+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2.2.1 Breaks 3g Unlock, Does Not Break Jailbreak Method

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
What could be easier than jailbreaking?
    Thanks

What could be easier than jailbreaking?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone qbnucca's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Help!
    Look i have a 3g 16gb i accidently upgraded to 2.2.1 plz give me some hope to unlocking this phone. I cant find any help theres gotta be something i can do plz help

Thanks

All you can do is wait and hope.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Does anyone have issues making & receiving calls over EDGE with a J/B iPhone? Phone works fine on 3G, but won't use voice on EDGE. Data works, but not voice. On latest firmware.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just sold my 2G on eBay. So I got a 3G on the 28th. The first thing I checked was the firmware. It was 2.2.1 I jailbroke it as soon as I got home. I've had no problems making calls on either 3G or Edge. I really have no need to unlock b/c I'm on AT&T. But I'll do it just b/c when its fixed. Keep up the good work guys!

Thanks

If you're on AT&T you have no problem.
    The unlock is a program that runs on boot - if you have no intention of using your phone on another network what's the point of running it?
    There are lots of programmes that CAN run on your iPhone - it doesn't mean you have to run them.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of 3G
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi,

I'm in deep ****. My husband gave me a Iphone for our anniversary. The unlock was by jailbreak I think. I used itunes to add music and contacts etc. A few times itunes said a software update is available which was 2.2.1. I ignored it, but then yesterday it happened. I updated and now my phone says only emergency calls. Itunes said that the sim is not the one provided by the Carrier and i should get a replacement sim or use the one by the Carrier. What do I do? Please advice.. I feel horrible

Thanks

You are in deep ****

The phone you have was, by the sounds of it, unlocked with YellowSn0w - this only works with BB 2.28 and updating your FW to 2.21 via iTunes has updated the BB to 2.30.03 (which seems to be the main reason for this FW release)

Which carrier are you with? Your choices are:
    a) Get an AT&T SIM
    b) Get a piggeyback SIM that works with 2.30.03 (Gevey SIMs seem popular in the USA - but make sure it's one that works with this BB) - these are not always reliable.
    c) Get a new iPhone off eBay with FW 2.2 and sell the one you've got....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

IphoneNovis (03-13-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,170 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IphoneNovis View Post
    Hi,

I'm in deep ****. My husband gave me a Iphone for our anniversary. The unlock was by jailbreak I think. I used itunes to add music and contacts etc. A few times itunes said a software update is available which was 2.2.1. I ignored it, but then yesterday it happened. I updated and now my phone says only emergency calls. Itunes said that the sim is not the one provided by the Carrier and i should get a replacement sim or use the one by the Carrier. What do I do? Please advice.. I feel horrible
    yeah you updated the baseband. there's no software unlock for the new baseband, you could use an AT&T sim or look into a turbo sim to get your non AT&T carrier to work again. SRY

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Broomhead For This Useful Post:

IphoneNovis (03-13-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you so much Confucius and Broomhead. Sniff sniff do you think there is hope for a solution? The phone was originally on O2 (UK). If you think a turbosim will work then i'll check that out..I dont know what I was thinking. My husband had warned me about updating..things were just horrible yesterday for me..I fell down the stairs on a way to a wedding and ....Sorry to ramble on! but yesterday was a horrible horrible day! I loved my Iphone sniff

Another thing, my phone was unlocked too as I could use it with my sim, not on O2.
    Last edited by IphoneNovis; 03-14-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Iphone 3G unlock(Downloads and Jailbreak)
    iPhone 3G - Downloads
    Download the 2.2.1 firmware file from here

Windows users: Quickpwn 2.2.5 Download here

Windows users: iTunes 8.0 Download here

Windows users: .NET Framework version 2.0 Download here

iPhone 3G - Jailbreak 2.2.1

Notes:
    1.Before beginning: You must have iTunes 8 installed and you must be on firmware 2.1, if you are not, be sure to update via iTunes.
    Also make sure to go into the task manager and disable ANYTHING Apple or iTunes related.
    2. WindowsXP user must download the NET Framework version 2.0 (Click to download)
    3. WindowsXP user should be sure" Control Panel " -> " Administrative Tools " -> "Telnet ,messenger ,terminal services" (Be sure three services are turned on)

4.Download Firmware 2.2.1 (3G) (Click to download)

Step 1

Make a folder on your desktop & name it Pwnage.Download the Firmware 2.2.1 & Pwnage tool 2.2.5 & place them in Pwnage folder you just created on your desktop:Unzip/Unrar the QuickPwn2.2.5-2.zip file inside the Pwnage folder.

Step 2

Launch iTunes and connect your iPhone 3G to the computer via USB cable.

Select your iPhone from the list of devices on the left side navigation bar. Now hold down shift while clicking the Restore button.

Navigate to the Pwnage folder you created on your desktop and select the 2.1 firmware ipsw file. Double click the ipsw file or select it and click the Open button to proceed.

Step 3

Once iTunes has finished upgrading your iPhone 3G to the 2.2.1 firmware you may launch QuickPwn 2.2.5 from the Pwnage folder you created on your desktop.

Step 4

Make sure you iPhone 3G is still connected to the computer via USB cable then click the blue arrow to proceed.

Step 5

Click the Browse button to locate your iPhone 3G firmware.

Step 6

QuickPwn will check to verify that the ipsw file is valid. After completetion of the verification, click the blue arrow button to proceed.

Step 7

Selecting(Add Cydia)
    This step allows you select what you’d like installed on your iPhone. You have the ability to select Cydia, Installer, and replace boot logos. Once you have made your selections click the blue arrow to continue on. If you want a full jailbreaking experience, installing Cydia and Installer is highly recommended

Step 8

QuickPwn will now ask you to confirm your iPhone 3G is still connected via USB cable before it continues. Click the blue arrow button to proceed.

Step 9

QuickPwn will now automatically put your iPhone into recovery mode. Once its in recovery mode you will be prompted to: Hold the Home button for 5 seconds, Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds, then release the Power button and continuing holding the Home button until your iPhone is in DFU mode.

Step 10

Once QuickPwn detects your iPhone 3G in DFU mode it will begin the jailbreaking process.

Step 11

Once jailbreaking is complete QuickPwn will inform you that it was successfull.

More information Downloads and Jailbreak|unlock iphone 3g for star telecom

Thanks

OK iphoneNovis - you can safely ignore the post by 'handsome' - it is a simple copy of some instructions to jailbrake and, apart from the title, has nothing to do with unlocking.

Who is your SIM with? TurboSIM is just one make of 'piggyback' SIMs, some work better than others - I recommend you avoid Rebel SIMs but none are perfect.

Your only other option is to get an O2 SIM depending on how much you use your phone. I actually use mine very little so have bought a PAYG SIM with unlimited data access for a year (I use data a LOT) and might use that when my T-Mobile contract expires next month.

FW 3.0 will come out in a few months and that will probably be unlocked quite quickly - which is why they will not unlock BB 2.30.03, if they do it will make unlocking 3.0 so much more difficult.

Hope you weren't hurt when you fell down the stairs and the wedding went OK.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

IphoneNovis (03-19-2009)

Thanks

Ignore the above post because once you update to firmware 2.2.1 & BB 2.30 through iTunes, you can not downgrade the the baseband to 2.28 even if your downgrade your firmware to 2.2 or install a custom firmware. The baseband will still remain at 2.30, which cannot be unlocked by yellowsn0w.

Look for a SIM unlocker like RebelSIM, TurboSIM or Gevey 3G 2Plus. Make sure they say they will work with the 2.2.1 firmware and baseband 2.30.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to reddawg For This Useful Post:

IphoneNovis (03-19-2009)

Thanks

I think reddawg was typing at the same time as me.
    His advice is good but avoid RebelSIM - there support is non existent, they don't reply to emails and my experience of them has been nothing short of appalling.
    Gevey are very popular in the USA but I don't think they are sold in the UK.
    Your best bet is actually eBay - most offer a full moneyback guarantee and they should be able to tell you if it will work.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks again guys. Turobsim option sounds really good until a permanent solution comes along. The new 3.0 software looks great as well. Do you think my locked phone would be able to upgrade to that hahaha

I have one other question, very dumb but I have to ask..
    When my iphone got updated via iTunes it got locked and said that I should put the carrier sim in or get a replacement SIM from the carrier. The iphone screen says Insert Carrier Sim and only allows emergency calls. When I put in an O2 sim (the iphone was not connected to iTunes via lapton) it was still locked (I have a feeling my O2 sim has expired). I live in Pakistan by the way.

My question is: If the O2 sim isn't expired why didnt the lock unlock? Do I have to turn on the iphone with the O2 sim while connected to iTunes? If it has expired will the TurboSim option work with my Pakistani SIM?

Thank you so much..I know its a rather long post with more than one question.

Thanks

If you jailbrake your phone it will bypass the activation.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ummm sorry Confucious..I did not at all understand what you mean

Thanks

No problem.

All iPhones need to be activated in order to work and until tehy are activated you can not use them.
    If you jailbrake it bypasses the activation so you don't need an original SIM and can just jailbrake with you Pakistani SIM. If you head over to iClarified.com they have some very good tutorials on how to jailbrake.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My phone was originally unlocked and jailbroken i think as I could use cydia and installer...but since i stupidly updated the phone to 2.2.1 it got locked again so I'm not sure if jailbreak will work again?? What do you think?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IphoneNovis View Post
    My phone was originally unlocked and jailbroken i think as I could use cydia and installer...but since i stupidly updated the phone to 2.2.1 it got locked again so I'm not sure if jailbreak will work again?? What do you think?
    In the future, read the thread before you post, and no, you will not be able to unlock your iPhone period. 2.2.1 has a new baseband which the dev team cannot break. So until the Dev Team releases an unlock for 2.2.1 or higher, you are out of luck software wise. If you want to look for some hardware mods, changing the sims, read through the last few pages of the thread, I know someone mentioned it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]