+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Latest Firmware Hints at an Upcoming iPhone Model!?!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple launched the original iPhone 2 years back in June and then the iPhone 3G in July last year. As this is the third year in series, we all expect
    Thanks

Exclamation Latest Firmware Hints at an Upcoming iPhone Model!?!
    Apple launched the original iPhone 2 years back in June and then the iPhone 3G in July last year. As this is the third year in series, we all expect a newer version of this revolutionary device. What's better is that as per some solid proofs found by MacRumors, it seems that they have already been working on it!

The latest 2.2.1 firmware has an iPhone product model 2,1 hidden deep inside the metadata. Apple uses these numbers to differentiate different hardware versions. So, this hints at a new version of the iPhone as the model of current 3G version is just 1,2. This new model number can be located in USBDeviceConfiguration.plist of a decrypted firmware.

Another proof of the above is that a developer from PinchMedia have also pointed towards web hits from this new model number based on server reports.

Now, this could very well be a typo by some Apple software expert but for now, it seems to be quite truthful.

[via MacRumors]
    Last edited by sayam; 01-29-2009 at 11:31 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wasn't there talk about a CDMA iphone a while back? Could this have anything to do with that?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think they are still under contract with ATT till 2012, correct me if im wrong, either 2012 or 2010, but either way with the iPhone being global now and doing pretty well outside the U.S. I don't see Apple making a CDMA version just for the states...but then who knows?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 224 Posts

wow..its coming in June/ early july

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    June or July? Cool. I will tell my friend to hold off buying a 3G in February. She is in no hurry but you know...new toys are fun!

Green Apple
    Thanks

ERRRRR....last year i bought my iphone 2g in march, 3g comes out in july, I just bought my 3g last week now new ones gonna come out again....to ebay the 3g goes lol

Thanks

i think that they may be developing an iphone for use with the next generation mobile internet maybe wimax or LTE (4G) i cannot see them making a cdma version because they wouldnt even be able to release it until 2012

as history has shown every new release has a whole new look and feel so if they do release a new iphone then it will most likely have a 3.0 firmware with some new revolutionary thing like flash... and it will most likely also have next gen network capabilities

Thanks

I bought 3G on October 31st and am stuck with it till 31st October this year! LOL

Thanks

iPhone nano methinks?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Lol, nope. You guys have it all wrong. None of that code indicates another iPhone model in the slightest. I guess I'd have to see the full XML in order to tell for sure, but that really doesn't look like something they'd put in a firmware not intended for the new model. They still have about a year until a new model is unveiled, and I'm pretty sure Apple has plans for at least one more firmware release before then. Why would they start setting up for the new iPhone now?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Risingstar View Post
    Lol, nope. You guys have it all wrong. None of that code indicates another iPhone model in the slightest. I guess I'd have to see the full XML in order to tell for sure, but that really doesn't look like something they'd put in a firmware not intended for the new model. They still have about a year until a new model is unveiled, and I'm pretty sure Apple has plans for at least one more firmware release before then. Why would they start setting up for the new iPhone now?
    Risingstar, it's not compatible with the new model. It just having some traces of the firmware apple is testing for the next version of iPhone. And I said, there's a chance that it can just be a typo...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Risingstar View Post
    Why would they start setting up for the new iPhone now?
    Why not just passed the 2 year announcement anniversary. both models have been released in the summer. Apple is coming off an amazing sales report. Who knows, Steve could just be telling the new guy to just press the button and show off his new kitten.

iPhone? More like MyPhone r1994augusto's Avatar
    Thanks

thats good!

Thanks

I know..... it the Obama Black Berry replacement!

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

This is how the MacBook Air was discovered before being announced too. The 2nd part, anyways.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I need a software update for my 1G that hasn't half the features of other smartphones not a new iPhone!!!

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone wgm214's Avatar
    Thanks

im holding on to my first gen till this comes out, hopefully the plan isnt much more. I think this could definetly be an indication, i mean it just makes sense to release another one this summer. What about the name though? i havnt really thought of a good guess besides iphone nano...
    Wanna-be coder/iphone user since '08

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iPhone 4G, duh

Thanks

I'm really hoping for a new iPhone this summer.
    My first gen contract will expire then,
    plus, it's battery is barely hanging in there.

iPhone? More like MyPhone wgm214's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah but 4g sounds a little far fetched, at least here in the US, their saying they've seen users from near cupertino using a fw with 2,1. They expect it to be a major difference compared with the upgrade from the og to the 3g. i cant wait.
    Wanna-be coder/iphone user since '08