Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 299

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple Officially Claims Jailbreaking Illegal

  1. #241
    Livin the iPhone Life Chase817's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    1,463
    Thanks
    127
    Thanked 91 Times in 65 Posts

    Aww man...
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

  2. #242
    How the hell can they find out if you jailbreak? and what are they gonna do???

  3. #243
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    951
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 81 Times in 64 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by swedes_hack_iphones View Post
    How the hell can they find out if you jailbreak? and what are they gonna do???
    That's what I wanted to know. Ok, so Apple succeeds and gets jailbreaking to become illegal. Unless you're an idiot and bring your jailbroken phone into at&t or the Apple store, how are they going to find out? And when they do find out, what are they going to do about it? Force me to pay a fine or something? How greedy can you be?

    Apple, how can you possibly treat your customers and, dare I say, fans this way? I love your products, but I hate you!
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

    If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

  4. #244
    Apple trying to DESTROY it customer base in a recession. Well done APPLE see you in bankruptcy

  5. #245
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    People are making a scene, because last I checked, MMi doesn't support illegal activities. And if this holds up, MMi becomes a pirate site or says bye bye.
    or just move the server to another country...

    one where america laws don't apply...

    like China for example.

    Hell, do what isohunt did, and move the server to Canada.

    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    But that's also why most people DO have Windows or a MAC. freeware does not work in the mass market. How many years has Linux been going? How many years have we heard 'this is the year of Linux'?
    You are a (presumably) a programmer. Most of us aren't. Linux will IMHO never gain mass market appeal unless it's in OSX or some other form pushed by a mega corp to give it the sales it needs.

    Much as we love to hate MicroSoft and Apple, if it wasn't for them I don't believe the computer would be as ubiquitous as it is now.

    Just my 2d's worth.
    absolutely correct. Every so often there is a new linux push, and every so often people get all hot and bothered over it thinking that linux is going to topple the market.

    The last one was when Ubuntu became wildly popular. It just so happened that it happened was when I was getting back into computers, and like every other geek out there at one time or another, I wanted to try linux to see if it really would kill MS or Apple.

    And sure enough, it does alot of cool things on hardware older then dirt. Cool things that you still can't do on a PC or Mac, but you can't do the things that everyone else does like sync your iPhone.

    Yes, I know there is WINE, and no it doesn't like iTunes 8, and yes I do play with Sabayon Linux, none of that Ubuntu Crap which is what I started with, and the end result is that the average normal computer user is too lazy to figure out how Windows works. Do you honestly think they feel like figuring out "apt-get" or "entropy"?

    Linux is fun for us who have made windows do everthing that we want, and are too damn cheap or poor to play with OS X.

    Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    apple is upset. i would be too. jailbreaking means apps not in the app store. apple gets a percentage of app store sales. they are entitled to be upset. would you like it if your paycheck was reduced because some other employee was secretly doing some of your work?
    everyone gets so offended when big business complains, but they are entitled to $$ just like anyone else. nothing is free.
    Im gonna call BS on that one.

    1) A good chunk of the developers that are in the appstore started out with free apps on Cydia and Installer.

    2) When you have new articles telling us that some developers have made 6 figures in a year with an app, I find it very hard to believe that anyone is struggling for funding.

    Another iPhone app developer making some serious cash

    (great game btw)

    3) Apple is already making 160 dollars more with the 3g iPhone because they pulled a Kansas City Shuffle with the numbers and made the initial cost cheaper, but the data plan higher.

    IPhone 3G: iPhone 3G's True Price Compared

    So I'm not offended because of any of these reasons, I am offended because a company that during the 1983 Super Bowl said that 1984 wouldn't be like 1984 if you bought their product, and here it is 20 some odd years later, and they are acting just like the "Big Blue" that they fought so hard against.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    That's an over simplification. If you buy an iPhone, try to jailbreak it and in the process end up killing the phone; or do something to kill the phone because it was jailbroken. Who do you think should foot the bill to replace it? Apple? You wouldn't think twice about trying to screw them out of the cost would you...

    Apple is not only trying to protect its revenue, it's trying to protect it's assets. And they have every right to.
    Okay fine, i'll go along with that, however...

    Jailbreaking voids your warranty anyways, therefore what they should do instead of blindly handing out a new/refurbed iPhone to every single person who comes back crying the blues that their phone is bricked because they did something stupid, is that they should keep better tabs and records, and not honor the broken warrenty to those that broke it.

    It really wouldn't even be that hard either. Doing a factory restore, or a recovery does NOT fully wipe away certain modifications. Certain things like if you change the carrier logo, stay with the phone.

    So all they would need to do is plug the phone into their own version of an ODB2 and run a diagnostic. Fill out some paperwork, and then hand over a new phone.

    If it's legit, then give them a new phone. If it's not, have them pay a 40 dollar service charge.
    Last edited by boe_dye; 02-17-2009 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

  6. #246
    Default it s my iphone
    it s my iphone and I use it how i want to, use it how i want to, use it how i want to
    you would have to if.

  7. #247
    Quote Originally Posted by Real_Iphonecrazy View Post
    I can half see your point but on the other hand if I buy a PC and change the operating system or install some software not made by the manufactures of the PC/PC components and the graphics card, memory, motherboard failed I'd still expect the warranty to be valid, I should be able to run whatever software I want on my PC or iPhone I paid for it. And the components of both should be covered by there warrantys.
    Not true.

    If you purchase a PC for anywhere that whether it be Dell, or HP, or eMachine, anytime you crack open the case you automatically void the warranty.

    That's why they have that shiny little sticker on the seam of the case and the cover.

    You can load up whatever software you want, they expect that, but because the normal consumer isn't intelligent enough to know the difference between RAM and a CPU, they figure it's just best to say "take it to an authorized repair center".

    Remember building your own, and buying your own is a separate issue

    ...And because of that we have the saying "hardware hacking, how to have Phun while VOIDING your warranty".

    Quote Originally Posted by swedes_hack_iphones View Post
    How the hell can they find out if you jailbreak? and what are they gonna do???
    act like the RIAA.

    Sue old woman, and children and printers and corpses...

    Go "Woe is me, I'm a poor little rich kid".

    As far as finding out? That's not hard. Update to the latest iTunes, send out an update to your device in the update that sends information back to them. Kind of like windows OBE registration.

    It really wouldn't be all that hard. Same way how they embedded Safari as part of their update package and how many people updated not knowing fully well what they were getting into.

    You gotta remember, how many people just jailbreak their phone cause it's the cool hip thing to do. There are thousands of people who really have no clue, and don't think about reading anything as far as TuTs or forums, or whatever.

    They just blindly point and click, and do whatever the happy trustworthy box tells them to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    Apple trying to DESTROY it customer base in a recession. Well done APPLE see you in bankruptcy
    doubtful.

    Not when you can substantiate a company by selling what they would consider a low end laptop for 2000 dollars.

    Besides, the whole illegal jailbreaking only affects people like you and me and Steve Wozniak.

    Steve Jobs isn't going to lose sleep over a few hackers and crackers compared to the multimillions he's made on the normal population.

    Remember, there was no Jailbreaking when iPhone launched. No appstore, no cydia, no anything. It was just the iPhone and the Apple brand name, and lines of people eagerly awaiting outside of stores the nite before launch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Except for that pesky little 5 year contract they have with AT&T.
    i missed that one, what 5 year contract are you referring too?
    Last edited by boe_dye; 02-17-2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

  8. #248
    Quote Originally Posted by boe_dye View Post
    i missed that one, what 5 year contract are you referring too?
    AT&T has exclusive U.S. distribution rights for five years - according to AT&T eager to wield its iWeapon - USATODAY.com
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

    boe_dye (02-18-2009)

  10. #249
    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    AT&T has exclusive U.S. distribution rights for five years - according to AT&T eager to wield its iWeapon - USATODAY.com
    Clever Clever.

    i did not know that.

    So basically from a sales perspective they essentially made it super desireable to everyone else, and when that five years is up they can create a monopoly on it.

    interesting.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

  11. #250
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by boe_dye View Post
    Clever Clever.

    i did not know that.

    So basically from a sales perspective they essentially made it super desireable to everyone else, and when that five years is up they can create a monopoly on it.

    interesting.
    I am sure they will sign on with another company later too... a cut of all of the monthly contract fees is nicer than just selling units at a flat price. Exclusivity also makes these phone companies more willing to hand over a larger percentage of their monthly income too.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  12. #251
    Just my 2P worth..
    Jailbreak breaks the Apple T & Cs..
    That tho does not make it unlawful (illegal is a sick bird ;-))

    In OZ and NZ I belive the iPhone can't be locked to one network because that breaks local competition laws....

    And in Eu I don't know even thought I live there. But seriously, unless you take your device in for service (or accidentally 'UPGRADE' haha) by iTunes WTF can they do..

    Apple and Micro$oft are as bad as each other.
    Apple do make really cool devices but then screw up by locking it down (like the bluetooth etc.. which is being worked on also..)

    Oh well..

  13. #252
    Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 111 Times in 94 Posts

    Why are people getting so angry over Apple claiming that jailbreaking is illegal, it was illegal a year ago aswell, if anybody read the iPhone software agreements, they would have realized. Like I said in the beginning of this thread,the only reason Apple has brought this up now is because of the amount of crackers and people using cracked apps. Mainly due to Cr*ckul**s and Inst*l***s!!! I use them sometimes, if it weren't for Inst*l***s, I wouldn't have bought some of the apps of App Store anyway.

    I blame Apple for making the apps soooo easy to crack, even I figured out how to crack them before Cra**ul**s were released. Since jailbreaking is the key to installing crack apps, Apple must be really angry!

    MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

  14. #253
    bring it on i say ^^ , i dont live in the us and i have 2.2.1 jailbroken iphone and we dont have an apple center in our country but we do have a law every phone must be unlocked because we pay every month for the service (Lebanon ^^)

  15. #254
    Actually, Jaibreaking is not in and of it's self illegal, now it MAY void you warranty; however, I think there could be a legitimate case made that it doesn't. Again, back to the car analogy, if you change the radio in your car and your transmission goes out, the dealer can't say that the warranty is invalid because you changed the radio, they can say that the radio is no longer under their warranty (unless they did the work of course).

    The same with Jailbreaking, I think it would be up to Apple to prove that the Jailbreaking was the source of the problem before denying warranty service.

    With Jailbreaking, you are not illegally copying anything (you are using Firmware Downloads, which are freely available from Apple directly for free). All you are doing is modifying firmware, which resides on your computer with software, which has also been made freely available by the Dev Team or other sources.

    Now downloading of Firmware that has already been modified may be questionable, as that is firmware that you didn't modify on your own computer.

  16. #255
    Quote Originally Posted by €hr!$ View Post
    i love your products, but i hate you!
    qft
    Really?

  17. #256
    cool now i get a rush every time i turn my screen on in public.

  18. #257
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by boe_dye View Post
    i missed that one, what 5 year contract are you referring too?
    Apple & AT&T signed a 5 year deal for AT&T to be the exclusive carrier of the iPhone [in the US], and Apple in return gets kickbacks on the data charges.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  19. #258
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Apple & AT&T signed a 5 year deal for AT&T to be the exclusive carrier of the iPhone [in the US], and Apple in return gets kickbacks on the data charges.
    I knew about the kickback with the data plan, however I never knew that there was any type of time period contract with that.

    Quote Originally Posted by sullivan0930 View Post
    cool now i get a rush every time i turn my screen on in public.
    lmao!
    Last edited by boe_dye; 02-18-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

  20. #259
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I just want to add one additional point. Saying something is prohibited in the T&C does not make enforceable. It's no different than signing a homeowners agreement in a gated community. There are a ton of things in those agreements that are not enforceable in court. There only purpose is to curb behavior. I honestly think Apple knows that they will have a hard fight and would possibly lose the battle over jailbreaking. This is likely the reason they have turned a cheek to it for so long.

  21. #260
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    All Apple can do is Take away the App Store, that’s fine with me makes for more underground apps to play anyway even though some are starting to charge as well, so either way we get screwed when it come to apps, but as far as me customizing my phone to look and feel the way I want is totally preposterous. As many have said before the Apps in the App store, most of them are overpriced and are not good Apps at all. Apple just wants to have a Monopoly over everything, like Microsoft does, don’t they realize if they stop trying to restrict things there would be no reason for people to hack their phones and software? I mean its common sense lol.
    Last edited by IPhone_Man4u; 02-18-2009 at 04:56 PM.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •