Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Sync Beta Arrives on iPhone

I have been pondering what to do here for a while. I currently have an exchange accound with my university but I will be graduating in may.... mobile me was at the top of my list but now this seems rather enticing. I really would like push email too though. and this whole crappy google contacts management issue worries me too..... argh...choices.... I just want to keep my exchange it works perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by laz305 View Post
    wow that was scary when I followed the instructions afterwords I had no contacts, I know it warns you twice but I expected to be able to sync my contacts back but there wasn't. Be sure to back up your Library/AddressBook folder before doing this especially the AddressBookImages.sqlitedb file.
    Yeah, when I enabled Google Sync in iTunes to get my Outlook contacts over to Google, I actually had to sync twice before anything got moved over. Then I've had a bit of trouble losing contact info. I've just been manually entering any missing data for now.

But warning to everyone, MANUALLY BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA (LOCAL AND GOOGLE DATA) before attempting this.

is the image showing a possible iPhone Nano?

Quote Originally Posted by musaidrj View Post
    is the image showing a possible iPhone Nano?
    LOL, it does only have 2 rows of icons.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,277 Times in 652 Posts

Haha " google reveals existance of iPhone nano"

I set this up. I do my contacts and calendar in Outlook. The small sync utility works to push calendar changes in Outlook to Google Calendar, then pushed to the iPhone. Sweet. No such ability appears to exist for contacts (i.e. Outlook to Google).

Quote Originally Posted by rustyhoge View Post
    I set this up. I do my contacts and calendar in Outlook. The small sync utility works to push calendar changes in Outlook to Google Calendar, then pushed to the iPhone. Sweet. No such ability appears to exist for contacts (i.e. Outlook to Google).
    It looks like there are 3rd-party apps that do it, but I haven't tried any of those.

I wonder if you could now setup Outlook Contacts to point to Google's "Exchange" server?

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    And ive just shelled out for friggin mobileme
    i'm with this guy... Its great and all but its 2 WEEKS LATE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lajcik View Post
    Now how about syncing birthdays and contact pictures and also not trashing my contact list with all the picked up email addresses, thank you.
    Birthdays Beta is an app you may want to look at. It reminds you of all the birthdays in your contact list without taking up all of the space on your calender.
    Last edited by BenzoHartt; 02-10-2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoHartt View Post
    i'm with this guy... Its great and all but its 2 WEEKS LATE!!!!

Birthdays Beta is an app you may want to look at. It reminds you of all the birthdays in your contact list without taking up all of the space on your calender.
    I just found a program called FriendSync that syncs your Facebook contact pics, names, and birthdays to your contact list. It looks pretty good, but requires 2.2.1 (I'm still on plain old 2.2).

i was about ready to do all of this... but i think i've changed my mind until some updates are made. i have way more contacts in my address book/iphone than i do in gmail and i don't want to go back through 500 contacts and fix any errors that occurred.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Love the idea but I will also wait for more updates. The 4-phone field restriction sealed it for me.

Hmmmm... I have a mail2web account (so I can use email push), so I already have a Microsoft Exchange mail account configured on my iPhone, when I attempt to set up another MS Exchange account the phone pops up an error "Only one Exchange ActiveSync account can be configured." Seriously?! Only one account? I guess this means either I have to drop my mail2web account, or not sync my google contacts on the fly? sounds stupid to me... anyone else run into this problem?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j.eck.art.3d View Post
    Hmmmm... I have a mail2web account (so I can use email push), so I already have a Microsoft Exchange mail account configured on my iPhone, when I attempt to set up another MS Exchange account the phone pops up an error "Only one Exchange ActiveSync account can be configured." Seriously?! Only one account? I guess this means either I have to drop my mail2web account, or not sync my google contacts on the fly? sounds stupid to me... anyone else run into this problem?
    It's no problem. Only one Exchange account at a time. Thank Apple

I dont know nothin bout this crap but i know 'kylecchh'.

LOL Nemussync guy sounds like he is quite tired:

from NemusSync - sync between google and iPhone

Notice

Finally google mobile sync os out.
    NemusSync WILL NOT BE UPDATED ANY MORE.
    Wed Feb 11 23:00:09 KST 2009
    - SangWook Han

and Google just bought the tech from Microsoft rather than build it themselves. LOL, when you have the money, why not spend it?

Google Obtained Patent License from Microsoft for Exchange ActiveSync Protocol - SlashPhone

Finally, I *was* using Nuevasync (they are sticking around, btw) to sync calendars, with all of the same limitations of Google Sync. (Both use Exchange tech). So, there's no problem switching for me.

Mobile Me? No. Apple has enough of my money (which I do have), I just don't need all of the other stuff.

Contacts? I have been a very happy Sync in a Blink (THANK GOD I DIDN'T UPDATE TO THE "EVERYBODY'S FRENCH!!" VERSION!) user. I'll leave it on there. Why not?

Over all, Google Sync rocks. Thanks, Google.

now..... when do we all start getting location/contact/calendar keyword-based ads on our iphones? That's what I'm REALLY scared of.

OneRing2Rule
    Last edited by OneRing2Rule; 02-11-2009 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If I've helped you or even just made you laugh, hit Thanks. Every time you do, an iPhone gets jailbroken. FREE THE iPHONES!!!

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Just set mine up... I love it... fast and easy!

i set this up, and it causes the dataaccessd process to take up like 60-80% of my iPhone's CPU at all times. the phone heats up and the battery drains FAST. must be a bug in the exchange server implementation google is using (which makes sense, since apparently they just licensed code from microsoft). strangely, i didn't have this problem with nemussync! anyone else seeing this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by sagarp View Post
    i set this up, and it causes the dataaccessd process to take up like 60-80% of my iPhone's CPU at all times. the phone heats up and the battery drains FAST. must be a bug in the exchange server implementation google is using (which makes sense, since apparently they just licensed code from microsoft). strangely, i didn't have this problem with nemussync! anyone else seeing this problem?
    Mine's jailbroken and I don't have that problem. I don't even notice any negative affect on battery life. I wonder if data is corrupt so it's constantly trying to grab/receive data from Google?

When in Calendar/Contacts are you seeing the little rotating data access ring in the title bar? That should only show when it's syncing then go away.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Will View Post
    Mine's jailbroken and I don't have that problem. I don't even notice any negative affect on battery life. I wonder if data is corrupt so it's constantly trying to grab/receive data from Google?

When in Calendar/Contacts are you seeing the little rotating data access ring in the title bar? That should only show when it's syncing then go away.
    ah hah, it seems that dataaccessd only takes up so much CPU when it's trying to sync my contacts. when i view the contacts, the rotating ring spins indefinitely (or rather, as long as i waited).

Quote Originally Posted by sagarp View Post
    ah hah, it seems that dataaccessd only takes up so much CPU when it's trying to sync my contacts. when i view the contacts, the rotating ring spins indefinitely (or rather, as long as i waited).
    I only get the spinning thing for a few seconds after making a change, so maybe you just have a lot of contacts, or something is corrupted with your contacts?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast