+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How To "Make It" in the AppStore

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The AppStore isn't the perfect place for business. There have been many cries from developers for change and Apple has worked towards making the AppStore a better place with minor
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,268 Times in 652 Posts

Default How To "Make It" in the AppStore
    The AppStore isn't the perfect place for business. There have been many cries from developers for change and Apple has worked towards making the AppStore a better place with minor updates like separating top paid and top free apps, having top apps listed by category, etc.

Getting a little more scientific on the subject of AppStore success Pinch Media has but together a very nifty slideshow (below) of what they believe to be the secrets of AppStore succes like release timing, pricing, quality, marketing, the reviews, competitor actions, duplication, etc. Check out the Slide Show for some pretty charts and graphs. While it wont give you the perfect formula for "Making it" the Slide Show does give some good guidance in the right direction.

[via tuaw]

Thanks

thats okay im not even thinking about releasing anything in the appstore because of the iphone war

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I personally think the appstore sucks for the devs and the customer as well... once they release an app its out there for a short time then forgotten unless your the type of person that has tons of time to go through each page in the appstore all of the time...

Now for the customers... it sucks as well.... when there are new releases and such you don't always see whats new etc... even though there are sites that try to keep up with this three ring circus they miss things also...

I know I have went into the appstore and then seen an app I would like and said wow I didn't see this one released! And I am watching five different app sites as well....

I liked it how it used to be set up myself.... I hate to even look at the appstore anymore... its to much like organized confusion anymore and a zoo at that.... LOL

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I would make a pp, but on stupid windows

Thanks

The Appstore is like a supermarket. There's the categorized isles, and there the isle end specials. When you go shopping do you just breeze through the specials and then leave? No, you look for the item you want, and get it. If you have an item in mind, but want to look through the brands, you use the categories.

Comes down to a simple question, if you think the Appstore layout sucks, how would you make it better?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Theres tooo much useless stuff in the App Store and to be honest I can't see many of the devs "making" it in the App Store.
    How would I make it better?? I want it to be how it was originally so if any app gets an update it'll appear at the front in the "Release Date" section so you know if the app is still being developed or just forgotton about.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

If you're just looking to browse or check updates, why not use App Shopper: iPhone Apps, Deals and Discovery ? Once you find what you're looking for, just search for it in Appstore.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

thetoothfairy (02-20-2009)

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeh I used to use the RSS feed for App Shopper but when just c*ap started showing up in the feed most of the time, I just deleted it.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Last edited by mobilexile; 02-20-2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    The Appstore is like a supermarket. There's the categorized isles, and there the isle end specials. When you go shopping do you just breeze through the specials and then leave? No, you look for the item you want, and get it. If you have an item in mind, but want to look through the brands, you use the categories.

Comes down to a simple question, if you think the Appstore layout sucks, how would you make it better?
    Layout is fine......I liked it when they had an area for new apps and new free apps....

Quote Originally Posted by mobilexile View Post
    I would strip down the homepage of the app store to direct visitors to the big buckets of application categories. Art historians use the term horror vacui to describe the fear of empty spaces. The app store suffers from this concept -- it's a congested shitfest. I use this approach to attack becaue of you analogy of choice -- supermarkets. That business has honed their product offering over several decades -- Apple should learn from this experience and apply the basic principles to the app store and iTune store as a whole.

If devs rely solely on the app store to succeed they deserve to die cold and without sales. That's a lazy *** approach to running a business. Devs should be promoting their apps outside the app store and driving traffic to their sites as well as the app store. That's what smart business people could and would do.

Sorry, I just don't buy the 'poor developer' argument.
    l couldn't agree more.... I like it when they have a video you can watch.... many of times you can view them on youtube..... and their sites....

They could also advertise their new app in the app section on this forum as well as it gets a ton of traffic... and other ones as well....
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 02-20-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone agentfubu's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm sorry but I feel like this site is just a mirror of TUAW's news now... I'll check TUAW then a little while later check here and it'll be all the same content. I love the community part of this website but they need to get some unique news.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by agentfubu View Post
    I'm sorry but I feel like this site is just a mirror of TUAW's news now... I'll check TUAW then a little while later check here and it'll be all the same content. I love the community part of this website but they need to get some unique news.
    All of the sites have the same content here or there when news gets out they all post it, it just depends on what site is your best site to get your news at....

I can't thank you enough for loving the community part of this forum!

If you would like unique news you are always welcome to find some and share with this community, we would be more than glad to welcome it!

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    If you're just looking to browse or check updates, why not use App Shopper: iPhone Apps, Deals and Discovery ? Once you find what you're looking for, just search for it in Appstore.
    I use this one also and a few others.... thanks for sharing the link!
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 02-20-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    I personally think the appstore sucks for the devs and the customer as well... once they release an app its out there for a short time then forgotten unless your the type of person that has tons of time to go through each page in the appstore all of the time...
    This is true for devs making garbage. make something people want and it will sell no matter how old, especially with updates.

Quote Originally Posted by agentfubu View Post
    do you read the paper? i am sure you don't expect each paper to have fully exclusive news...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 02-23-2009 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings