Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rumor: Premium Gaming Section Coming to App Store

Default Rumor: Premium Gaming Section Coming to App Store

There are new rumors circulating that a new section of the App Store dedicated to top-notch gaming titles may be coming soon.

Sources say that the section will cater to titles in the $20 plus range and that games will have to meet stringent requirements for quality and value as decided by Apple.

You would think that this would help with the issue some developers have with Apple's policies stifling innovation in the App store by promoting cheap apps. But AppleInsider reports that "Oddly, however, the report claims that the initiative will be open only to a restricted number of commercial game publishers, shutting out the thousands of smaller developers responsible for helping the App Store thrive from the onset."

In an interview just this week, Apple vice president of iPhone and iPod product marketing Greg Joswiak talks about this: He defended the existing system by which games and applications get to prime placement in the App Store, pointing out the App Store's reviews "because if a small guy makes a title that gets good ratings, it tends to bubble up: the cream does rise." He further said, "You get the one or two-developer shops like the Pangeas, who are doing a great business, with anecdotal stories like paying off their home mortgages after a month or two of being in the store."

The rumor speculates that the idea of the premium game shop would be to get iPhone users to spend out of their comfort range (which Joswiak thinks is between $7 an $14) to try out the very best in mobile device gaming.

I think a section for premium gaming would be sweet, but I think they should open it to little guys too, or else they're not giving smaller developers a chance to "rise." For now it's all just rumors though.

source: AppleInsider | Rumor: Apple planning premium game section of App Store
    AppleChic

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AppleChic For This Useful Post:

Ramsin5894 (01-31-2009)

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

God I hope so. We need more "quality".

I think its a good idea, but I swear if there was a way to download a preview app that is exactly the same as the $10 apps, no lite versions, that only ran for like 10 minutes, there would be many more sales and much less disappointed customers who wasted money on an app that sounds cool and turns out hard to use or poorly made or something.
    i LOVE apple.

we need more quality. Are you serious? Look at games like brothers in arms, hero of Sparta, tiki towers, bugdom & bubble bash pretty good quality. I know games like tetris & pacman suck big time on the iPhone. My point is we have quality as is. More power to get more brand games in hopefully like mario would be nice. But we do have quality in the appstore

There are also apps like iFart, can we just make a "crappy app" category and then allow users to filter them out? I'd go for that over creating a high quality section. (gotta have your priorities)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chinosoflyy198 View Post
    we need more quality. Are you serious? Look at games like brothers in arms, hero of Sparta, tiki towers, bugdom & bubble bash pretty good quality. I know games like tetris & pacman suck big time on the iPhone. My point is we have quality as is. More power to get more brand games in hopefully like mario would be nice. But we do have quality in the appstore
    Yeah, I can name probably 10 "quality" games in the appstore.....

Out of THOUSANDS.

Not very good odds.

What game is that in the screenshot?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cawaker View Post
    What game is that in the screenshot?
    Bubble Bash

i think it is a good idea but i dont know how many people are going to want to pay that much for an app

but this is definitely a step closer to apple's claim to have the ipod touch be a revoloutionary gaming device

iPhone? More like MyPhone kainisable's Avatar
    Thanks

great idea, now i can find the ones worth getting, i hate scrolling though all those cheap worthless apps

Like What i Said?, Hit The Thanks Button!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kainisable View Post
    great idea, now i can find the ones worth getting, i hate scrolling though all those cheap worthless apps
    Same!
    I hate crap apps!!!

yeh i agree so many pointless apps on the apple store. Hopefully they release an premium game section, I'm sure peoeple wouldn't mind spending over 10 dollars on games if there great quality

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,277 Times in 652 Posts

premium gaming section meh.

how about a premium appstore free from the 15000 crap apps?

Thanks

^How about a quality "AppStore"......

and a "Crap" section

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

ipoong (01-31-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catfacts View Post
    can we just make a "crappy app" category and then allow users to filter them out?
    I agree, some sort of filter for apps that are worthless would be of great assistance in appstore navigation. Honestly, I don't have time to sit and screw with my phone for hours sorting through thousands of apps. If an app gets horrible ratings for an extended period of time, they should force it to be free, and if the reviews are still horrible, they should just remove it. Kinda like a garage sale; if you can't sell something because no one wants to buy it, you offer it for free, and if there still aren't any takers you throw it away.

I do think that a high end section would be nice, but I probably wont be spending 20 bucks for any kind of iPhone app (unless it truly is amazing).

Also, is it just me, or does the phone in the screen shot look like it has a translucent frame? I want a translucent frame!
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Quote Originally Posted by Grassmasta View Post
    I agree, some sort of filter for apps that are worthless would be of great assistance in appstore navigation. Honestly, I don't have time to sit and screw with my phone for hours sorting through thousands of apps. If an app gets horrible ratings for an extended period of time, they should force it to be free, and if the reviews are still horrible, they should just remove it. Kinda like a garage sale; if you can't sell something because no one wants to buy it, you offer it for free, and if there still aren't any takers you throw it away.

I do think that a high end section would be nice, but I probably wont be spending 20 bucks for any kind of iPhone app (unless it truly is amazing).

Also, is it just me, or does the phone in the screen shot look like it has a translucent frame? I want a translucent frame!
    Agreed. There are so many worthless apps, I can see the need for a section like this, but the most Ive ever spent on an app was $10 for Asphalt4, $8 for Labyrinth and thats it. Apple had been rejecting apps because of copying the functionality of their apps (No Opera for iPhone) but they allow how many flashlight apps? Is ridiculous how many apps arent even worth being hosted in the app store. You want a flashlight? Open your Email!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From what I've read elsewhere, this category is going to be for more full-fledged games (much more content and size, close to 1GB in some examples some rumors point). Apple is trying to chip in on the mobile market like the DS/PSP by opening up a spot where developers can throw full blown games on the iPhone for the appropiate cost without having to deal with the "everything is .99 or free!" mentality.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

^I look at it this way.......

Whether your gonna spend $20 on a game or not.....its just giving the user more choices and at least the availability of "better" apps. Whether you choose to use them or not, its not gonna hurt anybody from them being there.