Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Asked Google to Not Use Multi-Touch. Google Said Okay

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,278 Times in 652 Posts

Default Apple Asked Google to Not Use Multi-Touch. Google Said Okay

When the Android G1 came out many were dissapointed from the lack of multi-touch support. The iPhone remains the multi-touch king so to speak in the mobile phone business. Many have speculated over the reasoning behind Android's lack of multi-touch support while others have [ame="http://modmygphone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13341"]added it in themselves[/ame] later. Finally a Venturebeat source on Google's Android team has come clean.

Google has not included multi-touch support in their Android platform because Apple asked them not to.

Apple and Google have a good relationship together. Apple has google as the default search engine in the iPhone browser, has gmail settings pre-programed into the iPhone, Google maps as a default app, etc. Google makes nice apps for the iPhone like Google Sync Beta, Google Earth, and Google Voice and more. Both are competing against Microsoft.

Aside from the good relationship between the two companies Google might have agreed to Apple's request for fear of legal ramifications. Apple has a ton of patents floating around all over the place and does hold patents for the multi-touch technology used in the iPhone. Everyone should know by now that Apple loves to throw their legal weight around when it comes to their intellectual property. Undoubtedly if Apple feels that a competitor's product threatens the iPhone they will be looking for ways to keep their dominanace and a lawsuit is not out of the question. Because of the possible legal implications the Google Android Team member was even relieved that Google chose to not implement multi-touch in the Android platform.

Did Google abandon multi-touch because they are friends with Apple? Did they abandon it out of fear of a lawsuit? Does Google know something else that kept them from adding in multi-touch? Is it simply because Google chief executive Eric Schmidt is on the Apple Board of Directors? Who knows. I think the Palm Pre is in some risk from Apple legal.

[via venturebeat]

Thanks

Ever since that patent, Apple are going to be throwing their weight around when it comes to touch screens.
    I doubt we'll see any more touch screen phones very soon other than by Apple
    Last edited by dale1v; 02-10-2009 at 02:30 AM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

cue the apple fanboy response
    "This is just a good business model"

If you can not beat them then crush them under litigation paperwork.

My iPhone is a Part of Me nycdiplomat's Avatar
    Thanks

i just dont understand how one company can tell another company what they can and cant make just because they use their search engine. doesnt make any sense to me. But nowadays i guess companies do and say alot of things that dont make sense !!!!
    waiting on my iPhone 6+

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    [
    Did Google abandon multi-touch because they are friends with Apple? Did they abandon it out of fear of a lawsuit? Does Google know something else that kept them from adding in multi-touch? Is it simply because Google chief executive Eric Schmidt is on the Apple Board of Directors? Who knows. I think the Palm Pre is in some risk from Apple legal.
    If it was the threat of legal action then Palm would probably have been threatened as well - time will tell - if Palm get taken to court it could be the end of them. I hope not.

Apple have specifically prohibited the development of Turn by Turn navigation with the SDK - I don't believe Apple are developing anything along those lines - could it be they are protecting their friends at Google? I believe their relationship is far closer than most people realise - and probably in the interests of both parties to remain that way.

But I could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    Ever since that patent, Apple are going to be throwing their weight around when it comes to touch screens.
    I hope you mean Multi-Touch not just touch

Quote Originally Posted by nycdiplomat View Post
    i just dont understand how one company can tell another company what they can and cant make just because they use their search engine. doesnt make any sense to me. But nowadays i guess companies do and say alot of things that dont make sense !!!!
    It's all about money. I scratch your back you scratch mine...
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

First of all love the graphic for this thread!

It appears that they are working together if they like it or not and its all working so they don't want to break it. I don't think they abandon it out of fear even though they would have probably loved to have it they just knew better and I don't think they wanted to rock the boat....

Google is a smart company and so is Apple... and I think the both know where they stand with the do's and don'ts......

And....as far as turn by turn.... I think it sucks that the iphone doesn't have it! My son has a blackberry and his has it and I really liked using turn by turn this past week....

"Always remember your special and unique!"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

Stefanradev2v (02-10-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    First of all love the graphic for this thread!

I agree about the graphic as well. Very nice.

I think that Google may not be quite as big as Apple, but would have been okay with battling them in a lawsuit. The only fear they may have had about being sued was the fact that there is just so much red tape and distraction from more important things that comes with going to court, nevermind against another big company.

In every good relationship there are sacrafices...maybe Apple just has Google whipped in this one.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
    I agree about the graphic as well. Very nice.
    I actually hadn't noticed the graphic - observant, aren't I? It is very good

Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
    In every good relationship there are sacrafices...maybe Apple just has Google whipped in this one.
    Or maybe it's just give and take...
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I could care less if another company ever came out with a multi-touch device or not.. the iphone by far is the best touch device i've seen... regardless of what apple will do or not do when it comes to legal matters

but... I wonder if google and apple will ever join in making a new OS for the iphone or a device in the future?

I agree the iPhone is the best device I've seen - but that doesn't stop someone else making something better in future.

If no one else makes multitouch devices then that is less likely and IMHO less competition is not normally good for the consumer.

since i'm pro-Apple/pro-iPhone right now... Too bad for google.
    NOTE: This could probably change if someone found something better though.

Thanks

Why is that a sad thing? Finally Apple will be the one people have to turn to, not Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I agree the iPhone is the best device I've seen - but that doesn't stop someone else making something better in future.

If no one else makes multitouch devices then that is less likely and IMHO less competition is not normally good for the consumer.
    You got that right. Microsoft has been making a substandard piece of crap OS for years now, but who still has the highest market share? Its time Apple had a monopoly of its own.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 02-10-2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Monopolies are rarely a good thing - which is why Microsoft had to bale Apple out a few years back

Thanks

That statement is pretty much a paradox. Why did Microsoft bale them out? Because they had the money. Why did they have the money? Because they had the monopoly. I'd say they owed Apple wouldn't you?

i dont get it. google is mighty powerful too and they just agreed not to use multi-touch. every other mobile maker is making touch screens now and getting better at it. is this just american legal crap that apple is using?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saifeeab View Post
    i dont get it. google is mighty powerful too and they just agreed not to use multi-touch. every other mobile maker is making touch screens now and getting better at it. is this just american legal crap that apple is using?
    They didn't agree, they complied. Apple has the patent on multi-touch mobile devices. They can only be made by other companies with Apple's blessing (and a kickback).

Quote Originally Posted by lighter View Post
    I could care less if another company ever came out with a multi-touch device or not.. the iphone by far is the best touch device i've seen... regardless of what apple will do or not do when it comes to legal matters

but... I wonder if google and apple will ever join in making a new OS for the iphone or a device in the future?

I don't like the idea apple has all this power. To me a comapny should never have to much power because it can stop development with other companies. I like apple but I don't want to be stuck with them forever. I need more variety of good phones.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlos.michell For This Useful Post:

dale1v (02-10-2009), drgopoos (02-10-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Why is that a sad thing? Finally Apple will be the one people have to turn to, not Microsoft.
    I never made any mention of MS. I'm sad because the multi-touch patent Apple have means that it's unlikely that we'll see multitouch on any other device than the iPhone/iPod, not because MS is losing out Multi-touch significantly adds more to an experience (it's not just a novelty) and I'm sort of annoyed that I won't be seeing it on Android because "Apple said so". Open source Android with multitouch would be awesome. Back to the stylus...

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    You got that right. Microsoft has been making a substandard piece of crap OS for years now, but who still has the highest market share? Its time Apple had a monopoly of its own.
    No, sorry, no. If Apple acheive a monopoly, you think that their products will only get better? I certainly don't.
    Last edited by dale1v; 02-10-2009 at 04:25 PM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Thanks

No, sorry, no. If Apple acheive a monopoly, you think that their products will only get better? I certainly don't.
    If Apple achieves a monopoly? They already have it bud. And compared with other companies? I certainly don't think they will get any worse because of their patent standing.

And I mention MS because they are the greatest example of a monopoly in the world. They represent a company that carries a substandard product, with absolutely no compunction to improve it, because well... they don't have to. People have no choice but to use Windows in the business community, and most elsewhere. And MS knows it.

Apple on the other hand holds their products and software to the highest standards. Always have, and most likely always will (as long as Steve is alive).

If the patent were in MS hands, yes I'd be pouting too, but not when its in Apple's hands. So you can say no, sorry, no all you want, its the Windows user in you saying it. You're used to being spoon fed crap so you think that's all other companies can offer you as well. Well, its not.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.michell View Post
    I don't like the idea apple has all this power. To me a comapny should never have to much power because it can stop development with other companies. I like apple but I don't want to be stuck with them forever. I need more variety of good phones.
    The thing is.. apple created this... apple owns it... if you created something why would you want someone else to knock it off... apple has a lot of power sure.. but its power that they created.... so they have a right to it..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast