Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Carrier Update = AT&T MicroCell Coming Soon

Quote Originally Posted by perezinthenet View Post
    What is the difference between this and regular wifi?
    You pay an additional monthly fee to your buddies over at AT&T.

this comes up on iTunes every time i open it but have been afraid to do the upgrade because i don't want it to mess anything up

Default uk
    nothing in the uk yet,
    my iphone hasn't asked for any updates

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    Pricing and release date have not been released for the MicroCell. An AT&T spokesperson told ModMyi only that "we have not yet announced this product." Sprint and Verizon (both CDMA providers, not GSM like AT&T) have similar devices - the AIRAVE by Sprint and Verizon's Network Extender. Sprint charges only $99 for the box, but adds a $4.99 monthly fee. Verizon charges a one-time $249 fee for the box. The MicroCell will allow for full 3G UMTS voice AND data.
    There is a big miss in this section. The first carrier to offer this service was T-Mobile with their @Home service (a GSM provider like AT&T). They offered their UMTS router (a modified Linksys that hardware handshakes with the phone) for $100. They then offered a $10 @Home plan (for calls). The $10/month add-on was unlimited minutes on the UMTS connection, including if you started a call on UMTS then handed off to a cell tower it remained as a UMTS call. As an added bonus, UMTS could be used from ANY WiFi Access Point, not just their particular router.

This was particularly interesting when T-Mobile owned the HotSpot network, as you were able to start calls at any HotSpot location (Starbucks) for Free. You also didn't have to pay for the HotSpot service to use it with UMTS.

Good to know, but we really need more info.

Will get only if its free otherwise not worth it. I pay 110 dollars for a plan already. Eff that

Quote Originally Posted by DuRo View Post
    Will get only if its free otherwise not worth it. I pay 110 dollars for a plan already. Eff that
    I pay 21 for 900mins or 1800 texts or 900 MMS or any combination of the three (2 texts = 1 min or 1MMS) and up to 3Gb of HSDPA data tethered or not (but Not VOIP)

What on earth do you pay $110 for?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

would this essentially be a VOIP service or would we still be using our minutes as is part of our plan. I would be more than willing to pay something like $5 a month if it was a VOIP deal because I am usually at home when I take a call. I can bump my minutes package down and add this instead. If all it does is improve cell reception, I already have full bars everywhere I go.. no need to pay extra money for such a service in my home :P

Quote Originally Posted by PorthosPirate View Post
    There is a big miss in this section. The first carrier to offer this service was T-Mobile with their @Home service (a GSM provider like AT&T). They offered their UMTS router (a modified Linksys that hardware handshakes with the phone) for $100. They then offered a $10 @Home plan (for calls). The $10/month add-on was unlimited minutes on the UMTS connection, including if you started a call on UMTS then handed off to a cell tower it remained as a UMTS call. As an added bonus, UMTS could be used from ANY WiFi Access Point, not just their particular router.

This was particularly interesting when T-Mobile owned the HotSpot network, as you were able to start calls at any HotSpot location (Starbucks) for Free. You also didn't have to pay for the HotSpot service to use it with UMTS.
    I have a tmo @home servie and at 10 bucks a month I think it is great. I no longer am with TMO for anything but their VOIP services. If ATT's service is similar to TMOs I will swith in a heartbeat, especially if I can transfer to cell towers like we could with TMO

What is the difference between this and regular wifi?
    Wifi is only data wheras this allows you to make calls as well.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 02-08-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

I believe this is just an extension antennae so you get full 3G signal - nothing to do with VOIP - just a signal booster, which many will appreciate.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PorthosPirate View Post

Correct, but you had to have a phone which was @Home enabled.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I believe this is just an extension antennae so you get full 3G signal - nothing to do with VOIP - just a signal booster, which many will appreciate.
    If this is anything like TMO @home service it is exactly VOIP, the difference is you will be using your iPhone as the handset. Also (if it is like TMO's service) you will not be charged for those minutes that you use, which would be GREAT!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

This seems pretty cool, this will work with all phones though, not just an iphone right?

ever since the update i cant change my att and 3g/edge icons any more it is stuck on the att stock one. Any advise?

Quote Originally Posted by illcaptive View Post
    ever since the update i cant change my att and 3g/edge icons any more it is stuck on the att stock one. Any advise?
    try changing them manually or with winterboard other than that just wait for everyone to update their software i would try make it mine

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

Lightbulb no fee's
    if you dont want to pay any monthly fee's just get a wireless extenders zBoost box. It works great in my condo's garage. A few friends have them working at home. (rock solid) They are around 300 bucks or less on *bay etc.

Wireless Extenders - Home
    (supports 3G too)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

This seems pretty cool, this will work with all phones though, not just an iphone right?
    Right. Any AT&T phone.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

I wish it were going to be like tmo's @home but don't think they would give us the free minutes. I really love my iPhones and our service but Att sure does make you pay. Tmo has the most ridiculously cheap plans, but their service is garbage!

From what I gather it is not like T-Mob's @home which, as you say, is a VOIP service. This is a 3G extender service which is like having a 3G mast - it just boosts the 3G signal in areas where you can't get a decent signal.

Thanks

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/0...ne-dead-zones/

Does a really good job explaining this. I can see having to pay for the device but a monthly fee would be ridiculous. Why should we have to pay for a device AND a monthly fee for that device. Also, I wonder if we will have to register our phones with the device or will everyone within range be able to connect to it?
    Last edited by sziklassy; 02-09-2009 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    will everyone within range be able to connect to it?
    Sounds good - all you need to do is persuade your neighbour to buy one

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast