Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia, Mozilla, Skype and Others Join EFF in Jailbreak Fight

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,276 Times in 652 Posts

Default Cydia, Mozilla, Skype and Others Join EFF in Jailbreak Fight
    All three have filed comments with the U.S. Copyright office supporting the Electronic Frontier Foundation's request for an exemption to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act who's goal is to allow Jailbreakers to not have any fear of possible legal Jailbreaking ramifications even though Apple claims that Jailbreaking is illegal.

Mozilla

In an interview with Computer World Mozilla CEO John Lilly said "This is not us criticizing Apple," and then "But it's the principle of the thing. Choice is good for users, and choice shouldn't be criminalized. The Internet is too important for all of us for that."

Mozilla General Counsel Harvey Anderson are quoted saying "Given the choice, would we work on a platform where the sole company controlling it makes us unwelcome, or would we work on a platform, like Linux, where we are welcome? The answer is going to be easy for us," continuing with "These devices contain Internet Web browser, and are therefore effectively users' doorway to the Internet -- a public commons. Consumers should be entitled to use any software program they choose to access the Internet."

While we believe the possibility of Mozilla actively developing an iPhone application with the intention of distribution via Cydia on Jailbroken phones it is a definite possibility, The quotes above seem to indicate that if nothing else they have interest.

Skype has their own reasons for supporting the EFF's request for exemption. Skype counsels Henry Goldberg and Devendra Kumar say that Skype "strongly supports open wireless broadband networks; i.e., wireless networks on which users can attach (non-harmful) devices of their choice ('no locking') and use software applications of their choice on such devices ('no blocking')."

Currently Skype does not have an application on the iPhone but third parties do have Voip apps available on the AppStore that support Skype (but only over wifi). Is Skype possibly working on their own application?

Others

Meany other people filed comments both for and against the EFF's proposed exemption including Jay Freeman (developer of Cydia), ebay, and even Time Warner. If you would like to see everyone that filed comments and read their comments you can at copyright.gov

[via all over the place]

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

Dr UAE (03-03-2009), JStraitiff (02-19-2009), NakedFaerie (02-20-2009), r1994augusto (02-19-2009)

This is great. I hope a lot more sign up and show apple whats what.
    p.s. First!

Awesome job Mozilla and Skype. We need more big hitters on the EFF's side.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

I would like to say thank you to the people and companies that make our iphones even better than what Apple thought it could be. I was looking at a mac for a new laptop, but after seeing all that they hold back from
    us I went and bought a pc that I can do whatever I want with of and not be threatened.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jshdw1100 For This Useful Post:

NakedFaerie (02-20-2009)

That's really great. I'm glad large companies are jumping on the side of the consumer.

I just don't understand where Apple is headed. With all the legal battles over "mac-clones", legal battles over iTunes, legal battles over unlocking and jailbreaking. This doesn't seem like the Apple we all know/trust.

They better start reading the blogs and figure out that people are sick of their new monopolistic trends.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to royalnewjersey For This Useful Post:

NakedFaerie (02-20-2009)

Thanks

"...Choice is good for users, and choice shouldn't be criminalized. The Internet is too important for all of us for that."
    Best thing I've read today, no joke.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Same here, got my xps studio last week and I don't regret it one bit. Been a machead for a while, and to be honest I wish Windows would invest some time an money making a new phone that would compete with the iphone... I would drop the iphone in a heartbeat!!!!

im glad we are getting some people with power on our side in this fight. this is going to go one of two ways, we will get enough supporters that apple will drop the subject.(not likely) or it is going to be a war and we need to be prepared for it. meaning we need to get as many people on our side as we can.

apple is not going to go down without a fight!!!

and the fight begins
    lol
    this is gonna be an entertaining year for me after all >.<

Thanks

Hi Guys, my 2p worth is....I work for Panasonic (just got promoted today )And we make home cinema systems, hifi, blu-ray, car systems etc ALL compatible with apple product, And i mean dedicated ipod docks and cables etc. If a big company like us can see the benefits of working together why cant apple. Apple your stuff is good, but dont think your gods in this shiz! your build quality is quite lousy but we still support you, just give us what we want so we keep buying from you. or are you just to DUMB and want to kill all you have achieved.

I'd like to say thanks to Mozilla, Skype, eBay, and all of the other big companies for supporting jailbreaking.

I find it ironic that Apple official claimed that jailbreaking is illegal with the intent of gaining full control over iPhones and iTouchs, but with the way things are going, Apple may have ended up shooting themselves in the foot with a bazooka, destroying every bit of control that they think they have. (When I say full control, I mean full control with the exception of the tens of thousands of us who will never stop jailbreaking.)
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Being the cynical bastard that I am, if I were in Apple;s shoes I would just stop producing the phone all together. Of course, this is not I want... but wouldn;t that be a kick in the consumer's pants? :P
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

as long as corporations like this, who have the financial muscle to use as backup, it gives us the ability to raise our voices and actually be heard.
    Last edited by tw1zt3d; 02-19-2009 at 06:21 PM.

Default Ummm why is this happening not on Jobs' watch??
    I find it funny that all this time Apple had no prob with JBing the phone. Steve-O takes a step aside and now the flood gates open!! Been keeping an eye on how this goes with all of the new IP laws being passed as of late. One step further, if JBing is deemed, "illegal" would sites like this that "promote" the process fall vicitm to aiding and abedding an illegal enterprise? Wondering where Apple is going with this? And why now, and is it coincidence that Steve is not in charge???
    Last edited by seanobx; 02-19-2009 at 07:25 PM. Reason: addition
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=69185&dateline=119575  6040

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seanobx View Post
    I find it funny that all this time Apple had no prob with JBing the phone. Steve-O takes a step aside and now the flood gates open!! Been keeping an eye on how this goes with all of the new IP laws being passed as of late. One step further, if JBing is deemed, "illegal" would sites like this that "promote" the process fall vicitm to aiding and abedding an illegal enterprise? Wondering where Apple is going with this? And why now, and is it coincidence that Steve is not in charge???
    I agree and Im assuming thats one of many reasons why u see Jay Freedman on that list of people against it.

He would probably in the front of the firing squad.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Being the cynical bastard that I am, if I were in Apple;s shoes I would just stop producing the phone all together. Of course, this is not I want... but wouldn;t that be a kick in the consumer's pants? :P
    Then they could call it the Newton II

Quote Originally Posted by seanobx View Post
    That's very true.

Very true indeed. While Steve is out with health issues it would appear that some people are getting bright ideas.

And if that is the case, and it's really the substitute making waves, and not Steve, then I would imagine that Steve will come back and "De-Virginize" all of them.
    Last edited by boe_dye; 02-19-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

I would love MOZILLA!!!!!!

...mmm i wonder if Google will finally have the balls to step up to the Big A and tell them off.

I mean... Google being told by Apple not to put Multi-Touch on G1?
    pfft.

Your Google! Sign up and lets stick it to Apple.

God damnit Apple, why do you release products that are popular and so f*cking fun to hack.

I hate Apple, but i can't hate my beautiful iPhone.
    myRepoSpace.com - Easily create your own Cydia Repo.

A petition should be made, all these different companies eg. Mozilla Skype could join.. And i think Mozilla and Skype are right because we pay the hundreds of dollars and we should be able to do what we damn right wish

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jshdw1100 View Post
    I would like to say thank you to the people and companies that make our iphones even better than what Apple thought it could be. I was looking at a mac for a new laptop, but after seeing all that they hold back from
    us I went and bought a pc that I can do whatever I want with of and not be threatened.
    I TOLD YOU!!!!

Not you jshdw1100 exactly but everyone else.

In the post about Apple trying to make Jailbreaking illegal I said Apple doing this would make Mac users turn to PCs and this is exactly whats happened here.

Before I got the iPhone I was interested in getting a macbook. Now there is no way I will ever buy anything Apple ever again. When this iphone dies its the bin for it and a better phone for me. Probably the android or a HTC. Anything but the iPhone as I refuse to support Apple anymore.

Apple can get stuffed the same way I dropped Metallica after thier crap with MP3s and file sharing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast