+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Asked Google to Not Use Multi-Touch. Google Said Okay

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Seems like to me, both companies are willing to take certain setbacks, if it means being ahead of Microsoft. Although, ever watch Survivor? You become allies with the strong people
    Thanks

Seems like to me, both companies are willing to take certain setbacks, if it means being ahead of Microsoft.
    Although,
    ever watch Survivor?
    You become allies with the strong people in the beginning,
    but must get rid of them at some point before the end. =D

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Multi-Touch
    I think the agreement is probably just for the "Multi-Touch" gestures, although I could be wrong. I can't even recall any touch screen cell phone that required just your finger to use. Most required a stylus and many still did until the iPhone.

It's business and neither is in it to lose money or give the competitors any advantage. And just like in cycling it takes teamwork (even if you're not teammates) to get to the top of the mountain.

"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer."

Thanks

Is Apple trying to be the top of multi-touch devices? Google shouldn't have said okay.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Can we say PWNED!?!?
    WOW I usually don't post much on here but DANG! That is some serious PWNership!

Apple+Google = BIGGER AND BETTER THINGS!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    If Apple achieves a monopoly? They already have it bud. And compared with other companies? I certainly don't think they will get any worse because of their patent standing.

And I mention MS because they are the greatest example of a monopoly in the world. They represent a company that carries a substandard product, with absolutely no compunction to improve it, because well... they don't have to. People have no choice but to use Windows in the business community, and most elsewhere. And MS knows it.

Apple on the other hand holds their products and software to the highest standards. Always have, and most likely always will (as long as Steve is alive).

If the patent were in MS hands, yes I'd be pouting too, but not when its in Apple's hands. So you can say no, sorry, no all you want, its the Windows user in you saying it. You're used to being spoon fed crap so you think that's all other companies can offer you as well. Well, its not.
    The Apple fanboy in you is saying that.
    Monopoly isn't great, even if it's Apple, even if it's Google, even if it's Microsoft, because if nobody is there to defy Apple, they won't add funtionnalities (hello ? copy paste, multitasking with appstore ?) because people will buy their products just for some features they've patented (headphone remote via jack ... I would love this on other phones !) while de device will still miss these features.

Highest standards ? No, Apple's software quality is going down, face it. MobileMe, iPhone OS 2.0 (not stable at all), Leopard 10.5.0, that wasn't really high quality compared to what we were used to. What you said for Microsoft that doesn't have to make better quality products just applies for the iPhone, thanks to the armada of patents.

By the way, Microsoft is willing to make their OS better. Not having to ? Really ? They why do they feel the need to release Seven quickly ? Because nobody buys Vista in the entreprises.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dream_Team For This Useful Post:

dale1v (02-11-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

If Apple achieves a monopoly? They already have it bud. And compared with other companies? I certainly don't think they will get any worse because of their patent standing.

And I mention MS because they are the greatest example of a monopoly in the world. They represent a company that carries a substandard product, with absolutely no compunction to improve it, because well... they don't have to. People have no choice but to use Windows in the business community, and most elsewhere. And MS knows it.

Apple on the other hand holds their products and software to the highest standards. Always have, and most likely always will (as long as Steve is alive).

If the patent were in MS hands, yes I'd be pouting too, but not when its in Apple's hands. So you can say no, sorry, no all you want, its the Windows user in you saying it. You're used to being spoon fed crap so you think that's all other companies can offer you as well. Well, its not.
    let's argue more about what Apple will do with a monopoly please. It amuses me.

I seriously laughed almost to the point of tears reading your remarks. A+ for amusement!

On a side note... if it is deemed a legal monopoly it will be dealt with... I have no doubt of that. Tiny companies like psystar are already taking Apple on for their bullsh*t EULA's and winning. If they are a wonderful company making wonderful products they have no reason to fear other companies by locking them out. Apple's legal tactics are coming to light more and more. They will get burned sooner or later.

Also, a large reason MS has such a large market share is because they allow their OS to be installed on any system the user desires. Apple sees that people want this of their own OS and still stops them...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 02-11-2009 at 02:36 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

dale1v (02-11-2009)

Thanks

The first iPhone release: Apple wanted to make a good impression, made a good quality phone with few problems, and most problems (dropped calls, etc) were dependent on the network provider.
    With the second iPhone release we see a different set of problems more specific to the build quality of the phone itself: cracking backplastic, dust getting under the screen, the yellow screen issue (resolved), etc...

I don't know if I'm the only one, but in my opinion, the iPhone 3G was worse in terms of build quality than the 2.5G, and it's probably because Apple saw their success with the first iPhone and tried to increase profits with the second one by cutting manufacturing costs.

Why are you jumping to the conclusion that because I use Windows, I am somewhat attached to it and only think in the "Windows way"? Monopolies aren't good for any market, and in my previous post I was referring to Android (by Google) as an example.

An economic assumption of a monopoly is that there will be lack of innovation within the business (e.g. they will start to spoonfeed crap). In an economic sense, If Apple gain a monopoly you'll see less innovation (and more crap) from Apple. You say that Apple already have a monopoly, and that they already have the highest standards, but looking at previous products by Apple, they just don't go together.
    Last edited by dale1v; 02-11-2009 at 06:39 AM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Can we drop the silly monopoly talk? It's very obvious what Apple would do with one. I'm going to guess they'll begin small. Assuming they own the orange and red properties (controlling free parking, obviously) they'll begin with 2 houses this year to create a steady income. Microsoft already had Boardwalk and Park Plaza with hotels, but that's only 2 properties and easy to avoid and after their little rundown with a go straight to jail spot, they had to take it down to a couple of houses too.

So right now all we can do is wait and hope Apple doesn't roll 3 doubles in a row.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

Go straight to Jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200

That was awful...

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

well we all know by now that Apple is run by a bunch of power hungry nazis who dont seem to care much about the consumer.The only reason our iPhone is the king of multi-touch is because of situations just like this 1.Apple confronts the company prior to the phone being released or hell even mass-produced.

Thanks

Apple hold a patent - do you think they should not defend it?
    Maybe then they could lose money and go bankrupt - is that what you want?
    They maybe 'power hungry' which is why they are still in business, but nazis? I haven't noticed too many swastikas on their products
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

Eurisko (02-12-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Apple hold a patent - do you think they should not defend it?
    Maybe then they could lose money and go bankrupt - is that what you want?
    They maybe 'power hungry' which is why they are still in business, but nazis? I haven't noticed too many swastikas on their products
    Nazis not to be taken literally, just a play on words.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyScottie View Post
    Nazis not to be taken literally, just a play on words.
    Don't worry -I never take anything seriously (and am always surprised when people take anything I say seriously)

Thanks

Is it surprising every negative rebuttal to my comments come from Windows users... not to me. Yes, I'm an Apple "fanboy" if you like applying immature labels to things.

If you feel Apple is failing in so many aspects, why are you using Apple products? Get rid of them and stop whining. I know MS is substandard and therefore I don't use anything that MS makes. At least I stick stick to my principles.

Laugh all you want, it's falling on deaf ears.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 02-12-2009 at 06:18 AM.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

Is it surprising every negative rebuttal to my comments come from Windows users... not to me. Yes, I'm an Apple "fanboy" if you like applying immature labels to things.

If you feel Apple is failing in so many aspects, why are you using Apple products? Get rid of them and stop whining. I know MS is substandard and therefore I don't use anything that MS makes. At least I stick stick to my principles.

Laugh all you want, it's falling on deaf ears.
    Probably because most of us Windows users who also use iPhones don't care who makes what - we just want the best (for our needs - not necessarily yours) made by whoever.

One company stopping others using technology is not normally good for consumers (ie us, as opposed to fanboys who will take whatever is given to them).

The iPhone is IMHO the best smartphone on the market bay far - but it has its faults, competition means choice which makes people strive to be better.

JMHO

Thanks

Probably because most of us Windows users who also use iPhones don't care who makes what - we just want the best (for our needs - not necessarily yours) made by whoever.

One company stopping others using technology is not normally good for consumers (ie us, as opposed to fanboys who will take whatever is given to them).

The iPhone is IMHO the best smartphone on the market bay far - but it has its faults, competition means choice which makes people strive to be better.

JMHO
    Ah, so people who don't b*tch about the products they use are demoted to fanboys right? Very adult. Another useless merry-go-round conversation.

Thanks

Yes, I'm an Apple "fanboy"
    Ah, so people who don't b*tch about the products they use are demoted to fanboys right? Very adult. Another useless merry-go-round conversation.
    I was only quoting you!

Thanks

I was only quoting you!
    You'll note I put fanboy in quotes because it was a label given to me by someone else. Personally I think the term is idiotic.

And you weren't quoting me, you were implying that I, and presumably anyone else, who "takes whatever is given to them" is a fanboy. Believe it or not, most people don't complain about the products they use, they simply move on to a better product.

These people remind me of many Rogers customers who whine and complain about the horrible service they get, yet the monthly payments keep coming in. A definite Type B personality.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Enough with the trolling in this thread. Apple sucks. Microsoft sucks. Linux sucks. [what I use] is better than [what you use].

This isn't the thread for this.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

Default Back to the original subject...
    Apples claims might not be as wartertight as we thought...

Who owns Multi-touch patents?

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12