+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Sync Beta Arrives on iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
here's backup instructions for mac: Contacts Upload via iTunes (Mac) - Mobile Help
    Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

here's backup instructions for mac:

Contacts Upload via iTunes (Mac) - Mobile Help
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

iPhone? More like MyPhone andygev35's Avatar
    Thanks

EDIT: I use NemusSync for calendars, not NuvaSync

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Interesting. OK, someone please walk me through this.

Currently I sync Outlook/iPhone with iTunes. I've never setup any Google/PC/iPhone contact sync before. Yes to Google calendar sync (PC is always the master)

How will this new Google sync integrate with the 3 Google/Outlook/iPhone)?
    If I'm reading correctly, Google to/from iPhone is Push.... then iPhone to Outlook remains the same (with iTunes/Outlook sync?)

Outlook is my primary source .... and should remain that way (I think)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Looks great, I'll try it out.

Most Google products are worth trying.
    mod edit/links removed

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

MobileMe beats it all the way,
    For only $69.99 A Year You Get...

- Aliases (TOP FEATURE FOR ME)
    - Photo Management Web Based (Superior like no other)
    - iDisk
    - Bookmark Syncing.... OMFG.... Does GMail PRovide it?
    - iCal
    - Mail
    - Manage Ext. eMails
    - WebSite Management.... For that price only?

Are you sure something like that will be better than @Me? Just because its free?

better say you can't afford it. its ok.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by esmandau View Post
    better say you can't afford it. its ok.
    That's cool but for those of us who just want calendar and contacts (which google does better than anything else, for free) it's nice to know that we now don't have to go out of the way to get over-the-air sync. For free. Should I ever want a bunch of things besides those two things, I'll give me.com a look. But for the most part, I've already integrated myself pretty well to Google. I use Picasa for picture management and my own personal website for storage, so I don't really need @me even though I could afford it.

But go ahead and keep making stupid generalizations of the people who will use this.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

sn0ws (02-09-2009), zedeff (02-10-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default ZybSync
    I'd personally rather just go with the free ZybSync that's been available on AppStore forever. It's free and fast. Won't delete your contacts either. Just click Sync and it does it over Edge/3G quickly.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by w0by View Post
    I'd personally rather just go with the free ZybSync that's been available on AppStore forever. It's free and fast. Won't delete your contacts either. Just click Sync and it does it over Edge/3G quickly.
    Deleting when starting to and stopping sync from an exchange account is just a security feature. If a work phone under exchange is lost they can just cancel the account and when the phone can't sync it deletes all info on it. This is a pretty good thing to have.

For the consumer all it means is that you need to spend maybe 10 minutes backing your contacts once, migrating them to google, and then never having to worry about it again. Even if you switch to another phone, you can just re-sync and have everything as you had it before.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone drtybrd61's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    ..what? how could this possibly be useful if it deletes all the numbers in my phone on the first use?? this has to be incorrect.

edit: just checked. Google instructs you to back up all your contacts to their service before doing this, as it does infact delete all contacts since it uses Exchange to achieve the sync.

Use the instructions below to back up your contacts via iTunes to Gmail BEFORE setting your phone up for sync.

Contacts Upload via iTunes (PC) - Mobile Help

its actually the way the iPhone does sync. i deletes all the information (contacts, calenders, etc) currently on your phone. i'm pretty sure that its not google that's deleting your info.

btw, has anyone figured out how to, if possible, control the color of your calendars?
    Last edited by drtybrd61; 02-09-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

this would be great if I could get outlook to also sync my contacts and calendar (google calendar sync only does one calendar)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Now how about syncing birthdays and contact pictures and also not trashing my contact list with all the picked up email addresses, thank you.

iPhone? More like MyPhone skizo's Avatar
    Thanks

1. Why the heck do companies always make these things go one way? My phone is far more up-to-date than my email account. Why can't I update my email acct with my phone??

2. Why can't this be done with a wire? Not everyone needs/uses wifi. :/

iPhone? More like MyPhone iChopPryde's Avatar
    Thanks

OK this might be a dumb question but I have a few I really want to use this I am a current user of Mobile me but this seems to do the exact same thing I use a mac and I still want to be able to use iCal and Mail that is already installed I was reading further that when I have to back up my contacts it won't save the pictures I put for all my contacts. So basically these are my questions if anyone can help.

1. Will I still be able to use Address Book, iCal and Mail to do my work and will it then sync it to google then to my phone and vice versa?

2. When I upload my contacts to google will I have to add pictures to all my contacts again or is there some easy way to get them back on?

3. I tried uploading my contacts from address book by exporting when I try to upload on google it says loading but it did that for over half an hour I am assuming it doesn't recognize the Mac way of saving files its more designed for outlook is there anyway I can do this easily?

4. How good is this so far cause I am a little nervous to do this as I don't want to lose my data or get my info all messed up causing me to have to start over!

5. I can do this anywhere from wifi, Edge or 3G correct?

iPhone? More like MyPhone matt.superman's Avatar
    Thanks

well i tried this and it seems to be alright but it doesnt update my contacts on gmail.
    You must submit to testing before I can assist you.

Thanks

I only get one of my 6 calendars (one for each of my subjects at school). how come?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Tried it and it works like a charm for the Calendar function. However, Contacts is a whole different story - can't believe Google actually expects people to regress on functionality (rather - lack thereof) - their Contact app is abysmal! Can't believe that Google would do such a shoddy job on a key application.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbuster View Post
    I only get one of my 6 calendars (one for each of my subjects at school). how come?
    You have to set it up to add additional calendars and as of right now, it'll only do 5 calendars because it is beta. I hear it'll be unlimited calendars once it's out of beta. From your phone, go to m.google.com/sync, go to settings, and then you'll see a list of your calendars with checkboxes next to them. Obviously, check up to five boxes. (As with any Exchange account, Apple automatically color codes them in the order they are listed so the colors generally don't match Google's Calendars. This is on Apple's end, not Google)
    I think it's misleading of how it says it deletes your Contacts. Basically the first time, you Backup/Sync through iTunes your contacts with Google (select the Merge function). Now your Contacts from your iPhone are the same as your Google Contacts. When you set up Google Sync, it erases and refreshes your Contact list as with any Exchange account. As long as you synced your contacts with Google, your Contact list should not have changed at all.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khoon View Post
    Tried it and it works like a charm for the Calendar function. However, Contacts is a whole different story - can't believe Google actually expects people to regress on functionality (rather - lack thereof) - their Contact app is abysmal! Can't believe that Google would do such a shoddy job on a key application.
    I agree. And the initial sync was horrible for me. I went from 400 Outlook contacts to now having 600 total contacts. In addition, many of my regularly used contacts lost phone numbers and other info, so I'm having to manually go into Outlook and copy and paste the data into Contacts. Also, the limitations are pretty weak.

BTW, I followed the Google Contact sync instructions exactly.

iPhone? More like MyPhone andygev35's Avatar
    Thanks

I suppose it's a good thing this is still in Beta... More work to be done...

Thanks

wow that was scary when I followed the instructions afterwords I had no contacts, I know it warns you twice but I expected to be able to sync my contacts back but there wasn't. Be sure to back up your Library/AddressBook folder before doing this especially the AddressBookImages.sqlitedb file.