Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Sync Beta Arrives on iPhone

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

Default Google Sync Beta Arrives on iPhone

Syncing the iPhone can be inconvenient. You have to plug in the phone etc etc etc to make sure your contacts and calendars are backed up. If you're like me you get caught with new contacts and calendars on your iPhone, forget to sync to the computer, and then lose them all on a restore (presumably after you ****** up with some sort of modding).

To date probably the simplest way around this problem is the mac solution of MobileMe which syncs your contacts and calendars over-the-air to your account and then to your computer. The problem? MobileMe costs some $$$.

Enter the Google. Something super simple, uses the iPhone's built in functionality (no extra app needed), and best of all Free.

Features
    • Synchronize your contacts. Get your Google contacts quickly and easily to your iPhone. With Sync, you can have access to your address book at anytime and place that you need it.
    • Get calendar alerts. Using your iPhone's native calendar, you can now access multiple Google calendars, and be alerted for upcoming appointments with sound or vibration.
    • Always in sync. Your calendar and contacts stay synchronized whether you access them from your iPhone or from your computer. Add or edit contacts or calendar entries right on your device or on your Google account on the web.

To get everything set up and going just follow Google's simple instructions to prepare your data on Google, and then to setup your iPhone. Bam. Done. Simple. Syncd. Free.

beware all your contacts and calendars currently on your phone will be replaced while getting set up

oh and Google made a video about it

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (02-09-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Thanks

GREAT! Sounds like something i am going to start using. I wonder if they can sync mail too? That would be great also. Thanks for the info.
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!

sounds interesting but i doubt i will do it yet.. maybe in the future

Setting it up now.
    @JAG2621 "Mail synchronization is not supported at this time. If you try to turn on this setting, you'll get an error message every time you open the Mail application on your iPhone. It's best to keep Mail synchronization turned off for now."
    Looks like they're working on mail sync, but for now you can just set up your Gmail account in the mail app.
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

Cool!

I don't get how a "mail sync" would work anyway. The Mail app already handles Gmail IMAP with the ability to add at least one label to email.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

That is so awesome! no more nuevasync!! straight to gmail, Thatd be nice if they got email too

Quote Originally Posted by Pcpro745 View Post
    That is so awesome! no more nuevasync!! straight to gmail, Thatd be nice if they got email too
    Can someone please explain how "email sync" would work? I keep seeing this, but doesn't IMAP do what you guys want? Or do you want a full-featured cached Gmail client for iPhone?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

IMAP does do what we want but were looking for full fledged PUSH email from Gmail

Quote Originally Posted by Pcpro745 View Post
    IMAP does do what we want but were looking for full fledged PUSH email from Gmail
    Oh yeah, duh, Push. I don't use Push to save battery, so I forgot about that lol.

Thanks

This is great for us - but surely not so good for the whole Android platform. Is this not what makes Android unique?
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks
    The only thing I dont like is i can't figure out how to do seperate calenders like outlook does. its fast on the upload just like mobleme.

looks pretty cool. i don't typically use google calendar, but do have it syncing with ical just in case. perhaps i'll get rid of that sync and have my iphone take care of it for me.

i also have quite a few contacts in gmail that i don't have in my iphone because they are unnecessary. it sounds like i'd either have to delete them or have them sync.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

And ive just shelled out for friggin mobileme
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

luv it. just set it up and it works like a charm. I never used my gmail contacts either. lots of cool features i just imported my outlook contacts to it and man it is nice. everything syncs perfectly, you can have groups. Can't wait til they bring e-mail support!

Thanks
    I thought this would only sync your main calendar but, after some reading, you have to go to http://m.google.com/sync from your phone (PC browser redirects to another page) and check all the calendars you want to sync.
    Last edited by Rober; 02-09-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rober View Post
    Meh. This is alright but so far, nuevasync is better. I have a lot of calendars I've created and subscribed to; google's service only syncs your main calendar.

I'm sure they'll be fixing this though as it is google and everything is always in beta. I will be a happy man when I don't have to use third party systems.
    I thought Google Sync would sync up to 5 calendars?

BTW, Pocket Informant's Google sync will sync an unlimited number of calendars.

Welcome to WebIS.net - Pocket Informant iPhone

Any Updates? - WebIS, Inc. Forums

Not for me, all my contacts are quite fine on the phone and computer at home, if its gonna erase all my contacts on the phone, instead of a strait way to upload contacts, this is not for me then. they need to sort that out first

but for now > negative
    EXPERIENCE FROM THE PAST | TECHNOLOGY FOR THE FUTURE

Sweet been looking for this from the start!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Will View Post
    I thought Google Sync would sync up to 5 calendars?

BTW, Pocket Informant's Google sync will sync an unlimited number of calendars.

Welcome to WebIS.net - Pocket Informant iPhone

Any Updates? - WebIS, Inc. Forums

It will do 5 cal. Just have to set it up to do it. Go to help in your Cal. and it will tell you how to do it.
    Last edited by alphagrizz; 02-09-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    beware all your contacts and calendars currently on your phone will be replaced while getting set up
    ..what? how could this possibly be useful if it deletes all the numbers in my phone on the first use?? this has to be incorrect.

edit: just checked. Google instructs you to back up all your contacts to their service before doing this, as it does infact delete all contacts since it uses Exchange to achieve the sync.

Use the instructions below to back up your contacts via iTunes to Gmail BEFORE setting your phone up for sync.

Contacts Upload via iTunes (PC) - Mobile Help
    Last edited by reanimationxp; 02-09-2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Only problem with this is that it uses Microsoft Exchange to sync. If you already have an Exchange account set up, you can't set up a second one. Until Google Sync supports push e-mail, I'll continue to use Nuvasync for calendars, Sync-in-a-Blink for contacts, and forward my e-mails to mail2web for Gmail push notification.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast