Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Canada Getting Second Hand Treatment in the First World!?!

All I have to say is that some of you need to take a chill pill and calm down. Someone writes something that they have seen and you bit their head off. Let's be thankful that so many people are trying to look out for us rather then hateful. Be nice, relax, deep breath. We all love our iPhones, but have major problems with the way Apple controls our iPhones.

Of course an iTunes gift card will work. Any card used online is viewed as a credit card anyway.

I asked Apple about this.. they gave me a free bluetooth headset.

I also contacted my MP about this law.. 2 months now and no answer. They say they still looking for the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Shouri View Post
    I don't know what you're smoking, but you cannot buy applications/games with gift cards. You can only purchase songs, videos and audio books.

Maybe you were using a credit card that looked like an iTunes card?
    Well, he can use an iTunes gift card to buy apps if he registered his account in the US.

I live in Mexico and I have an iTunes US account, I used paypal with iTunes store because iTunes for Mexico has only the App Store section, but also there are no option for buying apps with iTunes gift cards here, I can buy apps with credit or debit cards with my mexcan iTunes account.

so in few words:
    Live in canada, US iTunes account, iTunes gift cards for buying apps (not so hard).

Quote Originally Posted by macgirl3G View Post
    I live in Mexico and I have an iTunes US account,
    Isn't that illegal?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am also on the boat with the rest of the "who cares crew" This is hardly worth listing as news...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macgirl3G View Post
    Well, he can use an iTunes gift card to buy apps if he registered his account in the US.

I live in Mexico and I have an iTunes US account, I used paypal with iTunes store because iTunes for Mexico has only the App Store section, but also there are no option for buying apps with iTunes gift cards here, I can buy apps with credit or debit cards with my mexcan iTunes account.

so in few words:
    Live in canada, US iTunes account, iTunes gift cards for buying apps (not so hard).
    While that's possible to reside in Canada and register a US account and use a gift card, it is not possible, furthermore it is illegal to register for a US account if you live in Canada. It clearly states in the Canadian TOS that you have to purchase from the Canadian store, which does not allow one to use a gift card to purchase apps/games.

Edit: I suppose it is also illegal to jailbreak yer iPhone/iPod as well, but the above is just to illustrate my point. No hard feelings
    Last edited by Shouri; 02-27-2009 at 03:37 PM.

this is bull

Thanks

In my account payment information I have the option to pay with a major credit card or use the iTunes gift card. Even if the gift card wasn't allowed to buy iPhone apps the buyer can use a prepaid Visa or Mastercard credit card if they don't have established credit. Such credit cards are available from several stores such as Walmart, Safeway, Superstore, etc.

SOHO: MacBook Pro, iMac, Maya, Shake, FCS 2, iLife, iWork, Office, Time Capsule, iPhone 3G 16GB

Thanks

That's a good idea. I never thought of that. Apple loses money on gift cards, and we still win. Maybe it'll give them incentive to try and get that annoying law changed.

Why is that law in effect in Canada anyway? Does anyone have a link to whatever law they are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Isn't that illegal?
    Maybe is illegal, but when I registered my account the terms didn't state that I need to register an address where I live or reside, it stated register a valid US address, anyway one of my brothers lived in US (now in Canada) and I used his address, also I got an US bank account but I used paypal because it allowed me to use my local credit card.

Anyway we were talking about "Live in Canada" and "use a gift card" for buying on iTunes, not the legality.

What is more illegal downloading piracy music or buying music "outside" TOS?
    Last edited by macgirl3G; 02-28-2009 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sayam View Post
    what if you get a gift cad on your birthday and wanna buy some apps with it? it hurts if you can't!
    I live in Canada as well, I got gift cards for xmas and my bday from family members over 500$ worth all together and couldn't spend any of it on apps.

But I think what iTunes is doing, blaming it on Commerce laws and taxes, is rubbish. A gift card is a gift card, its just like real money, in fact it is. Someone had to pay that face value for it in the store. So whats the difference? Look at FutureShop BestBuy Walmart, are they saying if someone buys me a gift card for there, I can't buy any software because of commerce laws? No.
    Last edited by rdwalsh; 03-01-2009 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shouri View Post
    Apple loses money on gift cards, and we still win.
    How do they lose money? What if you lose or forget about your iTunes card? That's pure profit for them.

Thanks

I was thinking they lose money since no one would buy the gift cards and buy those pre-paid credit cards instead. Although, they'd still be getting the money anyway since you'd be spending it on the applications.

I guess, you could spend only some of it on apps and the rest on other things. Anyway, nevermind what I said. I was tired when I wrote it haha

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

you know what i dont like about the canadian itunes store is that they dont have as much content on it. well the only thing ive actually noticed is that they dont have certain tv shows that i want to get. its kind of annoying.

the original post IS correct, even though its meaning has been twisted a bit in this tread

you cannot buy apps in the Canadian AppStore using anything other than a credit card. gift cards (i.e. Canadian ones) and iTunes account balances cannot and will not be used when you purchase an app. You are not even given a choice to choose what kind of payment when buying an app in the Canadian AppStore. As pointed out in the original post, the TOS clearly states credit card only for app purchases.

In the Canadian iTunes store, gift cards (which simply get added to your account balance) can only be used for music, or movies/TV shows. Period.

yes, it is very annoying. but true. anyhow, it's old news. been like this since day 1 of the Canadian AppStore.

of course, as others have pointed out, (US) gift cards can be used in the US app store. But that's not what the original post was really talking about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12