+ Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Sync Beta Arrives on iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by esmandau MobileMe beats it all the way, For only $69.99 A Year You Get... - Aliases (TOP FEATURE FOR ME) - Photo Management Web Based (Superior like
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by esmandau View Post
    MobileMe beats it all the way,
    For only $69.99 A Year You Get...

- Aliases (TOP FEATURE FOR ME)
    - Photo Management Web Based (Superior like no other)
    - iDisk
    - Bookmark Syncing.... OMFG.... Does GMail PRovide it?
    - iCal
    - Mail
    - Manage Ext. eMails
    - WebSite Management.... For that price only?

Are you sure something like that will be better than @Me? Just because its free?

better say you can't afford it. its ok.
    The only way MobileMe beats it is easy of set up.

Photo Management? You can use Picasa Web Albums or Flickr for free. iDisk? Use Dropbox, 2GB for free and syncs perfectly with Mac, Windows and Linux. iCal...with CalDAV you can sync GCal with iCal easily, plus GCal is a great web app, much better than MobileMe. Mail, you can set up GMail IMAP to work with it, takes a few tweaks to get it working right though. Bookmark syncing, not as good, but you can use something like Delicious to store them in the cloud or use a Firefox extension to keep browsers in sync.

The other thing is that MobileMe is slow.

Cost is an issue for me so I am willing to take the extra time setting up a free solution.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iChopPryde's Avatar
    Thanks

Can someone write a tutorial or link a tutorial on how to use these free options to be like Mobile me I want to cancel my account to save money but want to still use the macs default programs like Address Book, Mail and iCal, and iDisk I see theres options for all this also Foxmarks is now available on Safari so you can keep Safari synced as well

Can someone give me links to all the above to make me have a free mobile me experience.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

this is great, been using it for a week now but i ran into a problem.

it's strictly aesthetics, but i previously had my contacts caller id photo coming up full screen. now, i'm assuming because it's pulling from my google sync contacts, the picture shows up in the top right and incredibly small.

anyone know of a fix for this?

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

If your contact photo is sync from outlook/exchange/google/not-directly-from-your-phone then you'll get the small picture next to the name.

You only get full screen on contacts you edit/add the photo on the phone itself, though I'm not sure it sync both ways and stays full screen.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I like it and use it or my calendar. It doesn't sync contact groups though. I tried and it got rid of all my groups. Had to re-group all my contacts. I'll wait till they support groups. Otherwise it's a solid addition

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jeffwo's Avatar
    Thanks

Guess I screwed this up somewhere along the line.

Seems I have lost all my contacts.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffwo View Post
    Guess I screwed this up somewhere along the line.

Seems I have lost all my contacts.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.
    Restore from your backup.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T-Will View Post
    Restore from your backup.
    Can someone explain how to do this?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Can someone explain how to do this?
    You had to follow the instructions on backing up your data. Maybe there's some other way to restore, but I don't know other than the method Google recommends.

Google Mobile - Sync
    During Sync setup, the iPhone will delete your contacts and calendar information. Please back up your data:
    PC instructions - Mac instructions.

Thanks

You had to follow the instructions on backing up your data. Maybe there's some other way to restore, but I don't know other than the method Google recommends.

Google Mobile - Sync
    During Sync setup, the iPhone will delete your contacts and calendar information. Please back up your data:
    PC instructions - Mac instructions.
    I thought I was backing up to iTunes as I went thru the process?

I had my contacts backed up on Outlook but now I can't figure out how to get back to Outlook to get them back on the phone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I thought I was backing up to iTunes as I went thru the process?

I had my contacts backed up on Outlook but now I can't figure out how to get back to Outlook to get them back on the phone.
    If they're all in Outlook, then you should be in good shape, try following these instructions: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...489021033.aspx

What do you mean you can't figure out how to get back to Outlook? Can't you just open Outlook?

Thanks

If they're all in Outlook, then you should be in good shape, try following these instructions: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...489021033.aspx

What do you mean you can't figure out how to get back to Outlook? Can't you just open Outlook?
    Yeah, I can open Outlook but in iTunes where you configure your contacts sync (under INFO/CONTACTS) it now is locked into "Your contacts are now being synced to your iPhone over the air with Microsoft Exchange" (Over-the-air settings can be changed on your iPhone)

So, they didn't get synced overthe air or evidently didn't get synced with iTunes as I went thru this process.

Anyway, if I can get back to syncing with Outlook I will be satisfied. I have 220 contacts. I gotta get em back...quick!

....try following these instructions: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...489021033.aspx
    Notes

Outlook Contacts without an e-mail address are not imported.
    99% of mine don't have email addresses with them.
    Last edited by Jeffwo; 02-20-2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

On your iPhone disable the Exchange sync for contacts, then iTunes should allow you to sync with Outlook again. Make sure to backup your Outlook contacts before doing this in case iTunes does something funky during the resync.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to T-Will For This Useful Post:

Jeffwo (02-20-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Sounds gd

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ttt

TaQ
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Google Loves!

Thanks

hello all. i just set up google sync for my calendar. so i only have the calendar option turned on and push, fetch set to manual. so it only syncs when i open up calendar. i have no other email accounts or anything set up. well my battery completely drains over nite now, it goes through 50% like nothing. before i was able to go through 2 days fine. any ideas on what's going on? iphone is less than a year old, 2nd generation, 2.2 fw. thanks.
    iPhone 4 / 4.3.1 / redsn0w

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danno2022 View Post
    hello all. i just set up google sync for my calendar. so i only have the calendar option turned on and push, fetch set to manual. so it only syncs when i open up calendar. i have no other email accounts or anything set up. well my battery completely drains over nite now, it goes through 50% like nothing. before i was able to go through 2 days fine. any ideas on what's going on? iphone is less than a year old, 2nd generation, 2.2 fw. thanks.
    It should have very little effect on battery. Are you seeing the spinning ring in the title bar for a long amount of time? Does it ever go away? The ring should only show for the few seconds it takes to sync. Mine typically takes 10-20 seconds over EDGE and much less over WiFi.

Thanks

It should have very little effect on battery. Are you seeing the spinning ring in the title bar for a long amount of time? Does it ever go away? The ring should only show for the few seconds it takes to sync. Mine typically takes 10-20 seconds over EDGE and much less over WiFi.
    when i open calendar it only spins a few seconds to update any changes then goes away. so nothing weird going on there.
    iPhone 4 / 4.3.1 / redsn0w

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danno2022 View Post
    when i open calendar it only spins a few seconds to update any changes then goes away. so nothing weird going on there.
    Try disabling the Google calendar sync and see if it still drains as much overnight.