually use more than one byte.

I wonder if that's the reason Apple are 'discouraging' this? It could just be they don't want people to complain when they find each text is counting as more than one and lots of people can't receive them anyway .

I could, as always, be wrong.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nhreminh View Post
    would enabling these allow us to use them in texts? and if so, what would other cell phones receive?
    The strange thing is that I sent a few texts to a friend of mine on the Verizon network with Imoji in them and she didn't even receive the texts. Soon as I re-sent them without the emoji she received them just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GregTheWang View Post
    I don't understand why they put it in the framework if it's disabled in the first place. Well if they're following the same pattern they did with the screenshots, Emoji will be legitimately enabled on a major update...
    This is a very common practice, actually, especially in the MMO gaming world. Sometimes it makes it to test but they are not ready to fully launch it and it is easier to simply disable the content than get rid of it all together.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 03-01-2009 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks
    so far, nothing ive sent these things to can make sense of them. maybe apple didnt want to set itself up for failure by offering something that cant even be utilized fully.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rryyddeerr View Post
    so far, nothing ive sent these things to can make sense of them. maybe apple didnt want to set itself up for failure by offering something that cant even be utilized fully.
    This is pretty much it. Aside from other iPhones, I don't think any other phones here in the states can properly read/show these because it's a different format so it's useless to offer it here since it all it does is either break texting or showing boxes that make no sense.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone scottvalentine's Avatar
    Thanks

Unless you have 6 friends with iphones, who can see them, or you can put the Emoji in your contacts and it shows up when they call or SMS, and of course you can post them in appstore reviews and everyone running 2.2+ can see them.
    There are No stupid questions, Only stupid people

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    Tried emailing myself and using emoji and when I put the emotion icons in the email message when I got it there were squares in their places....
    I was under the impression the emoji icons are for SMS, not email. Also to see the emoji icons the receiver must have a phone which supports emoji icons. I have no problem with it using the emoji icon enabler found in Cydia with firmware 2.2.1.
    Last edited by imagine engine; 03-02-2009 at 06:45 PM.

SOHO: MacBook Pro, iMac, Maya, Shake, FCS 2, iLife, iWork, Office, Time Capsule, iPhone 3G 16GB

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple is one strange company block all useful and good apps keep all the rubbish apps there. What kind of world are we liveing in...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apple is just damn retarded. Why not enable the icons for everyone? What harm could it possibly do and it would be another thing the iPhone has that other phones don't, besides "big brother" that is.. Well I'm glad my phone is jailbroken.

Thanks

As has been stated before - most phones can't view these emoji so Apple would get far more complaints than thanks if they did enable them.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    As has been stated before - most phones can't view these emoji so Apple would get far more complaints than thanks if they did enable them.
    True. But as I've said before .... Apple should stop making decisions for us. Let us make the decision to use with it's limitations .... or not!! JMHO

Thanks

I think that most users are not savvy enough to realise this but I don't know why they are stopping 3rd parties enabling them - that way only people who know what they are will enable them and the comeback is on the app supplier rather than Apple.
    Never mind - there's always the cydia app

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12