+ Reply
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Turn By Turn Voice Navigation on iPhone. Really! Not a Rumor!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
This is great for all 3G owners but all of us 2G owners are left in the cold. Is there something similiar for 2G users or is that impossible since
    Thanks

This is great for all 3G owners but all of us 2G owners are left in the cold. Is there something similiar for 2G users or is that impossible since Edge is too slow compared to 3G?

Makes me wish I would have gotten a 3G when I had a chance to upgrade my 2G!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Looks awesome!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

2.2.1 - Will try later

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ninthchamber99 View Post
    This is great for all 3G owners but all of us 2G owners are left in the cold. Is there something similiar for 2G users or is that impossible since Edge is too slow compared to 3G?

Makes me wish I would have gotten a 3G when I had a chance to upgrade my 2G!!
    The maps can, I believe, be downloaded for the whole trip over WiFi before you set out. If you need further maps while you are out Edge would probably work - but Edge is sloooowwww.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone andygev35's Avatar
    Thanks

Edge works fine with respect to loading maps while rolling (comparable, or maybe even slightly better than Maps.app), however, the current version available via Cydia has a lot of trouble generating a route using your current position as the point of origin. If you have a start and destination address, it works fine. The major advantage to this app is the auto-rotation feature, which always keeps your direction of travel facing up on the screen.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Sweetness! I'm happy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    The maps can, I believe, be downloaded for the whole trip over WiFi before you set out. If you need further maps while you are out Edge would probably work - but Edge is sloooowwww.
    Yeah, your right. I just upgraded and jailbroke my phone to 2.2 (I was on 1.1.4 for the longest time) about 1 1/2 months ago. The maps app. does it, but it is not a true turn by turn like this xGPS showed. I bet the voice feature is nice. I wanted to know if something like this was currently/future development was being done for the 2G.

But if not, something is better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by andygev35 View Post
    Edge works fine with respect to loading maps while rolling (comparable, or maybe even slightly better than Maps.app), however, the current version available via Cydia has a lot of trouble generating a route using your current position as the point of origin. If you have a start and destination address, it works fine. The major advantage to this app is the auto-rotation feature, which always keeps your direction of travel facing up on the screen.
    Bottom line, I have a 2G phone. Can I download this app. via cydia, right now, and it work? I understand that there are some bugs, like the one you mentioned above and the voice command saying words wrong or they are misspelled, I can deal with these minor bugs but overall will this work on my 2G phone if I download the app. right now?
    Last edited by ninthchamber99; 02-11-2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Where can you pick up the GPS module he has plugged in? That would make this work for us 2G users, correct?
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    Where can you pick up the GPS module he has plugged in? That would make this work for us 2G users, correct?
    I thought the module he has plugged in is only needed for ipod touch users only? I really want this feature but I need to know if it will work before I add it to my phone. Thanks!!
    Last edited by ninthchamber99; 02-11-2009 at 08:34 AM.

Thanks

I thought the module he has plugged in is only needed for ipod touch users only?
    The 2G doesn't have true GPS though, so I'd imagine 2G users would need it too.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz

Thanks

Default GPS Unit
    OrangeGadgets.com is the xGPS official GPS Provider.

The GPS Unit they offer will work on all iPhones (even 3G iyou are unhappy with the provided one) and iPod Touch.
    -Thomas-
    xGPS Moderator
    xGPS Website

http://www.tomheben.com

My iPhone is a Part of Me Zehlek's Avatar
    Thanks

Are any specific settings you need to have it set on for it too work?

Thanks

Plug in the external unit, go the xGPS Settings Menu and then to the "GPS" Tab, and set what unit you have plugged in, from OrangeGadgets it is the iGPS360 module. It will then read and function properly with the xGPS Software and iPhone Serial Port. Very Easy.
    -Thomas-
    xGPS Moderator
    xGPS Website

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tomheben For This Useful Post:

Zehlek (02-11-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomheben View Post
    OrangeGadgets.com is the xGPS official GPS Provider.

The GPS Unit they offer will work on all iPhones (even 3G iyou are unhappy with the provided one) and iPod Touch.
    Haha, yeah... I just noticed that on the original post. Thanks for putting the info up again though.

$75 though? Ouch... for the money, I'd probably be better off upgrading to the 3G or buying an actual GPS unit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    The 2G doesn't have true GPS though, so I'd imagine 2G users would need it too.
    True. I did not see/hear him say where he got the module from. Do you by chance know or does anyone know where to get the module from or one similiar to it?

Edit: I did not see the other post about the price point for the module. Your right man!! $75 bucks is a lot. I too just had the thought of upgrading my phone to the 3G. I just dont want to resign another 2year contract.
    Last edited by ninthchamber99; 02-11-2009 at 08:53 AM.

Thanks

True. I did not see/hear him say where he got the module from. Do you by chance know or does anyone know where to get the module from or one similiar to it?
    Post #31 above says OrangeGadgets.com

This is where you could really do with proper BT on the iPhone. I habve 3 BT GPS receivers which I used to use with various WinMo devices before they had GPS built in...
    Last edited by confucious; 02-11-2009 at 08:56 AM.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomheben View Post
    Plug in the external unit, go the xGPS Settings Menu and then to the "GPS" Tab, and set what unit you have plugged in, from OrangeGadgets it is the iGPS360 module. It will then read and function properly with the xGPS Software and iPhone Serial Port. Very Easy.
    Sorry if this is a very stupid question, but do I plug in my iPhone into my Garmin GPS and then it will detect it it and xGPS can use it's settings under the GPS Tab?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madlan View Post
    Anyone get a size mismatch when installing from cydia?
    i also facing this problem..
    my fw is 2.2.1

Thanks

xGPS works with a certain set of GPS Devices. Currently, the supported devices include:

xGPS Module (Not Sold Anymore)
    iGPS360 from OrangeGadgets.com (Official GPS)
    iGPSD from iGPSd (store.igpsd.com)
    iPhone 3G GPS

The iPhone is unable to connect to a Garmin GPS, in no way.

Possibly in the future, with the progress from the iBluetoothProject.com Team, it might allow the iPhone to sync via Bluetooth with a bluetooth enabled GPS.
    -Thomas-
    xGPS Moderator
    xGPS Website

21. The Following User Says Thank You to tomheben For This Useful Post:

Zehlek (02-11-2009)

Thanks

In the mean time, what would you recommend I select? just the iPhone 3G gps then? If iPhone 3G only, will I still be able to use the turn by turn that is coming out?
    Last edited by Zehlek; 02-11-2009 at 09:48 AM.