Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Turn By Turn Voice Navigation on iPhone. Really! Not a Rumor!

As anyone tried this with the 3g's GPS ?

Is the GPS chip good enough and does it manage to keep track?

Thanks

Thanks
    awesome, im on my way to get the xgps360, thanks

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J273 View Post
    As anyone tried this with the 3g's GPS ?

Is the GPS chip good enough and does it manage to keep track?

Thanks
    It keeps track fine for me using the 3G's GPS.

Hey All,

Just downloaded and installed the app...and must say that I am stoked. But on the same note have a question or two that I figured I’d reach out and ask a few of you folks here. Within xGPS there of course are several options, one of which speak to the downloading of maps….but I must say that I’m not sure I see the benefit of downloading maps when I can use the one that are encompassed within google maps….can someone here speak to that…please?

Also I tried setting the “GPS to use” option to that of the “xGPS Module” however when doing so I find that GPS state shows as disconnected. Am I doing something wrong or does that module not work? Either way from what I’ve seen this app is awesome…it rocks….loving it….thank you

I tried the xGPS and it works great, but i noticed one issue: It handles some abbreviations like states -- it will say "Nebraska" instead of "North East" when it sees "NE" in an address. i.e. 103 Cribbs St NE

Green Apple
    Thanks

I used it at least 6 times in the last 24hrs, worked well for me. I found everything I wanted to find. I like how you can tap on the "WRONG WAY" thing when it pops up and it asks you if you want to re route your itinerary(I know its an option for it to auto do that, it's faster touching it}. I like it and it works great for me. The voice I would like to be a hot British girl or something.

iPhone? More like MyPhone aussiebob's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kakemix007 View Post
    I tried the xGPS and it works great, but i noticed one issue: It handles some abbreviations like states -- it will say "Nebraska" instead of "North East" when it sees "NE" in an address. i.e. 103 Cribbs St NE
    It uses text to speech so will speek what is written.
    Make sure you guys download maps using XGPS mamager found on the new web site xGPS Official Website
    I downloaded over 400 mb -took a while for Sydney area and a little further up and down in Australia (around 100 km in all directions) but the wireless transfer to the iphone only took minutes.
    You can blame the Google maps for telling you certain directions as the maps dont seem to be updated in some newer areas -dont blame the program.
    I tried it yesterday and seems to work well.
    Actually found some of the businesses I wanted to visit.
    Should be awsome when the kinks are out of the system.
    My signiture? Whats that...............

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i am still needed a way to use diskaid or ftp to transfer the files to the phone manually. the wireless in the office will not allow me to transfer the file. someone PLEASE HELP

couldn't u transfer them via WinSCP or an equivalent?

Thanks

You have to copy the xGPS_map.db file generated by xGPS Maps Manager into the directory /var/mobile/Library on the iPhone.

this is what i found on their forums.. and i cant do it at work other than by using a data cable. every port is blocked at work for wireless transfers or anything else for that matter...

ok, i got the maps transfered but i can not use the blue button to search for that direction.. i am so lost on this and so many people have issues like me.. on the other hand, people are loving it.. i just want it get it to work dangit!!!

open program, press the search button on the bottom in the middle, driving directions, from current position, i try to search for my home from my work and i get " no driving directions can be computed using your query" but i have 250mb of maps downloaded and my house is right in the middle. so what now?.. edit.. i guess you have to put the address in and then the zip.. like 123 happy street 33484 and it just found it.. yeahh

but what does the signal strength mean when it says poor? if i have full wifi or 3g, why would THAT be poor? before i installed the maps, i went to the gas station today and was testing the mph feature and it kept up somewhat decntly. maybe it was an every 3 seconds update to change the speed. although in mc donalds drive thru i was going 38. hahaha
    Last edited by tha5150; 03-04-2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by shannon.harvey View Post
    Hey All,
    but I must say that I’m not sure I see the benefit of downloading maps when I can use the one that are encompassed within google maps….can someone here speak to that…please?
    You can use it to basically pre-download all the maps for your area so that as you're driving your iPhone hasn't got to be constantly contacting Google Maps to download the next 100m or so of map for the bit you're driving towards

Merging Maps to my desktop and it was stuck at 91% for awhile... Give it time and it will complete. I have drove around a bit and love the turn by voice. Granted like the rest no music while driving On the other hand though I do not have to look at where I am going! It is a compromise that I will gladly deal with.

This is for the developers. If a patch can be made to make the device as loud as you wish then we can use the radio and the iphone maps at the same time. For now I will use it with the aux port on my radio and listen to Stephen Hawkins give me directions. I'll toggle between music and gps as I need directions or music greater. Thank you sooo much for this leap and bound!!!

For users... Download the app, reset your home address and other settings. Sync with the xGPS desktop, then download maps either from your wireless on the iphone or via your desktop. Leave the iphone GPS selected. The others only work if you have them connected to your device. Good Luck

Thanks

Just tried this out today and it worked pretty well.

When driving at highway speeds, it would crash to springboard about every 2 minutes. This may have been because I was driving too fast for it to keep up (75mph+) I turned off logging and night mode and it seemed to help.

A few times it would tell me I was going the wrong way when i was in fact travelling in the correct direction. I attributed this to the fact that the GPS itself had not properly located me. This issue popped up mostly when i first started the app. It settled itself by waiting then having it recalculate your route, or if you have the stock Maps app GPS locate your position first, then opening up xGPS and calculate the route.

Once, the voice said turn left but the words on the screen said to turn right, (turn right was the correct direction).

Its getting better and bettter.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Thanks

yea, i noticed all those things also.. the turning left or right was a small issue.. especially if you really dont know where your going.. right now, i use it to get home, work, mc donalds, etc.. just to use the app ya know? but the gps is a minor issue that needs to be fixed and the voice kinda sucks..

hey, i am NOT dogging this app. i am sure it took alot more than the alot more i think it took to make. lol. cheers to the devs.. but i am sure if will be better and better with future updates

Thanks
    Default Igps
    I just downloaded iGPS on Cydia and now I have a ton of questions. I have a 2G Iphone. I was wondering if I need to buy one of those orange module things. I want a cheaper alternative.

Thanks

There isnt really a cheaper alternative for GPS location on the 2G iPhone. The Orange Gadgets Module is the cheapest External GPS Module set that is offered.
    -Thomas-
    xGPS Moderator
    xGPS Website

http://www.tomheben.com

Well, if you want xGPS to work.... well.... you're gonna need a gps antenna, it's as simple as that. Not sure if an aftermarket gps dongle can be classified as "cheap".

Green Apple
    Thanks

I used xgps again tonight and I will say it worked very well. Crashed a few times but worked really well other than that. I love using night mode, looks great.

And whats all this about downloading the maps for your area? I have never done that and other than crashing a few times tonight the program has been really solid.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    some one can tell me where can i download it? thanks!^^
    email:[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by FamousAmos View Post
    some one can tell me where can i download it? thanks!^^
    email:[email protected]
    Make sure ur iPhone is jailbroken, then download through Cydia. It will be in the MMI repo. xGPS v1.2

More info..
    http://xgpsdev.xwaves.net/
    http://xgps.xwaves.net/

Enjoy
    Last edited by lilskaterpunk; 03-08-2009 at 11:20 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to lilskaterpunk For This Useful Post:

FamousAmos (03-17-2009)

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast