+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dashboard on its Way to the iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
In lieu of his announcement that he will not be continuing development of Stacks after version 2.2 Steven Troughton-Smith has revealed that his next iPhone project will be Dashboard. For
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

Default Dashboard on its Way to the iPhone

In lieu of his announcement that he will not be continuing development of Stacks after version 2.2 Steven Troughton-Smith has revealed that his next iPhone project will be Dashboard. For those that are unfamiliar with OS X, Dashboard is a nifty little area that holds/displays widgets like clock, currency converters, weather, dictionary, and countless more all on one screen.

Dashboard on the iPhone could be a very neat way to throw a bunch of useful but compact widgets on one screen of the iPhone for quick access and we hope to see it released sometime soon. The video above is by Steven and is his Dashboard program running within the SDK. Looks smooth so far.

Thanks

is that on the simulator?

cool wont be long... looking forward to it

Thanks

sweet

Thanks

Looks nifty, but I don't think I'd ever use it. It seems silly to me to have a clock widget when you have your clock right at the top of the screen. The same goes for a notes widget... There is an icon right on the home screen for that too. I understand that I may receive a lot of flack for saying this, but unless there are some original widgets, I don't see very many people using this at all. Why put more stress on your phone (and springboard for that matter) by launching an app that will probably munch on quite a bit of memory (in comparison to the standard app running)?
    On the other hand, if you use this in conjunction with "poof" to clean up your home screens and give you more space for apps... then I'd say go for it. If it were me (which is what I do now ), I would just clean up the home screens with poof and launch any seldom-used, but none the less cool/I-might-use-it-once-in-a-blue-moon apps from MobileFinder. Just my opinion.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thats great news, now instead of the usual methods (i use catagories) ill have a widgets page for all the stuff i use on my mac.

looking forward to a working version of this on iPhone!

Thanks

execatly how many widgets would you be able to get onto the iPhone sceen?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Sweet sweet!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wcbardwell View Post
    Looks nifty, but I don't think I'd ever use it.
    That just about sums up my feelings on the matter
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

I don't see why you would need this. Clock is already on the springboard, so are the notes, and weather. They should spend their time working on something else.

Green Apple
    Thanks

looks cool

h2a
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

this is dumb. most of the crap on the iPhone already looks and acts like widgets. theres no point in having dashboard. i'd much rather have stacks. what a waste of time.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ltjbigshot's Avatar
    Thanks

Im confused as to why he has quit working on stacks now. I though he was done supporting the jailbroken community...Oh well... This would be some neat eye candy to have on my iPhone!
    Sent from my iPad

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

I prefer stacks. If the widgets are running all the time then it will slow down the phone. From the video I can't tell if you will be stuck with the widgets it comes with or you can add your own. Actually I would rather have the ability to turn any of the dock items into a stack.
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't possibly imagine using this at all, let alone wanting it or needing it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone RaMod's Avatar
    Thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he "stopped" from developing the Stacks app due to copyrights and infringement? How is "Dashboard" app any diff.?!

Anyway, like everyone here, I think that this app has more of the cool effect than the regular use, since the iPhone doesn't have that much memory. Maybe when the next iPhone will be out then we can see more "not so useful" apps that we can just have it on so we can pull them out and show off!! :P Just my 2 Euros!! LOL

Later,
    RaMod
    RaMod!
    If I helped you out, please press ... thanks!

=The iPhone?!...wait!...what happened!?=

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RaMod View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he "stopped" from developing the Stacks app due to copyrights and infringement? How is "Dashboard" app any diff.?!
    No he stopped because his game Lights Off had been cracked(by paniK) and more people were using the cracked version of it than people who officialy bought it, so he wasn't making hardly any money. I still don't understand why he took Stacks of Cydia?????? Why not just leave it in Cydia??

The Dashboard would be a good idea if it was on the lockscreen and not the homescreen, why would I use it when I can just touch the Clock or Notes widget!

Would be much better on the lockscreen like on HTC or Samsung mobiles.
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 02-25-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone RaMod's Avatar
    Thanks

Ohh I see!! But then why would he start a new app development?! Hmmm...
    RaMod!
    If I helped you out, please press ... thanks!

=The iPhone?!...wait!...what happened!?=

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

you are wrong
    he stopped because people keep on pirating his work and giving it away free. so he was losing out on profit, and stacks is a free program so he couldnt be bothered to put any more time and effort in to it only to be robbed from behind with his appstore apps.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Green Apple
    Thanks

id use it because i don't like to enter the notes when i need it just for just 2 words (notes) ^^

Thanks

Not everyone has the clock above at the home screen ive got my own name on it and cant see the clock so this could be very useful for me. Although i think the clock looks ugly maybe better theme or something =p ? anyway nice work hope it gets released fast looks useful.