+ Reply
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Officially Claims Jailbreaking Illegal

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by prodigy I do believe Richard Stallman had the best idea of all. Software should be free for everyone to modify and distribute so that anyone trying to
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy View Post
    I do believe Richard Stallman had the best idea of all. Software should be free for everyone to modify and distribute so that anyone trying to learn how to use it can view the source code and have no problems sharing info. Linux and GNU have it the best and that's why I don't own a Mac and I don't need to use Windows.
    But that's also why most people DO have Windows or a MAC. freeware does not work in the mass market. How many years has Linux been going? How many years have we heard 'this is the year of Linux'?
    You are a (presumably) a programmer. Most of us aren't. Linux will IMHO never gain mass market appeal unless it's in OSX or some other form pushed by a mega corp to give it the sales it needs.

Much as we love to hate MicroSoft and Apple, if it wasn't for them I don't believe the computer would be as ubiquitous as it is now.

Just my 2d's worth.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    all i have to say is that it is my phone and i have the legal right to do what i damn well please with it. i took ownership when i signed the receipt at the apple counter.

what are they gunna do confiscate our phones, sue every iphone owner

and as for the legality of it... we may b reverse engineering their software but it is for personal use also even the people who distribute the hacked software cannot be touched because they arent selling it
    i couldnt have said it better myself. its not an iPhone, its myPhone!

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

apple is upset. i would be too. jailbreaking means apps not in the app store. apple gets a percentage of app store sales. they are entitled to be upset. would you like it if your paycheck was reduced because some other employee was secretly doing some of your work?
    everyone gets so offended when big business complains, but they are entitled to $$ just like anyone else. nothing is free.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MusicBlood17 View Post
    Another thing is, if Apple embraced Jailbreaking they could begin selling iPhones at Tmobile and other companies which would make them even more money. I personally dont feel like paying $400 or $500 for an iPhone on eBay. I'd rather apple quit being kids about this and just embrace jailbreaking.
    Except for that pesky little 5 year contract they have with AT&T.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

im laughing. people dont have food in this world and you guys are making a scene out of this?

who cares, let them feel a little special and think that this will change things. Theyre like a little kid, agree with what they say and they will shut the heck up, just dont abide to what they say its the thought of them thinking that they have power that matters hahahaha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ivel View Post
    im laughing. people dont have food in this world and you guys are making a scene out of this?

who cares, let them feel a little special and think that this will change things. Theyre like a little kid, agree with what they say and they will shut the heck up, just dont abide to what they say its the thought of them thinking that they have power that matters hahahaha
    People are making a scene, because last I checked, MMi doesn't support illegal activities. And if this holds up, MMi becomes a pirate site or says bye bye.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    apple is upset. i would be too. jailbreaking means apps not in the app store. apple gets a percentage of app store sales. they are entitled to be upset. would you like it if your paycheck was reduced because some other employee was secretly doing some of your work?
    everyone gets so offended when big business complains, but they are entitled to $$ just like anyone else. nothing is free.
    Well then Apple should come out with the apps that we have been begging for.... for the last two years......

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

Apple is just being greedy if you ask me, they're still making a **** load of $$ and is open to 3rd party apps just so long as they make a quick buck off it as well...they really need to shut up about some apps here some apps there

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Well, Apple and other dev's only try to make money

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyScottie View Post
    Apple is just being greedy if you ask me, they're still making a **** load of $$ and is open to 3rd party apps just so long as they make a quick buck off it as well...they really need to shut up about some apps here some apps there
    That's an over simplification. If you buy an iPhone, try to jailbreak it and in the process end up killing the phone; or do something to kill the phone because it was jailbroken. Who do you think should foot the bill to replace it? Apple? You wouldn't think twice about trying to screw them out of the cost would you...

Apple is not only trying to protect its revenue, it's trying to protect it's assets. And they have every right to.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    if they dont like it they should make them unjailbreakable...oh wait they cant. They just need to put up with it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Real_Iphonecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks

In this case possesion its 9/10ths wait no its 10/10ths of the law. My iPhone in my possesion.

P.S. This is just in response to EFF and only to be expected really, one last ditch effort by Apple. They weren't just going to do nothing. They had the choice to ignore The EFF's antics or respond to it and they have to be seen to be protecting there trademarks, otherwise they become diluted and harder to enforce.
    Last edited by Real_Iphonecrazy; 02-17-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    That's an over simplification. If you buy an iPhone, try to jailbreak it and in the process end up killing the phone; or do something to kill the phone because it was jailbroken. Who do you think should foot the bill to replace it? Apple? You wouldn't think twice about trying to screw them out of the cost would you...

Apple is not only trying to protect its revenue, it's trying to protect it's assets. And they have every right to.
    I feel jailbreaking the phone should result in an immediate void of warranty so like you said, people cant blame apple.But to make it illegal i think is a bit over the top.

Green Apple
    Thanks

the only reason i can see them changing their opinion is because now you can download apps that cost money in the appstore for free. Thats probably where the problem is. They didnt care when it was jailbroken and people wrote apps because no one was losing money.

Thanks

I feel jailbreaking the phone should result in an immediate void of warranty so like you said, people cant blame apple
    So if the plastic back case cracked as reported by many, or some other defect or failure should not be covered by the warranty if it had at sometime been jailbroke. B*l*x

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Real_Iphonecrazy View Post
    So if the plastic back case cracked as reported by many, or some other defect or failure should not be covered by the warranty if it had at sometime been jailbroke. B*l*x
    like anything you buy...a car, a video game system, laptop. Like a car for example lets say you add an exhaust system, intake, body kit, wheels etc etc etc but then your transmission blows out the dealership is going to look at you and say "well you modified the car" it may not be the cause of the transmission but its knowing what you're getting into by doing such a thing aka voiding your warranty.

Thanks

I can half see your point but on the other hand if I buy a PC and change the operating system or install some software not made by the manufactures of the PC/PC components and the graphics card, memory, motherboard failed I'd still expect the warranty to be valid, I should be able to run whatever software I want on my PC or iPhone I paid for it. And the components of both should be covered by there warrantys.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyScottie View Post
    like anything you buy...a car, a video game system, laptop. Like a car for example lets say you add an exhaust system, intake, body kit, wheels etc etc etc but then your transmission blows out the dealership is going to look at you and say "well you modified the car" it may not be the cause of the transmission but its knowing what you're getting into by doing such a thing aka voiding your warranty.
    Actually in this example the Car Manufacturer would still have to honor the warranty (at least in California). Now, if it was directly related, that is where they MIGHT be able to get out of honoring the warranty.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c1ockwerk View Post
    the only reason i can see them changing their opinion is because now you can download apps that cost money in the appstore for free. Thats probably where the problem is. They didnt care when it was jailbroken and people wrote apps because no one was losing money.
    I agree that must be a motivation for this. If I as an independent developer produce an app and sell it through the appstore, I'd be mighty pissed to see it cracked and redistributed for free in the jailbreaking community.

Thanks

Exclamation Back at you...
    This is senseless... The iPhone is like any other computer in the sense that their is third party software written for it and just like in the desktop computer world their will always be piracy in software its one of the trade offs of having the internet... So its unfair to blame free software hackers and other people for piracy. Its like trying to blame Linux or other free software communities for all the software piracy going on in the world...
    If you pay $xxx for your device or what ever you buy you should be able to do what ever the --- pleases you to do with it, just like if you buy a hamburger you should be able to eat it when ever you want or toss it shob it up wherever it pleases you best.