+ Reply
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Officially Claims Jailbreaking Illegal

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
i love my iPhone and i love Apple. As for the accusation of "Jailbreaking being illegal". You should take that up with my attorney. :-)
    Thanks

i love my iPhone and i love Apple. As for the accusation of "Jailbreaking being illegal". You should take that up with my attorney. :-)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wink Fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by i pimping View Post
    "Of course, many iPhone owners will be happy to choose solely from the applications that Apple is willing to approve, just like many Ford owners are happy relying exclusively on their local Ford dealer. But if you want to pop the hood, the DMCA surely shouldn't stand in your way."
    but you dont see ford complaining when guys customize there cars becouse it only helps sell them when potential ford custumers see what can be done with a standard car
    Apple shouldn't be complaining either.. Every single one of my friends that has played with my phone like it BECAUSE it can be jailbreaked and so much more can be done to it that way! This is the same exact thing, people customize (jailbreak) their iPhones, their friends get to see what can be done to a "standard iPhone" and go buy an iPhone.

Thanks

Consumers shouldn't need to put up with a manufacturer telling them what they can or cannot do with their hardware once they have paid for it. It's a ridiculous concept to have Apple try to control what consumers put on their iPhones. If they were allowed to do this then there's nothing stopping them from going one step further saying they can control what we install on our Macs. Apple needs to seriously grow up and realize the cellphone market is a competitive one that offers consumers features that are not included with the iPhone. Apple should be happy that instead of jumping to the competition we're open to believing Apple will change their restrictive App Store approval policy and for now jailbreak to have features such as tethering, copy/paste, turn by turn voice navigation, video recording, etc.

SOHO: MacBook Pro, iMac, Maya, Shake, FCS 2, iLife, iWork, Office, Time Capsule, iPhone 3G 16GB

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The Term 'Illegal' is overrated! well at least in this case. I think that apple just chose to put a fancy name on an issue that they are nearly losing. That is the 'Cat and Mouse' game ofcourse. Its just a statement to scare off some of their clients, nothing more.

Thanks

Default Poor Apple...
    Poor Apple, the economy must be taking a toll on them as well. Perhaps the Apple legal group risked downsizing and just created some value for themselves by suing dollars out of their customers in the name of "copyright infringement".

Funny thing, I was seriously contemplating wiping off all of my custom apps since my phone acts like crap lately. Dropped calls, missed calls, lag and freeze, crashing apps, etc.. I've had several iPhones since they came out, have gotten my wife on board, family members, and friends. I have also had to weigh fact that it's likely not the customizations causing the problem, but poor design and quality practices within the base phone to begin with - as evidenced by my wife's virgin phone.

If this thing flies, now risking being sued/fined/jailed for customizing my phone - the phone goes on eBay and I go to another phone. Frankly, the iPhone is neat but it's not that neat. The innovation ended 1+ years ago. Now, there's other stuff on the market - and in this economy, it's probably best to fund a company more willing to offer real value by embracing its customize base - not suing them.

Cheers,
    Atreides Modi
    Clifton, NJ

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What are the consequences anyway?

Thanks

I'm not sure everyone thought of this: I think they also made jailbreaking illegal is that we are getting 3rd applications for free. Well, too bad! Also, I wouldn't have jailbreak my iPod touch if you didn't put restrictions on the SDK terms.

No Apple For You, Apple!!
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I am restoring my phone right away!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well cuff my *** and send me to Jail.

This reminds me of the time I took my Pontiac G5 in to have the check engine light checked out. I have a Pioneer DEH-9800BT installed (nice CD/MP3/iPod receiver). They tried to tell me that i voided my warranty and the oxgen sensor was somehow broken because of my radio. The only difference being, im not looking for a warranty service, or anything from apple for that matter. i bought my phone and ill do as i damn well please. note that even GM did not attempt to tell me i cant do that, just that its a bad idea and it could void my warranty if i went any further with the modification. NOT illegal. it also reminds me of back in the day when ATT tried to tell everyone they could only have one phone and you had to get it from ATT.

if this turns out to be a problem, ill send my phone back in, and ill ask for a refund, then get a G1 or some android phone.

ill also note that i have opensource programs running both on my mac and my pc.
    the FBI hasnt stopped by yet.
    T-mobile has stolen my wallet's heart

Thanks

This is rather a familiar story. Hey remember this one time... where downloading songs was illegal... but it didnt matter... coz it didnt stop 6.2 billion from getting that latest Britney Spears hit... yeah, i dont think in this case it matters either.
    Seriously, what are the chances of you going through checkpoints at the airport, and out of nowhere security asks to check if you have a legitimate iPhone sofware. Chillax
    For Updated Icon packs:

Glare, Non-Glare or Orbz 3.0

Make sure to thank the guys:
    1hihum (Uploader/iconmaker), JoOosty (Uploader/iconmaker), Sele (Iconmaker) and last but not least H0ckey (Does Not Need Introduction)! And special thanks to everybody else I forgot to mention, Sorry!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My jailbroken ipod touch wont turn on!!!!!
    It happened after this was announced!!
    Dont jailbreak!!!!!!
    Un Jailbreak now!!

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

If jailbreaking is illegal now, what will happen with the iPhone Dev Team and for us people who want a jailbroken iPhone?

I'm asking because I heard the iPhone Dev Team doesn't like doing anything illegal, due to the actions they take to not include BL's with quickpwn and pwnage tool and other things they to the software.

I don't understand how people are comparing a car to an iPhone, I sorta understand but think of this way, when you buy a car it doesn't come with any agreements by the company, where as when you bought the iPhone it did come with agreements saying what you can and can't do. All I can say is if you don't agree Apple agreements then you shouldn't have bought the iPhone.
    Anyway JAILBREAKING FTW!!!!
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 02-14-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Dear Steve Jobs,

Go **** yourself.

Thanks

I'm having a hard time expressing my sentiments about this without getting an infraction...

This is BULL. Not only because it is the owner's device and they can do whatever they want with it, but WE made the App Store. WE innovated a ton of things Apple then introduced after seeing OUR ingenuity and ideas.

We being the jailbreak community. Without us (pre-2.x) hackers, there would be no App Store, no sick games, nothing for the most part. We'd be on a 2.x.x that would be more like a 1.1.7/8. Suck one, Apple, for not realizing that...
    Respect your elders.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by agent005 View Post
    Cracked Apps FTL

EDIT- To above user boe_dye, before you tear me apart, yes I realize that you can do good and bad with the same thing. Apple just wants to protect developers. Yes, they should know that by creating an app it CAN be cracked. Yes, I know a lot of people want the added functions of theming, of self-made ringtones, of voice navigation. Yes, we have the ABILITY to crack apps. Like I have the ability to download Photoshop for free. It's the choices you make, as you said. But more and more people are making the choice to steal from developers. I think that's wrong, but I also know not everyone is doing it.

I jailbroke simply for theming. And the NES emulator back in 1.1 days with my iPod Touch. I know a lot of people on here made that choice too. But now, people know you can crack apps. That is, in my opinion, why Apple now claims jailbreaking as illegal.

It only takes a few to ruin it for the rest of us. And now Apple is trying to ruin it for the rest of us with an ounce of morality.

It wasn't so much of the person's post that set me off, it was the fact that there are so many people who sign up on a forum for the sole purpose to say one thing, and that one thing tends to be a baseless accusation towards thing that they have no clue about.

It was like this one review I read in the Appstore, one person mentioned that they wish the app could background.

And then another reviewer commented on it saying that "backgrounding is against the rules."

It's like people are sitting so smug that they are good little soldiers who just want to sit in the boat, and not make waves.

Those are the same people that took role in school when there was a substitute teacher present, and then reminded the sub that they were supposed to have a test that day.

Peoples perogative like that is "don't rock the boat if your sitting in it".

Mine is "don't rock the boat unless your prepared to swim".

I agree to a point that people who are downing cracked apps may have a bit to do with it.

However, he's something to think about, when you download an app from the appstore, you are agreeing to an EULA. That's EULA prevents me from cracking and copying the app and so forth. That is contract law.

However if I download something from another source, I am not signing or agreeing to an EULA, and because I am not, I am not obligated underneath that contract. The person who cracked it is. The person who posted it is, not me.

Never the less, the object of the discussion is not the morality of downing cracked apps.

Apple is not stupid enough to say that Jailbreaking is illegal because of cracked apps. They know better. You don't get to be a multi-billion dollar company by being stupid.

You cannot tell a person what they can and cannot do with their phone once it has been bought and paid for.

Technically speaking they are using the same argument that the RIAA uses when it comes to CD's. You don't "own" anything, you are merely licensing from the record label, and because of that you don't have the authority to copy and do with it as you please.

In the end, your comment doesn't bother me as much as it is a thought out statement.

Your's give a plausible and intelligent cause, the other person simply wanted to point fingers and accuse.

They probably don't even have a jailbroken phone, and probably only wanted to throw their half cent thought into something that they don't fully understand.

It's like the people who keep saying that bittorrents should be illegal cause, and i quote (mostly from comcast users), "those damn pirates are bogging down our connection so they can download their pirated movies/music/software"

They don't get that alot of people want their stuff to be downed, and that you can down linux, as well as CC music and movies, and that this method is a form of distribution to advertise their stuff without having a website.

They also don't get that both comcast and verizon, are both guilty of throttling everyone just so that every other year or so they can push out the latest and greatest speeds in the internets.

It's how they can justify 50 dollars a month for 3 megs down and 512 megs up.

Still, back on topic, Apple can want all they want, but that doesn't mean they are going to get.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

iPhone? More like MyPhone andygev35's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nictoo2 View Post
    My jailbroken ipod touch wont turn on!!!!!
    It happened after this was announced!!
    Dont jailbreak!!!!!!
    Un Jailbreak now!!
    Has nothing to do with jailbreaking... from what I've read, you likely had an unauthorized version of MySMS installed... That's the risk you take.
    Last edited by andygev35; 02-14-2009 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post

I don't understand how people are comparing a car to an iPhone, I sorta understand but think of this way, when you buy a car it doesn't come with any agreements by the company, where as when you bought the iPhone it did come with agreements saying what you can and can't do. All I can say is if you don't agree Apple agreements then you shouldn't have bought the iPhone.
    Anyway JAILBREAKING FTW!!!!
    That's not entirely true.

It's not necessarily from the manufacturer, but from the state in which the car is registerd. Vehicular license is a contract with you and the state to drive a car. As is getting a car registered. In some states, and in PA which is where I am at, I can buy a car from the factory however it is that they sell it. However if i do something as say, tint the driver and passenger side window, that is illegal in PA. But if I buy it from the dealer that way as a factory spec, then they can't say anything.

Technically speaking, in PA, doing anything to a vehicle that is not a OEM repair could be considered "illegal" because it changes certain dynamics of the car that make it "safe", and if someone really wanted to push the issue if they got into a wreck with someone who had a modded car, that person could be held liable because they were driving an unsafe vehicle that is considered no road worthy.

Yes, those vehicles pass inspection every day, and no, no one cares to enforce it, however there it is.

It's also the same way with modding xbox's. Some states don't allow, while others do. Pretty much for the same reason because the only people who would mod an Xbox are pirates.

Personally I love my softmodded Xbox running XBMC over my 1080i 42 inch LCD and 5.1 surround sound sound theatre listening to SHOUTcast and watching a trippy visualizer.

Nothing pirate about any of that, but there it is none the less.

There was actually a raid a few months back against mod shops that did that sort of thins, selling mod chips and all.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andygev35 View Post
    Has nothing to do with jailbreaking... from what I've read, you likely had an unauthorized version of MySMS installed... That's the risk you take.
    Why would someone have MySMS on an iPod Touch?

Yeah I read on Xsellize as well how the MySMS dev has put some protection in the app so if you run a cracked version of it on your iPhone, it'll give the ALOD. Phew I didn't install it then!
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 02-14-2009 at 03:31 PM.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andygev35 View Post
    I think what he was saying is that now Apple has told him that jailbraking is illegal he can't turn on his iPhone because that would be [strikethrough]breaking Apples rules[/strikethrough] illegal and therefore we shouldn't use our jailbroken phones.

And I'll stop using mine as soon as all of you stop using yours
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

It looks like Apple touched everyones chords with this, not just me. All I can forsee for the future is that we're going follow the same path The Pirate Bay is on in Sweeden. This is not a battle for copyrights and intelectual damages. It is a battle for the freedom of information exchange which the corporation and governments don't have a full hold on yet. Preety soon we will lose that freedom because our politicians are in the pockets of corporation owners. The **** will hit the fan someday and I think it's going to be soon. Too many people are pissed off. The world is at a boiling point.
    Land of the free my ***. You can't even assemble 3+ people in NYC without the permision of the Mayor "Bloomberg". Yes there is a law for that too, infringing on the constitution.
    Haaarrrr Haaarrrr
    I'm a pirate

+ Reply
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast