+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Office for iPhone in a week?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Dataviz , well-known for their Palm OS software, are promising to bring MS Office editing to the iPhone via their new app, DocumentsToGo. The app will be demoed at the
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Default Microsoft Office for iPhone in a week?

Dataviz, well-known for their Palm OS software, are promising to bring MS Office editing to the iPhone via their new app, DocumentsToGo. The app will be demoed at the Mobile World Congress which runs February 16-19 in Barcelona. The app will also run on Android.

Pricing information has not been released, but the app for Palm OS runs $89.99 in its fullest form, with two lighter version at $49.99 (doesn't support Outlook on that version) and $29.99 (missing a ton of features, like Mac-created doc support). It'd be interesting to see if they stay at that price point or try to go lower - they really have no competition in this arena.

The closest competitor at the moment is MobileFiles Pro by Quickoffice, which only allows for editing of Excel files, and reading of other MS Office documents. That app sells for $9.99.

Looks like we'll know more come MWC - we'll let you know then, too.

AppScout

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Green Apple
    Thanks

Looks to be promising. This is one app that would really add to the iPhone. It's been somewhat of a "missing feature" for business users.

But, I really doubt many iPhone users would be willing to shell out $50 JUST to edit MSOffic Documents on the go. (assuming you would use apple's mail, and save on the outlook package).

The most I'd probably pay would be $25. The general price of most shareware apps for mac. Any more, and Ill wait until I get home to use my computer, which can probably edit better anyway.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

apple should make iwork for iphone

Green Apple
    Thanks

Great something that all other smartphones have and we have to pay for it...not good at all.

How many would be prepared to pay to use office on the go...especially since they may already have paid for a licence to use it on their home computers.

What about companies that may have a number of iphone on their plans, that is a lot to spend out especially in this economic climate.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

They are charging almost the same amount of money as the full office suite costs on PC or Mac... I don;t care if it has twice the features of the original suite, I'll pass. If they do stick with this price point it seems to me this will be yet another app asking to be pirated...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aumz View Post
    How many would be prepared to pay to use office on the go...
    It's only fairly recently that Mobile Office was released on WinMo - before that lots of people bought DataViz so I guess the answer is certainly enough to keep them in business!

I'm not one of them though.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone techgirl's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope that it provides a horizontal keyboard. I would go crazy editing my documents with one finger. lol

Techgirl at your service... Modding MyPhone since Day 1!

AIM: lindseycholmes
    Facebook: lindseycholmes

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

though $100 may seem a lot to some for me it is extremely inexpensive for me. this will be an such a convenience for me.
    Can't wait!!!!

I will opt for the fullest version available
    Last edited by bruinsrme; 02-07-2009 at 08:21 PM.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by royalnewjersey View Post
    I really doubt many iPhone users would be willing to shell out $50 JUST to edit MSOffic Documents on the go.
    For tons of students and business people who need mobile editing of office documents, it'd be well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aumz View Post
    Great something that all other smartphones have and we have to pay for it...not good at all.
    DataViz wouldn't be making this and selling it for $90 if all phones have it - they just don't.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    They are charging almost the same amount of money as the full office suite costs on PC or Mac...
    Office Premium is $499.95.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

dillonsmith9147 (02-08-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Yes but most people get plenty from the basic single use office pack - paid 40 for my mac version and dont use half the features. There is no way that I would pay $50 to edit docs on my iphone.

The most this should be is part of the proposed premium apps in the store at $19.99

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    For tons of students and business people who need mobile editing of office documents, it'd be well worth it.

DataViz wouldn't be making this and selling it for $90 if all phones have it - they just don't.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by techgirl View Post
    I hope that it provides a horizontal keyboard. I would go crazy editing my documents with one finger. lol

....what? I can use both thumbs to type in both landscape and portrait, I don't know why you can't

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbplayer5's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by techgirl View Post
    You cant use 2 thumbs yet?!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bbplayer5 For This Useful Post:

humandart7 (02-15-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone hoits2000's Avatar
    Thanks

"Worth the money? Not at that price point," What? that makes no sense.

"but it is the best mobile document editor I've used." Ya, especially since the article said that they have no competition. Hard to be 2nd when your the only one.

This company sucks. Only retards would by this for 80 bucks. Especially in this economy. They would be lucky to get 30 tops. Even the iphone dropped its price after a few months, then to barely anything a year later.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hoits2000 For This Useful Post:

humandart7 (02-15-2009)

Thanks

i dont really need to use this even if it does come out but for basic text editing purposes i use text guru it works great and is only 99

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    For tons of students ...
    [/URL]
    But the Student edition is 60 for a 3 user licence [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000HCZ8EO/30000191-21/?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE]Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition (3 User Licence) (PC): Microsoft: Amazon.co.uk: Software[/ame]

Just a thought
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    there just asking for the title of most hacked iphone app at that price. Come on really!! what did you mean it only runs on andriod? do we need to hack our os?

Thanks

He said
    The app will also run on Android.
    Not quite the same as
    it only runs on andriod

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not paying that much for an app and for a phone as well and for a phone that is limited by Apple and so features available will be limited due to the SDK. Screw that!

Hmmmm how long before it appears on cracked app sites when it's out, I give it a day.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Any discussion of cracked apps will, as is standard at MMi, be deleted, and the user infracted.

Thanks

Yet another ridiculous price point.

No thanks.