+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Carrier Update = AT&T MicroCell Coming Soon

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
An iPhone Carrier Settings Update was pushed out by iTunes recently. What's in it? Among carrier images for some new carriers like the UAE's Emirates (iPhone should be coming to
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Default iPhone Carrier Update = AT&T MicroCell Coming Soon

An iPhone Carrier Settings Update was pushed out by iTunes recently. What's in it? Among carrier images for some new carriers like the UAE's Emirates (iPhone should be coming to them in a week or so), carrier images for AT&T's MicroCell (site under maintenance at time of story writing) service are now included. MicroCell is essentially a tiny cell tower which gets 3G signal from broadband internet.

(image from MobileCrunch)

Here's AT&T's description of MicroCell:

AT&T 3G MicroCell acts like a mini cellular tower in your home or small business environment. It connects to AT&T's network via your existing broadband internet service (such as DSL or cable) and is designed to support up to 10 3G capable wireless phones in a home or small business setting. With AT&T 3G MicroCell, you receive improved cellular signal performance for both voice calls and cellular data applications, like picture messaging and surfing the web for up to 4 simultaneous users.
    Pricing and release date have not been released for the MicroCell. An AT&T spokesperson told ModMyi only that "we have not yet announced this product." Sprint and Verizon (both CDMA providers, not GSM like AT&T) have similar devices - the AIRAVE by Sprint and Verizon's Network Extender. Sprint charges only $99 for the box, but adds a $4.99 monthly fee. Verizon charges a one-time $249 fee for the box. The MicroCell will allow for full 3G UMTS voice AND data.

Commercial devices for extending your cell reception can often run $300-600, so neither of these prices are too bad. We'll see how AT&T competes.

tuaw

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

Rescuer (02-07-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

idk man... thats a good bit of money to just get better signal, arent we giving att enough?

Thanks

Does this update effect any of our software for changing carrier strings like mim or is it just adding new carriers to apples list

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    Does this update effect any of our software for changing carrier strings like mim or is it just adding new carriers to apples list
    no. mim still works

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gameviper For This Useful Post:

JStraitiff (02-07-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    hmmm. so we shell out more money towards an iPhone that already has a hundred dollar plan just o get coverage in an area where there is supposed to be coverage in the first place? AT-T phail.
    -btung

i gotz this whole coding thing down

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Or... no network is perfect, and instead of saying "too bad fools, move out of the boonies or get thinner walls," carriers offer an alternative as well.

iPhone? More like MyPhone itsjustlenny's Avatar
    Thanks

im not sure i understand. so you pay more money to use your dsl line as a 3g?? eff that. if im at home i'll stick to my wifi. wtf is the point of this?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Think of it this way - you have an office in a building. You have 10 employees. You need your phones, but you're deep in some concrete building, and AT&T hasn't actually BUILT A TOWER inside your building (how rude of them). Reception is spotty at best. You buy one of these for $100 or 250 or 300 or wtvr it costs, and hook it up to your router. Suddenly, all your employees have full bars.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Why is it that everyone here is always pissed off? AT&T is offering an optional solution and suddenly it becomes a shooting range. If you all feel so raped by your carrier, switch.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ghandioncesaid For This Useful Post:

Gyngabread Man (02-07-2009), JStraitiff (02-07-2009), Kyle Matthews (02-07-2009), rxmxsh (02-07-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ghandioncesaid View Post
    Why is it that everyone here is always pissed off?
    Because they are losers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone imilad's Avatar
    Thanks

Does this affect people who are on T-Mobile... Can I do this update without loosing my yellowsn0w

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imilad View Post
    Does this affect people who are on T-Mobile... Can I do this update without loosing my yellowsn0w
    yes

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gameviper For This Useful Post:

imilad (02-07-2009)

Thanks

What if you take one of these "mini towers" to another country....
    it does work off of wi-fi... so .... oversees att coverage? haha

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

might be wrong forum to post this sorry, but I did the update for Carrier APN via Itunes, well now I cant change my carrier logo anymore, I have the new ATT logo from Boss but now its gone, anyone have any idea how to fix, sorry again if this is in the wrong forum
    ------------------------------

iPhone 4
    4.1 Firmware

Thanks

I have actually been waiting for this.

the cell coverage inside my home sucks and it's not good enough to talk on.

I have a normal AT&T landline that I pay $40~ a month for, and the only time I use it is when somebody calls my cell phone, I answer it and tell them that I'll call on my landline. Or sometimes I forward my calls to the landline.

but if I had perfect cell coverage, I would be able to cancel my landline and save that $40 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by itsjustlenny View Post
    im not sure i understand. so you pay more money to use your dsl line as a 3g?? eff that. if im at home i'll stick to my wifi. wtf is the point of this?
    Details on AT&T's 3G MicroCell: everything but the date and price - Engadget

What is an AT&T 3G MicroCell™?

AT&T 3G MicroCell acts like a mini cellular tower in your home or small business environment. It connects to AT&T's network via your existing broadband internet service (such as DSL or cable) and is designed to support up to 10 3G capable wireless phones in a home or small business setting. With AT&T 3G MicroCell, you receive improved cellular signal performance for both voice calls and cellular data applications, like picture messaging and surfing the web for up to 4 simultaneous users.

Device Features:

* Enhanced coverage indoors - supports both voice and data up to 5000 square feet.
    * Available unlimited minute plans - Individual or Family Plan.
    * 3G handset compatible - works with any AT&T 3G Phone.
    * Up to 4 simultaneous voice or data users supported.
    * Device is secure - cannot be accessed by unauthorized users, easy and secure online management of device settings
    * Seamless call hand-over - start calls on your 3G MicroCell and continue uninterrupted even if you leave the building.

Quote Originally Posted by shaharyar View Post
    What if you take one of these "mini towers" to another country....
    it does work off of wi-fi... so .... oversees att coverage? haha
    AppleInsider | AT&T's 3G MicroCell to patch iPhone dead zones
    "The device's location must be registered with AT&T to verify that it lies within the company's authorized service area, so it won't work overseas or in states where AT&T isn't licensed to supply mobile phone service."

Last edited by Rescuer; 02-07-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dallasnights View Post
    might be wrong forum to post this sorry, but I did the update for Carrier APN via Itunes, well now I cant change my carrier logo anymore, I have the new ATT logo from Boss but now its gone, anyone have any idea how to fix, sorry again if this is in the wrong forum

see i had a feeling that it would screw up somthing like this

as for fixing it i couldnt begin to tell you but if you try mim you can still change the string

sorry

Green Apple
    Thanks

What is the difference between this and regular wifi?

Banned
    Thanks

I didn't get the carrier update.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

" you receive improved cellular signal performance for both voice calls" I think this is what most people are missing. Improved data is obviously pointless if you already have cable/dsl, but if you have less than perfect cellular signal at your house/office, this is a great option. Having full bars at home (where i currently struggle to keep 1 or 2) for voice calls would be worth 2-300$ imo.

And no it's not the carriers fault, no carrier has good coverage right where i'm at.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goronok View Post
    " you receive improved cellular signal performance for both voice calls" I think this is what most people are missing. Improved data is obviously pointless if you already have cable/dsl, but if you have less than perfect cellular signal at your house/office, this is a great option. Having full bars at home (where i currently struggle to keep 1 or 2) for voice calls would be worth 2-300$ imo.
    exactly. If I dump my $40/month landline when this comes out, it'll pay itself off in only a few months time.